Mule scales

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

djinnzfree wrote:Received my 3 set, orange, black & earth brown. As Whkento write, Go! i recommend them!
Djinnz, pictures mounted please!!! :spyder:
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
P40_Warhawk

Post by P40_Warhawk »

I have a great guy that makes them for me.
He is Zach Barringer and can be reached via email beginragnarok@hotmail.com.
He made these for me and is now working on a third...

whkento

Post by whkento »

Wow, those are really pretty. Congrats, Warhawk. And thanks for sharing the pics! :)
djinnzfree

Post by djinnzfree »

Monkeywrangler wrote:Djinnz, pictures mounted please!!! :spyder:

Their not mounted.
Before doing mistake i would like to know...
-If i have to epoxy the scales before mounted them on the handle knife?
-Did G10 is easy to drill for a lanyard hole?
-The back of the scale looks like more colorfull than the front... is their something i can do to clean/clear the front scale? (the orange one looks like salmon color)

Note: i'ved got 3 MT03P, an only one will be mounted. The two other ones will stay as "showroom" in their box for my Twins boys when they'll have the right age. Their now 28 mounths! ;)
I ♥ blade, kite, motorcycle and _ _ X!
whkento

Post by whkento »

Well, I've read (don't know first-hand) that you don't need to epoxy them. I doubt I'll epoxy mine unless it's absolutely necessary.

Also, I think I remember someone mentioning putting something (oil?) on the scales to bring out the color. I was gonna post a question about how to do this, but you beat me to it... :p

Re. the lanyard hole, I was thinking of drilling a hole, too, but only have a hand drill (no drill press). Would appreciate advice here.
djinnzfree

Post by djinnzfree »

Hi Whkento,
Get a look there , nothing about epoxy or not... but about oil to "clear" the color handle yes!
Thanks to this bloggers!
I ♥ blade, kite, motorcycle and _ _ X!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

djinnzfree wrote:-The back of the scale looks like more colorfull than the front... is their something i can do to clean/clear the front scale? (the orange one looks like salmon color)
I am told that it is common for milled G10 to look a bit "dry" and that adding an oil, like mineral oil, will bring that slightly more vibrant "wet" look which it should retain for a while.. other oils might work better, but I have definitely read that, and heard it recommended for stock black scales that were starting to look greyish, so hopefully that will work for you as well.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
whkento

Post by whkento »

djinnzfree wrote:Hi Whkento,
Get a look there , nothing about epoxy or not... but about oil to "clear" the color handle yes!
Thanks to this bloggers!
defenestrate wrote:I am told that it is common for milled G10 to look a bit "dry" and that adding an oil, like mineral oil, will bring that slightly more vibrant "wet" look which it should retain for a while.. other oils might work better, but I have definitely read that, and heard it recommended for stock black scales that were starting to look greyish, so hopefully that will work for you as well.
Well, as usual, Mr. Poff is ahead of the curve. :cool:

Thanks to the above posters and, of course, Mr. Poff. I'll go looking for some mineral oil as time allows. I've been thinking about getting some for some kitchen knives' blades, anyway... ;)
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

djinnz, thank you for the pics. It helped me get an idea what they look like.
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

WD-40, LPS, Silicone, Mineral Oil, etc all work fine on G-10 scales to bring the shine back out on them. You can also polish them with some 600 grit sandpaper and oil.
TooSharp

Post by TooSharp »

I like a clean buffing wheel with no compound, it will bring out the shine. You can pick one up for a couple of dollars that fits on a drill.

Also on cleaning G10, I found something that works great, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Extra Power.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I want to get a new Mule to see the newer Halpern Titanium scales.

Here is the info on them:
Melanie wrote:Image

The NEW Limited Edition Mule Scales are in! We've made just 12 sets in each of the following colors: Black, Orange, Coyote Brown & Earth Brown

These Full Size curved handles are slimmer around the edges for beautiful fit in your hand. Checkered Texture!
$35.00 per set, Hardware sold seperately for $5.00

We also have some of Options 1-3 on hand. Email me for a full listing of avaiability and current prices. mel@halperntitanium.com
I wonder how long it will be until I see a Mule that I want to buy. Maybe I need to buy the scales before I buy the Mule.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
whkento

Post by whkento »

Hector Castro wrote:WD-40, LPS, Silicone, Mineral Oil, etc all work fine on G-10 scales to bring the shine back out on them. You can also polish them with some 600 grit sandpaper and oil.
Good to know--thanks. :)
TooSharp wrote:I like a clean buffing wheel with no compound, it will bring out the shine. You can pick one up for a couple of dollars that fits on a drill.

Also on cleaning G10, I found something that works great, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Extra Power.
I may try the buffing wheel idea, too. I've got a small one on a dremel-type tool. Thanks for the magic eraser info., as well. :)

Now I just need some alone time with my mules...

Hehe, I just read that line. Could be misconstrued. :p