Got my paramilitary 2!!!!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

i disagree. i dont think he would want a bunch of fans crowding him, asking for pics/auto's etc etc.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

plus via an informal computer program is very different.
anyway im not saying i don't like it. i do in fact. im not talking about a simple engraving per say. just adding stuff doesn't strike me as something he would so. maybe im wrong. im sure he gave careful thought about adding additional stuff like another engraving to his knives. but i like that its small and simple and sophisticated. not just a simple s and g. i don't mind it. but multiple engraving, logo's, a saying, brand icons etc clogs up the blade. that's why so many hate cc models and wont buy them
jasong911

Post by jasong911 »

Here's a better shot of the clip...

By jasong911 at 2010-07-21
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

does the black look dull or muted a little?
i like the big lanyard hole. cant wait for shiney cf para 2 ;)
jasong911

Post by jasong911 »

The black is the same black as on the Military, black g-10 with fine texture. Black, not gray. Not muted.

--Jason
angusW

Post by angusW »

Thanks for the pics Jason. That is looking really nice. I don't know the history behind the Para 1 or 2, but I guess with both Sal's and Eric's sig on the blade is an indication that both had significant input to the design of the model. The sigs are so small it doesn't lessen it for me at all.

The only downside to the Para 2 that I can see is the clip. The clip on the Military and the Para 1 are part of what make it a Mili or Para but I guess as a southpaw I should be happy, and I am, that this clip can be moved to either side.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Why would anyone want Sal's autograph just to have it?

I think that it's cool that Spyderco usually has a logo of the designer on the blades. I like that touch.
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

D1omedes wrote:I disagree. I think Sal is the kind of guy that would be fine with signing an autograph for someone who truly wanted it. After all, Sal is always answering our questions and interacting with his customers via the forums. That's something that speaks volumes about his character.

I know there are some out there who are minimalists and would prefer no markings on their knives. I think that as long as it is done tastefully, it's fine. I think the addition of Eric's signature on the Para 2 looks cool and if anything, adds a talking point when someone looks at your new EDC. :)
I agree with everything you said bud :)

I like the markings on my knives. Sure I don't want it totally cluttered but I LOVE the new Para 2!!! Everything about it is outstanding, and to see both Sal and Eric's emblems on it makes it THAT much cooler! :D
Vic
tac

Post by tac »

SmoothOne25 wrote:i disagree. i dont think he would want a bunch of fans crowding him, asking for pics/auto's etc etc.
Ever seen him at a knife show? There are plenty of Spydie fans crowding around him, and he doesn't seem to mind. Although I didn't see anyone asking for autographs, and pics weren't allowed...
35+ :spyder: since 2009, and counting...
kawr

Post by kawr »

Looks really awesome but there are reports that its got blade play out of the box. Is it true? If it doesnt affect function I'd still buy it though.
gac

Post by gac »

Nice.
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

SmoothOne25 wrote:what puzzles me is that sal is very low key, quiet guy. doesnt obsess about praise. im surpised a man like sal would ever sign or put initials on any knife. doesnt seem like something he would do.
It's not about ego. Sal doesn't put his sig on a design for Sal, he puts it there for the buyers who want to see who designed their knife. It's also helpful for those who know a particular designer's knives work well for them. If it were done to satisfy the desires of his personality, to gain recognition and praise, it probably wouldn't have completely slipped his mind to have it put on a recent model until after it had shipped...
"Nothing makes a knife maker-designer feel better than to see their efforts used." -Ed
~ My knives list ~
~ Knife photos ~
Eric Glesser

Post by Eric Glesser »

Thanks for the enthusiasm on the Para2. The forums feedback has been instrumental in the refinements made to this design and we’ll continue our CQI.

hi markg - Thanks for the feedback, I hope we’ll make you say “gee, I have changed my mind on the paramilitary 2.” I know we can’t win them all though, the original is a classic.
btw, the clip is just our standard hour glass clip from Japan.

hi SmoothOne25 – My dad has been known to give an autograph if asked, he’s not the snobby musician who pushes the fan aside. Though my father says, “man who beats on own chest, knocks self over.”

Speaking of beating on chests – the tags. Typically we put small tags on some of our favorite designs, but there’s been no science to it. Recently we’ve been adding tags to more and more designs because people do ask.

In this case the first few hundred had only my dad’s, after seeing this we put my tag on. I jumped at the opportunity to share space with his.

Then it got more complicated, after seeing the tags together we pushed my tag smaller and behind the hole. (together they seemed like too much) That’s how future production will be engraved. We certainly didn’t plan for this - apologies. :o
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Eric Glesser wrote:We certainly didn’t plan for this - apologies. :o
I'm sure everyone will manage to adjust.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Ha, that's funny so there are three different versions of the tags. Anyway, great design! I just ordered one.
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Eric Glesser wrote: Then it got more complicated, after seeing the tags together we pushed my tag smaller and behind the hole. (together they seemed like too much) That’s how future production will be engraved. We certainly didn’t plan for this - apologies. :o

Thanks for the answers Eric :D

I hope I can get a hold of one with both of the tags side by side, I for one think it looks great!
Vic
jonnydingo

Post by jonnydingo »

I am ready cash in hand and paypal. I am holding out for an orange or any other color. Bring on the Sprint Runs...
Spydie addict,

Two of the following,
Manix 2 CF s90v
Manix 2 Blue s30v
Manix 2 Foilage XHP
E4 USN
E4 Blue
Ladybug Orange H1 and torx screws
Just one of each,
Sage CF
E4 White
E4 G10
Pink Manix 2
E4 Purple
Ladybug White
Orange Millie
Native
Pacific salt yellow
markg

Post by markg »

Eric Glesser wrote:

hi markg - Thanks for the feedback, I hope we’ll make you say “gee, I have changed my mind on the paramilitary 2.” I know we can’t win them all though, the original is a classic.
btw, the clip is just our standard hour glass clip from Japan.

o
I am sure I will, it is a trade off. Getting the knife to be tip up will be nice. Is there any chance of getting the clips made with a black coating? I think that might be better. And yes, I am sure I will get used to it. :)

Also, will these be made in digi-camo like the previous version? I would like that.
davibocce

Post by davibocce »

StangBang wrote:Thanks for the answers Eric :D

I hope I can get a hold of one with both of the tags side by side, I for one think it looks great!
+1

I really like the look of both tags together!
:spyder: Manix 2 | Delica 4 FFG | Endura 4 FFG | Endura 4 G10 | Tenacious | Labybug 3 | Byrd Finch :spyder:
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

the knife looks nice, thanks for the pics. as for Sal's signature you can always go and buy the Russian edition endura4 with it on the blade ;) .
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D