Urban Vs Dragonfly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ProfessorMartini

Urban Vs Dragonfly

Post by ProfessorMartini »

I like knives that are lightweight and that can be carried in the pocket easily without utilizing the clip. The Urban works pretty well in this regard, but I'm attracted to the ridiculous lightness that the FRN Dragonfly seems to have. I don't have a dealer near me to handle the knives, so I was wondering if anyone owns both an Urban and a FRN Dragonfly, and if you could give me your thoughts on if purchasing a Dragonfly would be worth it seeing as though I already own an Urban (lock is not a necessity with me).
Delica 4 CE stainless, Terzuola, Urban Leaf, H1 Ladybug PE, Dragonfly FRN
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

well, i don't have an urban, but i just got a frn dragonfly pe a few months back.
i love this little knife! it's so light i don't even know it's there.
i use the pocket clip, and the only thing about it, the clip isn't near as tight as i would like. but as you stated, this won't be an issue for you.
it's a great little slicer with a nice pointy tip.
i highly recomend the df. very sheeple friendly!
i added a fob to mine.
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The only "problem" with the FRN Dragonfly is the molded FRN clip. It cannot be removed (at least not without using a saw), looks hideous, and feels odd in the hand. Aside from that, it's an excellent littly slicer.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

They are both great knives for this, but the Dragonfly is better for dropping in the pocket. I like the lock. You can really get a good grip on the D-fly, too. It's a great little big knife that you need. Maybe sharpguitarist's and my pics will help you out...

- best wishes, Jazz.
cckw

Post by cckw »

I have Urban Warncliffe and black FRN dragonfly I have the D fly on my keychain so it is what I carry most. Urban is a nice knife. So there is no definite answer, what I choose may be the opposite of what you like, but for the exact same reason.

rereading the question I want to change my answer to: D fly blade is a great size and shape and it is a knife you should buy regardless of how it compares to Urban
tac

Post by tac »

ProfessorMartini wrote:I like knives that are lightweight and that can be carried in the pocket easily without utilizing the clip. The Urban works pretty well in this regard, but I'm attracted to the ridiculous lightness that the FRN Dragonfly seems to have. I don't have a dealer near me to handle the knives, so I was wondering if anyone owns both an Urban and a FRN Dragonfly, and if you could give me your thoughts on if purchasing a Dragonfly would be worth it seeing as though I already own an Urban (lock is not a necessity with me).
My thoughts: It's absolutely worth it. Purchasing Spydies is always worth it. Since you like smaller knives, you should also purchase a Bug, Honeybee, Grasshopper, Cricket, and the Ladybug variations you don't yet own. Those small knives don't cost much, so why limit yourself to just one or two? There's something to like about each and every one of them. :)
35+ :spyder: since 2009, and counting...
STi

Post by STi »

Have both prefer dragonfly.
ProfessorMartini

Post by ProfessorMartini »

D'oh! You guys are enablers!
I didn't realize it was "that" much smaller than the Urban. Which makes it unique enough to purchase, IMO.
Thank you!
Delica 4 CE stainless, Terzuola, Urban Leaf, H1 Ladybug PE, Dragonfly FRN
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Also, the Dragonfly with G-10 is only two ounces WITH the clip. If you don't use the clip, you could remove it and put it away, and save yourself a few grams.
markg

Post by markg »

I prefer the older Navigator II to the Dragonfly. The Dragonfly has never felt quite right in the hand for me.

I hope to get an Urban soon, frankly I prefer a lock-less knife for this size of knife and the mission it will fulfill.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Dfly will be a great purchase for you, but I also agree with MarkG on the Navigator. I like that handle better - fits my hand better.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
tac

Post by tac »

ProfessorMartini wrote:D'oh! You guys are enablers!
I didn't realize it was "that" much smaller than the Urban. Which makes it unique enough to purchase, IMO.
Thank you!
A wise decision. You won't regret it. :)
35+ :spyder: since 2009, and counting...
Cave Dave

Post by Cave Dave »

Got an Urban and haven't used the Dragonfly since. The slightly larger Urban is much easier to open one handed. I like the clip better too.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I've been trying to resist the orange Urban. This thread isn't helping. Trying to save some cash for all the upcoming releases! Too many :spyder: s!
:bug-red-white
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I've been trying to resist the orange Urban. This thread isn't helping.
Well, I'm sad to say, the Orange Urban is terrific.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

The D'fly is my favorite "little big knife" - it takes abuse that I would expect to absolutely wreck many of the longer knives (Manix2 and other really havy-duty models notwithstanding), doesn't take up too much space, is incredibly light despite being so stout in use, and is priced right. There are many variations in color and handle type and I believe that any of them would make a fine user. Get a D'fly. You won't regret it.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

gbelleh wrote:I've been trying to resist the orange Urban. This thread isn't helping. Trying to save some cash for all the upcoming releases! Too many :spyder: s!
I had wanted an Urban since they came out, but others kept getting in the way and I couldnt budget for full price Urban and it became 2nd tier on the "want" list. I did a different strategy - I bid on ebay for Urbans at a ridiculously low price ~40% off best internet price. I figured if I won at a low price, I couldnt pass up the deal. If I lost, no harm, no foul. I now have my orange Urban at bargain price with no guilt and didnt break the bank!
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

gbelleh wrote:I've been trying to resist the orange Urban. This thread isn't helping. Trying to save some cash for all the upcoming releases! Too many :spyder: s!

;) :D

- best wishes, Jazz.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

You guys are a bunch of enablers! The Urban is a good looking knife!
:bug-red-white
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

You guys are a bunch of enablers!
Oh, boo-hoo! Suck it up.