Tactical Pens, Who All Has Them, and What Do You Like?????

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Fuglee

Post by Fuglee »

I carry a Zebra F-701. It's a tough pen, refillable, writes well, and it only costs about $5. I lose way too many pens to carry a $100 one. Plus, if you ever do use it in a fight, it's not a "tactical pen" which could be to your advantage.

Kubotan stuff works relatively well. A lot of reverse grip knife stuff works, punyo (butt end of stick) stuff works well too. Guntings (limb destructions) from FMA's work relatively well with them. It's easier to do some body manipulations with them than if you were empty handed, such as head/neck turns. The pointy bit obviously works well almost anywhere on the neck or face region.

Like Mr. Janich said though, "The less capable your weapon, the more you must 'back it up' with other skills."

I do appreciate sturdy pens and flashlights because there are many places where weapons simply aren't allowed but, in my opinion, they are overrated as "weapons". My biggest fear with them is that they might give some people a false sense of security.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Just got this one, a S&W Military and Police. It's about the same size and weight the Cross Townsend in the photo with it. That's a plus to me, as the Townsend is my favorite pen. Even better, like the Townsend, the cap is designed so it can be placed securely on the body when the pen is open. To me, that's a big plus over the original S&W tactical pen, where your choices are to hold the cap in your other hand, rest it down somewhere, or let it sit loose on top of the pen while you write. Haven't tried this yet but it appears that, when closed, it could be handy for dialing my cell phone and working a small calculator. Definitely worth the $23.00 I paid for it.

Here it is open, with the Townsend

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

Closed, and with a fifty year old Parker Jotter for size comparison...

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

Can't make up my mind whether the M&P logo on the cap is neat or hokey...

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Pen with cap off...

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

Marion David Poff wrote:Howdy,

My brother is contemplating buying one of those tactical pens, and I thought I would do some research, and see what you all think of the type and the available models.

I have the BM Pen, the first one, and I quite like it. He is thinking of buying one of those.

I like the look of the Mil-Tac and Surefire models, does anyone have them?

Thanks
BM for me......... great addition to my EDC arsenal.

Post by 224477 »

Wow Deac, you got a tac-pen for yourself? :eek:
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

I have a handful, and have been disappointed with all but two of them. Keep in mind that a tactical pen is not just a kubaton you can write with. They're ideal for folks who need a sturdy pen, because they break cheap ones.

The two that haven't let me down:

1) Mil-Tac pen.

2) County Comm Embassy Pen.

The Embassy pen is especially nice if you'd rather not have a sharp tip on your pen in the closed position. The Mil-Tac can do something most tactical pens can't . . . allow you to cap the other end of the pen if you want to jot something down.

While the Embassy pen has a type III coating, I've found that it's not so great at the section where it's checkered. I carried mine in my back pocket, next to a Peak Eiger penlight that also has type III coating on its barrel. The two items apparently rubbed up against each other. My Peak is still all black. My County Comm pen is not.

If you need a good, sturdy, tactical pen; I can recommend the two above based on personal experience. The Mil-Tac pen is a bit expensive at around $90. Comes in various colors. Mine is black, and the finish has held up very well. Can't comment on the durability of other colors. The Embassy pen only comes in black. It's a good deal, even though County Comm raised prices rather quickly after it was introduced. Even at the current price of $44.50, it's still a good value. Unfortunately shipping charges from County Comm, even to U.S. addresses, are probably the steepest of any online shop. And they don't ship outside the U.S.

(I honestly can't believe how many other tactical pens I've bought turned out to be junk. Seriously, just not worth the expense; considering I found only two that are decent.)
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

sarguy wrote:So will there be Martial Pen Concepts in the future? :D (I'm only half kidding)
I wrote an article for one of the FMG self-defense annuals last year on tactical pens. At SHOT, Jack from Tuff-Writer visited with me to discuss the article, which basically emphasized the need for a good skill set to go along with the pen. I traded copies of my video on improvised-weapon tactics "Forever Armed"for a Tuff-Writer pen and have been carrying it pretty regularly since then.

Bottom line: I like their pens and they like my approach to tactics, so, yes, there may be an MBC pen in the future.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I carry a "sharkie" marker with the label sanded off. :) :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Actually I've carried a Cross Ion pen for years, and recently started switching to a baliyo because the baliyo is an unassuming toy just like the ion was an unassuming pen.

I have to say that a trained boxer/karateka can use the baliyo as a devastating force multiplier and fist-pack. I love my baliyo as a toy, but it really is an awesome fist pack for my sized hand. The hinge joint sticks out of the top of my fist by about 0.5cm and the base sticks out the bottom. There is a quadruply reinforced tube through my entire fist, and the point is devastating for hammer fists. I really like it. You could use somebody's head like a speed-bag and not have to worry about lateral force on your metacarpals.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Mike, ditto on the Tuff-Writer! I have been carrying one of two everyday for the past year or so. Jack is on point with his pens. Nice guy, got a chance to meet up with him at Blade last year. I came short of promising him I would not tell about the custom one that he did up for me. That is the one on duty now and in a suit and tie environment. Take care all and God Bless! ;)
BWPerdue

Post by BWPerdue »

My neighbor has a small lathe and turns pens - he made me one last week that I think would make a very stealthy "tac pen." It has a substantial brass tube inside for the body that is surrounded by 1/2" -9/16" of wood. It is a twisty pen, so there is no clicker to wobble or cap to lose, and has a steel tip in front of all the wood. It is very substantial and completely innocuous.

Pics of my pen:

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.
Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

I have the Hinderer Kubaton System with the pen attachment. I have used it in business settings and people have asked where I bought it.

Also, I have signed a couple of traffic tickets with it.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I modded my SF pen by replacing the 440 stainless steel BB with a Silicone nitride ceramic BB. My testing showed the SS BB was pretty mediocre at breaking glass, while the ceramaic works quite well.

From my original test:

Here's the same BB, now mounted in my pen. Not only does it work better, but I also think it looks pretty pimpin' :D

Big thanks to the guys over at USN who helped me along the way.
asfaltpiloot

Post by asfaltpiloot »

mark greenman wrote:I modded my SF pen by replacing the 440 stainless steel BB with a Silicone nitride ceramic BB. My testing showed the SS BB was pretty mediocre at breaking glass, while the ceramaic works quite well.
Very Nice.
Me like. :D
Robert

"Never leave home without a knife,
one day it may save a life"
Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

mark greenman wrote:I modded my SF pen by replacing the 440 stainless steel BB with a Silicone nitride ceramic BB. My testing showed the SS BB was pretty mediocre at breaking glass, while the ceramaic works quite well.

From my original test:

Here's the same BB, now mounted in my pen. Not only does it work better, but I also think it looks pretty pimpin' :D

Big thanks to the guys over at USN who helped me along the way.
Dude,

That is great! where did you get that BB? That is my Favorite of the Surefire Pens.
Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

stonyman wrote:The tactical in this type of pen should be left out, just like the same word that describe certain knives. They are heavy duty pens that can help you out when superior tools are not readily available. They are not magic wands, but with adequate empty hand skills it can give an increase force multiplier.Of course a cheap pen can be pressed into this role, but may break in some fashion if you do have to use as a weapon.

I am guilty of thinking everyone in the world trains and are students of interpersonal conflict. :o Please do not take these pens or any tool out of context. They are only as good as their operator. Take care and God Bless!
I agree, but it could be a nice little surprise for an attacker.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Toad310 wrote:Dude,

That is great! where did you get that BB? That is my Favorite of the Surefire Pens.
BB's are found here, but can only be purchased 10 at a time:
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/L ... ls/Kit7613
Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

Thanks so much for the link!
Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

Mr. Greenman,

May I ask what that watch you are wearing in the photo is?

It looks like vintage Japanese.

I love watches.

Best,

Toad
raven

Post by raven »

I carry a Rick Hinderer designed pen ...also thinking about grabbing a Tuff Writer. Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
speedmaster

Post by speedmaster »

Is there a reasonably complete list of these pens and their street prices?