polishing endura clip?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I really like that look. Great job folks!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

I just got a spray can of paint remover at Home Depot, sprayed it on, and it blistered instantly, I went about a chore, and was able to wipe it all off.

Quick rinse in the sink. Done.

I continued and polished mine. But the paint came right off. Even on the Ti. clip from my Pac. Salt. It seemed to be the same paint the delicas have.
pookiechad

Post by pookiechad »

prime 77, thank you for your pics, i have always been a delica man so i bought a brown ffg delica, but after seeing your pics i had 2 get a green endura and strip the clip, actualy i stripped the clips on all my delicas, use the kleen strip can from walmart it only takes a few minutes and wipes off!!!!!! thanx
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

My E4WSE clip was all dinged up, so I decided to do the clip strip. I had it soak in acetone for 30 minutes, then sanded it with some fine sandpaper for a few minutes. Worked great!

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

No more pure acetone for sale in the Philippines and nail polish remover doesn't work. have to try paint remover.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

How come no more acetone in the Philippines? That's like one of the more basic household solvents!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'm not sure maybe but my best guess would be that it is used in some anti politician control mixture. :)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

So i decided to try a different approach to strip my millie clip. I bought some of the aerosol stripper noted in this post but it didn't work. I tried varnish stripper too let it soak for 30 mins. I tried pure thinner. I even tried gasoline. The millie clip still looks like it did from the factory. Anyone else having trouble stripping their millie clip? The paint just won't come off without force. I wanted to try the subdued grey look but i might have to polish it to get the paint off. The only thing i haven't tried yet is pure acetone which might be the next step seeing as none of the other solvents worked.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

If you have a dremel you will not need stripper.
Dremel makes a bit that is something like a scotch brite pad.The come in Med. and fine in the same pack.Go from med to fine then use a buffing wheel with green rouge and finish with flitz on a buffing wheel.I can go from black to mirror finish in about 20 min.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

i've tried several things to strip my millie clip also, and with no success. seems as though it's some kind of "black" metal. i dont like the sanded or polished look, so i guess i'll just have to live with the black clip.
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

sharpguitarist wrote:i've tried several things to strip my millie clip also, and with no success. seems as though it's some kind of "black" metal. i dont like the sanded or polished look, so i guess i'll just have to live with the black clip.
Take it to a auto body shop and ask them to bead blast it for you.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

VashHash wrote:So i decided to try a different approach to strip my millie clip. I bought some of the aerosol stripper noted in this post but it didn't work. I tried varnish stripper too let it soak for 30 mins. I tried pure thinner. I even tried gasoline. The millie clip still looks like it did from the factory. Anyone else having trouble stripping their millie clip? The paint just won't come off without force. I wanted to try the subdued grey look but i might have to polish it to get the paint off. The only thing i haven't tried yet is pure acetone which might be the next step seeing as none of the other solvents worked.
I was able to get pure acetone and soaked my clip for about two hours. zip, nada, zilch. I just sanded it down with 1200 grit sandpaper and polished first with toothpaste(the white kind) and then with metal polish.
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

well, i thought i could live with the black clip on my millie. not! i went ahead and sanded it down, but i didn't like it with the straight sanding marks or the high polish, so i gave it a homemade stonewashed or tumbled look.
i also didn't like the black backspacer that was used, so i removed it.
i'm also debating on seeing if i can get a slightly grey patina to form on the clip, but i don't know if it will take or not. gonna pull out the vinegar and do some experimenting.
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
prime77

Post by prime77 »

I gave a full polish a try.

Buckles

Post by Buckles »

i didnt like the black one on my new blue endura, so i ordered a polished one from SFO the other day. just gonna put the black clip on my delica now that was missing one.
8 :spyder:'s and counting
AtlanticSalt, Endura, Endura4 FFG, "Custom" Native, Delica4, Bug, Honeybee,Grasshopper, Poliwog, TasmanSalt, Forager
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I see some stainless clips on ebay but shipping here to the Philippines costs as much as the clips.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I see some stainless clips on ebay but shipping here to the Philippines costs as much as the clips.
Can be tough for those living outside North America. Postage "is what it is" and there's no way around it.. Dealers, understandably, want to use methods that offer them some protection against loss in transit. That generally limits the options to the more expensive services. Best solutions would be to find a US dealer who stocks the clips, assuming any of them do, and wait to order the clips until there's a knife, or knives, you're ordering. Or, if there are ever any of the "SFO exclusives" like the Mules and SWICKs you want, order the clips at the same time from them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The Deacon wrote:Can be tough for those living outside North America. Postage "is what it is" and there's no way around it.. Dealers, understandably, want to use methods that offer them some protection against loss in transit. That generally limits the options to the more expensive services. Best solutions would be to find a US dealer who stocks the clips, assuming any of them do, and wait to order the clips until there's a knife, or knives, you're ordering. Or, if there are ever any of the "SFO exclusives" like the Mules and SWICKs you want, order the clips at the same time from them.
that's a thought. thanks.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

I did the paint stripper approach on my Endura right after I got it....probably
2 years ago. I didn't seal it or do anything special. It's never rusted and looks just like it did the day I finished it. Other then some scuffing that I
could easily get out.
Regards SonnyImage
Fender Strat...the Guitar that put the Rock in Rock&Roll
Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

If you have no liquid strippers, just start sanding, the paint will come off really easy. Start with 400 and work your way up until you get it how you want it.

I finished mine with 2000 grit, and metal polish for an almost mirror finish.