Anyone else use a straight razor?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vampyrewolf

Anyone else use a straight razor?

Post by vampyrewolf »

I think I saw a few other members on here mention straights before. I finally took the plunge after thinking about it for a year or so.

I've got 3 vintage razors soon heading off to the owner of straightrazorplace.com for restoration and honing. Figure it's better off in experienced hands. I tried to get an edge on the one twice. Key word tried

Also ordered one with disposable blades the same day, a Parker SRW with 120 Shark blades. Figure this gives me time to work on my technique before the other ones are ready and I don't have to learn how to hone a straight razor just yet.

Tonight was round 1 with the Parker, since it came in today's mail). The info I'm seeing says to go slow and only do a small patch the first few times. Yeah right :p
With the grain on both cheeks, against the grain on right cheek and neck (couldn't figure out the angle reaching across to do the left side, and haven't shaved left handed before). Had to still use my cartridge razor do my chin and the left side against the grain. Nicked myself trying to clean up around the goatee with the straight.

Have to find something better to do my lather in for round 2 on friday, but only nicking myself once on the first try isn't bad. I have a feeling that using a millie to clean up spots I missed kinda makes this small blade look safe ;) If I can clean up my neck with a spydie sharp enough to fillet letters from phonebook paper, I can do it with a straight :cool:
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
thebestnoobcake

Post by thebestnoobcake »

Hmm. No straight razor, but I shave with an Opinel #8
Convex grind with glass and wet/dry and it is beautiful. I even put a mirror finish on it so I can check for missed spots =p
I used to NOT like thumbholes. Until I used one.
Just like I didn't like the look of Spyderco knives in general. Until I held one.

-THG
carpdiem

Post by carpdiem »

thebestnoobcake wrote:Hmm. No straight razor, but I shave with an Opinel #8
Convex grind with glass and wet/dry and it is beautiful. I even put a mirror finish on it so I can check for missed spots =p
This needs a picture.

As for the straight razors, I have Merkur safety razor that uses disposable blades. It's a fantastic thing, and doesn't require me to hit the strop every day.
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

Congrats on your purchases! I haven't branched into straight razors, but I do use an antique safety razor. Definitely not the typical Bic shave.

I learned a lot on technique from these sites, and they also have a bunch of info on stropping: http://badgerandblade.com/

mantic59 on youtube has a lot of how-to vids, too.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Here's pics of the 3 I need cleaned up before I can use.

I think I've just about made it through most of straightrazorplace.com, and I don't know how many youtube vids I've watched.
Attachments
sheffield.jpg
sheffield.jpg (41.16 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
soligen.jpg
soligen.jpg (39.3 KiB) Viewed 2999 times
chipped-size.jpg
chipped-size.jpg (25.31 KiB) Viewed 2997 times
bluenose.jpg
bluenose.jpg (19.45 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

I use a Chinook 2.

No lather.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
gac

Post by gac »

I saw about three straight razors in an antique store a few weeks ago. I thought about buying one but straight razors are still too scary for me.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

You play with knives, knowing you're gonna cut yourself if you aren't careful... same thing with razors. If you pay attention and take your time, they're safe.
gac

Post by gac »

I'd have to try it when the kids are asleep.

"Daddy!! Attack!" - cut -
Fuglee

Post by Fuglee »

I moved to using a Safety Razor a few months ago and I love it. Way better than a cartridge razor, at least for me. I've always planned to use the Safety Razor as my stepping stone between cartridge and straight so we'll see if I ever take the next step.

I'm still trying different blades with my razor but even the worst ones are such a big improvement over what I was using. I may still end up using straight razors someday but I'm pretty happy now.
butch

Post by butch »

i have been using a straight for almost 2 years now and love it
last nights shave was one of the best i have had in a while
i didnt do anythig too different then any other time but things jsut kind of clicked
i ll haveo tget a pic of the latest house razor

VW Lynn will take good care of you
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I'm another fan of straight razors (along with DE & SE safety razors), and I have a very nice collection of antique, NOS, new, and custom razors. I've been shaving this way for about 4.5 years now. Butch is making some killer custom razors too. His "house razor" is even gorgeous!

The honing is different from a knife, but with practice & technique adjustment, you'll definitely be getting a keen edge on your traditional straights for proper shaving. I will warn you, though, that shaving with a shavette (disposable blade straight razor) is different from a traditionally bladed razor.

Don't forget the strop (absolute must), shaving brush and shaving soap or cream to round out the traditional wetshaving experience.

Here's some photos of a razor that I restored myself. I cleaned up the blade, added the barber notch, made the scales, pinned it all together, and honed for use.
Attachments
BJ_Eyre_4.jpg
BJ_Eyre_4.jpg (65.54 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
BJ_Eyre_3.jpg
BJ_Eyre_3.jpg (62.24 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
BJ_Eyre_2.jpg
BJ_Eyre_2.jpg (71.67 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
BJ_Eyre_1.jpg
BJ_Eyre_1.jpg (64.26 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Chris_H wrote:I'm another fan of straight razors (along with DE & SE safety razors), and I have a very nice collection of antique, NOS, new, and custom razors. I've been shaving this way for about 4.5 years now. Butch is making some killer custom razors too. His "house razor" is even gorgeous!

The honing is different from a knife, but with practice & technique adjustment, you'll definitely be getting a keen edge on your traditional straights for proper shaving. I will warn you, though, that shaving with a shavette (disposable blade straight razor) is different from a traditionally bladed razor.

Don't forget the strop (absolute must), shaving brush and shaving soap or cream to round out the traditional wetshaving experience.

Here's some photos of a razor that I restored myself. I cleaned up the blade, added the barber notch, made the scales, pinned it all together, and honed for use.
I can't afford Butch's customs (yet). Just a little out of my price range still :p

I know I'll have to make a few adjustments when I get my honed and repaired razors back, but I'd rather get the motions and routine down at least. Less chance of coming out looking like I lost a fight.

Already have a strop loaded with veritas green, stopping at the leather shop by work tomorrow for some 8-10oz cow though. Picked up a Wilkinson synthetic brush in walmart on tuesday, have another dozen or so shaves left on the nivea cream (and 2 other choices barely started) before I need to buy something else... but I'm checking out the body shop on the weekend anyways.
carpdiem

Post by carpdiem »

Fuglee wrote:I'm still trying different blades with my razor but even the worst ones are such a big improvement over what I was using. I may still end up using straight razors someday but I'm pretty happy now.
You should get a pack of Feather blades (made in Japan?). They're the sharpest I've ever found.
butch

Post by butch »

the loaded strop you will not need all that often
i have not used loaded strop in maybe 12 shaved adn then often i jsut go and make a few passes on the hones adn then strop with non loaded leather adn im good to go again
the loaded leather will get you back in the game till you get a 8K+ grit hone for finishing (im havign good luck with the norton 4/8k combo hone )
a step forward
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

Just for sharing's sake:
The "C.E. Bigelow" shave cream in the tiny little men's section of Bath n Body Works is actually the long-standing Italian Prorasso-brand shave cream re-branded for the US, if anyone's looking for some options. I use a brush and my cupped hand and have a decent amount of lather in no time. Good thing, too, because I can't seem to find anything else in town, and I can't seem to bring myself to order shave soaps over the internet just yet. Maybe when I'm already placing an order to Amazon.com...
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

butch

Post by butch »

so far as soaps and creams online alot of sellers have sample packs
i am a big fan of mamabear soaps and KD creations shave creams
a step forward
Fuglee

Post by Fuglee »

carpdiem wrote:You should get a pack of Feather blades (made in Japan?). They're the sharpest I've ever found.
I actually have a box of those in my drawer but I haven't used them yet. I've been having good luck with the Persona Reds and I'm excited to try the Feathers. I tried some Astras last night and they lawnmowered my face. Never using those again!
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Well, just working out details, but looks like I'll be getting a couple full stainless dovo's this fall when I'm down in Michigan. Have a member on the other forum close enough to the factory to hand pick 'em for me... Just have to say what size I want, but won't know for sure until my 3 are repaired and used a couple times.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Does a ZDP CF stretch count as a straight razor? I use it from time to time and just finished rebeveling it so it shaves better. I've been talking about it to one of my friends but seeing this thread pushed me over and i did it. I've also used the tattoo dragonfly once. I need to get a real straight razor and butch does make some really nice ones.