Is the smaller hole on Mini-Persian a problem?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
iwolf81

Is the smaller hole on Mini-Persian a problem?

Post by iwolf81 »

I'm looking the Mini-Persian now, and I noticed that it has an 11mm diameter Spydie hole while other knives this size have larger holes (Caly3 12mm, Delica 13mm.) Does the smaller hole on the Mini-Persian cause any issue opening it?

Thanks,
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Haven't had a single problem with mine so far. Maybe a larger hole makes things easier, but I personally don't notice any difference unless I'm looking for it.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

No problems with opening any of mine :D

You NEED to get Mini Persian. It is a fantastic knife and very underrated. Once you get it please express your joy voraciously and post in the "Persian Army" thread ;) :p
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It depends. To me, Spyderhole size only becomes critical when the potential for rapid deployment is on your list of "must have" features. If it is then, in my opinion, the Mini Persian is a poor choice. Like all the Schempp midlocks, they tend to have much "tighter" actions than other Spyderco midlocks, so rapid deployment is not their forte. They're beautiful, well made, and 100% reliable as a "gentleman's pocket knife", but not the best choice if a "tactical folder" is what you're after.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I had a JD Smith with a tiny hole, and I liked it... no problem at all to open it. Actually I wouldn't mind seeing more Spydies with smaller holes, this would allow more variety in the blade shapes.
JimP

Post by JimP »

I would have say it is not the easiest to open with a large dry thumb add to that a powerful detent and at first I considered it a little awkward.

But, like any Spyderco I have found it becomes more natural the more you use it so I wouldn't let my points put you off, it's compact, has lovely lines and cut's like a champ, it's a keeper!
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

Get one,the are a great knife.hurry they are......rip............
<--------------------<<<< >>>>-------------------->
GREAT ENERGY ~ AWESOME VIBES
mnaylo3

Post by mnaylo3 »

It's a great knife. The size of the hole combined with the smaller size of the knife take some getting used to, but it won't take long and the mini-persian is worth it.
Slick

Post by Slick »

The Spyder hole is proportional to the knife and is not a problem for me. If you have sausage like thumbs it might be an issue. The Persians are sprung like a car hood. Still not a problem for regular use.
Not really all that slick ;)
Franciscomv

Post by Franciscomv »

It hasn't been a problem for me, I love the Mini-Persian.
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

The smaller hole is a bit of an issue with me.

However I do not draw the Persian from my pocket to be a one handed opener. Sometimes I do, but with this knife, I actually just pull it out and use both hands.

No big issue, just a small one.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Not an issue for me.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Ira,
I never had a problem to open my Mini, but I do not have a problem with 10mm hole on Viele either. Just get this Persian or you will regret later. :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

bh49 wrote:Ira, ...Just get this Persian or you will regret later. :)
No regrets, I just ordered one from the Grand Prairie. :D

Thanks for twisting my just like I asked (not to?) :p

Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

iwolf81 wrote:No regrets, I just ordered one from the Grand Prairie. :D

Ira
I think your arm's easily twisted... I suggested you try out an ATR once over on USN. Now look how many Spydies you have :p

Jez
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

jezabel wrote:I think your arm's easily twisted... I suggested you try out an ATR once over on USN. Now look how many Spydies you have :p

Jez
LOL! That's right, YOU were the culprit!!! :) Sal should give you commission! :D

You better hope my wife doesn't meet you. ;)

Thanks!
Ira
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Hey Ira,

Let me tempt you some more while you await the arrival :p

Remember that once you get your Persian you need to enlist it in the Persian Army thread LOL :D
Cheers
bh49

Post by bh49 »

iwolf81 wrote:No regrets, I just ordered one from the Grand Prairie. :D
Ira
Ira,
it is very smart decision. congrats.

ozspyder wrote:
Daniel,
is it desert ironwood? I never saw this picture, or any pictures of this knife. :confused: :(
it looks like you are spending too much time shooting guns, :D instead of taking pictures
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

ozspyder wrote:Hey Ira,

Let me tempt you some more while you await the arrival :p
Hey ozspyder,

If you posted those pictures sooner, I would not have waited so long to join the Persian Army. :p

Actually, I've seen a lot of great pics of the Mini Persian, and I'd like to get some nice wood inserts for it. I really like yours and bh49's custom jobs!

And to follow up on my earlier comment about my wife, I bought her a new handbag to (somewhat) balance out our respective toys. :)

Regards,
Ira
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Hey Roman & Ira,

The wooden one is snakewood I believe. The customisation was done by none other than our highly esteemed fellow forumite Brad Southard of Southard Knives (formerly Tricod here). And just to stir the pot a little bit more.... I have in the last few days received a couple more special Persians and awaiting another. More pics will come soon once I have all 4 so I can do a Tricod/ Brad family photo :p

I love my Persians, they were made to cut things :) but some find the dramatically upswept blade tip to be less functional for everyday purposes. Possibly so, but I still love them !
Cheers