The Toolcord -- photo

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Don Ellis

The Toolcord -- photo

Post by Don Ellis »

There are toolboxes and toolkits, so why not a Toolcord©?

I’ve been carrying the P-38 can opener for over 40 years and about 14 years ago I tied it to an aluminum bottle opener I found in San Francisco (the black has since pretty much worn off it). I liked the symmetry: can opener and bottle opener on a cord.

Then I bought the stainless-steel, plain-edged Spyderco Ladybug a year or so ago and put it on my key ring. And thanks to a recent thread here about mini pry bars, I bought a two-inch Pico Widgy Pry Bar (thanks, Forumites – another tool of questionable but must-have value :D ) – so I slipped that on my key ring too.

But the other night I had to leave my keys with a parking attendant, so I had to wind the knife and pry bar off the ring before handing the keys over (although, looking back, I could have pulled my key off instead – who knows what goes through the minds of men when the pressure’s on and the attendants are waiting).

It doesn’t matter, though; I still wanted a better solution for the tools now that there were four of them. Since I liked the can opener and bottle opener tied to each other, it made sense just to expand this solution and put all the tools in one place. So I dug out the 2mm cord and went to work last night.

I’ve always liked the Figure-Eight knot – it looks nice and tidy and interesting. So I used that for each of the loops through the tools, with the can opener and bottle opener tied at each end of one cord, and the Ladybug and pry bar to each end of a second cord. Then I just folded the two cords in the middle and did a simple overhand knot – and added an Italian carabiner for Continental flair and light weight.

The Toolcord comes in at 69 grams, or 2.43 ounces. I can dump it in the bottom of dress trousers, or clip the carabiner to a belt loop and let the tools hang inside a jeans pocket, or clip it to a ring inside my camera bag.

You could also put each tool on its own cord with a Figure-Eight-knotted loop at each end. That way you could slip each of the tools onto the carabiner and take them off for individual use. I decided against that. I like keeping everything together and frankly you don’t normally use these tools for more than about ten seconds a time anyway.

Photo: Nothing professional because it would never have gotten done if I’d had to drag out the light tent and set up the lights. So I flipped the bed quilt over, laid everything out and took the photo with a Sigma DP2 with natural light coming in from two directions. Then a little post-processing.

If it gives you an idea for your own Toolcord… well, that was the idea. :cool:

Cheers,
Don
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

Nice idea although I find a cap lifter and a prybar somewhat redundant.

Ookami
________
EXTREME VAPORIZERS
Don Ellis

Post by Don Ellis »

Ookami wrote:Nice idea although I find a cap lifter and a prybar somewhat redundant.
Ookami
I see what you mean: The bottle opener is aluminum and has a blunt nose, while the pry bar is heat-treated D-9 tool steel with a tapered edge. They’re virtually identical… I may have to rethink my setup. :rolleyes:

On a serious note, thanks for the "nice idea." :)

Cheers,
Don
Donut

Post by Donut »

To me it seems your Ladybug will get scratched up easily with that setup. Maybe if the Ladybug was at a different length.

I hold my keys together with something similar to this, but made out of stainless steel. I think the one I linked is aluminum.
Farmer Brown

Post by Farmer Brown »

What you have there is a first - class wind chime!
1. There is a time and place for everything.
2. Not everybody shares your views.
3. Common sense and basic courtesy gets one far.
4. Know your local laws.
5. "Sheeple" is a bigot's term.
Don Ellis

Post by Don Ellis »

Donut wrote:To me it seems your Ladybug will get scratched up easily with that setup.
Who cares? :) The Ladybug you're looking at has been rubbing shoulders with my keys for a year and it still looks fine to me -- it's a tool. If it ever gets a not-so-fine look to it, I can run it across a few grades of oiled silicon-carbide paper and get it looking new again.

Thanks for the link but there's no way you can drop that in a dress trousers pocket and I'll be carrying this everywhere, every time -- so I like the flexibility of the cord.

This is just my viewpoint, of course... we all have our own quirky specs for these things.

Cheers,
Don
Don Ellis

Post by Don Ellis »

Farmer Brown wrote:What you have there is a first - class wind chime!
Now that I can relate to. :p

Don
Don Ellis

Wind Chime for Farmer John

Post by Don Ellis »

Indeed I do, thanks to you... :)

Don Ellis

Wind Chime for Farmer Brown

Post by Don Ellis »

Indeed I do, thanks to you... :)

hickster

Post by hickster »

Great idea. You need a little LED light source on there too.
If I may offer a tweak to the design: Maybe attach each tool with its own separate lanyard to the carribiner (sp?) so the tools can be separated if needed.
hickster
Don Ellis

Post by Don Ellis »

hickster wrote:Great idea. You need a little LED light source on there too.
If I may offer a tweak to the design: Maybe attach each tool with its own separate lanyard to the carribiner (sp?) so the tools can be separated if needed.
hickster
I've got the small Fenix single-AAA EO1 in black -- and could get it in silver to match -- but it would still make the set too large for my tastes. Plus I always have at least a small camera bag with me and it has the Fenix EO1, plus a PD-20 and PD-30, so I'm pretty much covered for flashlights.

The nice thing about these tools is that they're relatively flat, so when you clip the carbiner into your belt loop, they hang halfway into your pocket -- and therefore stay away from keys and coins in the bottom of your pocket -- and they tend to flatten out rather than bunch up, at least in jeans, making them even more comfortable and unobtrusive.

As for each tool on its own cord, I mentioned that possibility in my long copy, but decided against it because I know I'd lose one if it got separated. But others may like that idea -- the concept is nothing if not flexible. :)

Thanks for your nice comment.

Cheers,
Don
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i have one of these from county comm, the small one. i put all my keys on it and then loctite it.
http://www.countycomm.com/ring.htm

and then attached to that i have something similiar to this will all my hardware: http://www.save-on-crafts.com/keyringclasps.html

which is a mini goddard, mini peanut lighter, micro prybar and a flashlight. that way i can take it off if i need to valet but i never do that anyways cuz i know i would drive the car like i stole it...heck i anyways :D . also each tool has a clip on it so i can take just one tool off if i need it.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Don Ellis

Post by Don Ellis »

tonydahose wrote:i have one of these from county comm, the small one. i put all my keys on it and then loctite it. http://www.countycomm.com/ring.htm
Hi Tony... this looks like one of those old Twisties (or whatever the spelling is/was) that I loved -- not only for its convenience but because you could hand it to someone and bet him that he couldn't get it apart. (They never could.)

I loved those and would probably order one from County Comm... except that I tried to order the Pico Pry Bar from them and although they ship overseas they don't take PayPal from overseas accounts.
... a mini goddard, mini peanut lighter, micro prybar and a flashlight. that way i can take it off if i need to valet but i never do that anyways cuz i know i would drive the car like i stole it...heck i anyways :D . also each tool has a clip on it so i can take just one tool off if i need it.
Thanks for the reminder about the lighter... I'll have a look.

Cheers,
Don
JaM

Post by JaM »

Nice idea, I like the setup. :)
Consider the idea stolen !
Don Ellis

Post by Don Ellis »

JaM wrote:Nice idea, I like the setup. :)
Consider the idea stolen !
I will. I'm glad. :cool:
john row

Post by john row »

You forgot GPS. Nice tho!!!
john
Gee Mr Glesser, them sure are pretty knives!
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

looks similar to my key ring, which has a variety of tools on snap swivels rated to 300lbs (for halibut). usually Fenix E01, ladybug salt, ladybug hawkbill, and a simms fish-shaped bottle opener (which i also use for prying). the ring rides on a climbing-rated carabiner... it's one heck of an awesome keychain EDC.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Don Ellis

Post by Don Ellis »

john row wrote:You forgot GPS. Nice tho!!!
john
That's what my iPhone is for... thanks for the nice comment.

Cheers,
Don
Don Ellis

Post by Don Ellis »

clovisc wrote:looks similar to my key ring, which has a variety of tools on snap swivels rated to 300lbs (for halibut). usually Fenix E01, ladybug salt, ladybug hawkbill, and a simms fish-shaped bottle opener (which i also use for prying). the ring rides on a climbing-rated carabiner... it's one heck of an awesome keychain EDC.
I can't be the only one with a camera... let's see. :)

Don
Farmer Brown

Post by Farmer Brown »

Don Ellis wrote:Indeed I do, thanks to you... :)
Got your PM, Don.

Was out for a couple of days, and had attend to some annoying (work - related) stuff...

That's quite a nice touch, with the background ornamentals!
1. There is a time and place for everything.
2. Not everybody shares your views.
3. Common sense and basic courtesy gets one far.
4. Know your local laws.
5. "Sheeple" is a bigot's term.