More H1! H1 knives YOU want to see!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jossta

Post by jossta »

Since ease of incorporating H1 involves a knife already made in Japan, why not the Superhawk, and more importantly, the upcoming Superleaf.

edit: I would also buy an H1 Manix or Millie.
JD Spydo

Another H-1 Hawkbill and C-60 Ayoob in H-1

Post by JD Spydo »

I like what the brother above me just suggested. An H-1 Superhawk. To me it just makes good sense. Because you got the hard work combo with the H-1 Spyderhawk with the PE & SE blades. And the Superhawk with the beefier handle and less curvature would really compliment that.

OK now to my personal suggestion for a knife in H-1. I have been shouting to the top of my lungs for a re-introduced C-60 Massad Ayoob. For whatever reason there always seems to be a major ROADBLOCK preventing it.

WHY NOT An H-1 version of the MASSAD AYOOB C-60???!!!!!!!! Well Why not???!!!! Give me one good reason why not!!!!!

Clovisc you said yourself that the Ayoob had tremendous cutting ability with the curvature of that blade design. The Ayoob in SE & H-1. How many outdoormen ( women too :D ) wouldn't almost kill for a paramount blade like that. Hey if we can't get it back in VG-10 or some newer super alloy then let's try for H-1 Ayoob C-60. Any objections????!!!
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

H1 truly shines when serrated, and an H1 ayoob would indeed be an awesome outdoor cutting tool. kinda like an H1 spyderhawk that curves "the other way." i think an H1 ayoob would be an extremely versatile knife... and a truly unique, unusual combination that would be a real winner for a wide range of applications. good idea, JD! :cool:
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Manix Guy 2

Just Me

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

A Hunter Drop Point 3 1/2 blade FFG . Regards MG2
mmyron1

Post by mmyron1 »

CanisMajor wrote:I would love a Manix or Military in H-1. The only real problem I feel is that keeping the FFG Blades would be too difficult. IIRC, it would be too difficult to have that many blades ground. Also those are both Golden, USA made models and H-1 is a Japanese steel. A similar style of blade though would be great. A H-1 blade styled like the Military, but keep the Hollow Grind and yellow G-10 would be awesome, Salish Sea Salt? (from Sequimites thread)

Canis
Why not just change the grind with the steel? The Manix 2 doesn't have a full flat grind. I would be happy with an upgrade on the Manix 2 in size and steel to H1. Then add a back lock instead of the ball lock.

In other words... put an H1 blade similar to the Manix 2 on an original BIG BOY Manix C95. Granted we are probably talking big $$$ but I would consider that.
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

chuck buck wrote:the new FRN ukpk looks like it could be a candidate for H1. however, i assume it has steel liners and that would be the hard part if i had to guess.
Pretty sure it doesn't have liners since the price is so low, it's being marketed as a "lightweight," and all descriptions I've heard make it sound like construction will be completely identical to the original but with the G10 replaced with FRN. The actual problem that keeps it from being a natural candidate is that it's US made. Then again, isn't gin-1 a Japanese steel too? It'd be great if it could be done, either FRN or G10 version. Maybe we could settle for the Urban instead?

I agree with what some others have said, an H1 knife with a G10 handle, especially if it's yellow G10. Manix2 would be great, but of course it's not Japanese. Maybe G10 Poliwog?

I'd also like to see a Calypso Jr. Salt, complete with yellow handle and ever so appropriate fish scale pattern.

Dragonfly would be good too, don't think there are any H1 knives filling that size.

I also agree that the Remote Release should be in H1, though it's not a design I'm personally interested in.
Naga

Post by Naga »

+1 on the Swicks.

I'd also like to see an H1 chopper. Big heavy blade, maybe in the 10 inch range, convex edge. And a machete, I guess, while I'm dreamin' waaaaay out there.

Actually, I'd really like to see any of the H1 knive convexed as opposed to hollow ground. Sal has explained that hollow ground is better on the knife making machinery, but I think it would be worth seeing whether this work-hardens an H1 knife to an edge RC closer to that of a serrated H1 blade.
Whieee

Post by Whieee »

SaturnNyne wrote:Pretty sure it doesn't have liners since the price is so low, it's being marketed as a "lightweight," and all descriptions I've heard make it sound like construction will be completely identical to the original but with the G10 replaced with FRN. The actual problem that keeps it from being a natural candidate is that it's US made. Then again, isn't gin-1 a Japanese steel too? It'd be great if it could be done, either FRN or G10 version. Maybe we could settle for the Urban instead?
We could. However, I think it's cheaper to ship the FRN handles to Seki than to create a new FRN mold for the Urban. The mold for the UKPK is already there ;)
Noble

Post by Noble »

Ive had it in my Sig for a whiile now, H1 Para. Para owners, you know **** right this would be the ultimate. FFG 4mm H1 in para trim? Its a no brainer IMHO. Id even buy one if they made FRN molds of the para's handle and sold it like that.
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of meeting deadlines is forgotten.

My Dream Knife: Paramilitary with FFG H1. GITD G10.
ColonelX1

Post by ColonelX1 »

a friend of mine who is a plebe in the annapolis naval academy and also spyderco fan pointed out to me the other day what he saw as a lack of navy themed knives, very few companies make any knives dedicated for naval use. so we got to talking and we actually drew up a few sketches for basically minor modifications to the millitary and paramillitary (calling them the Navy for the millitary like model and the annapolis for the paramilitary spin off) both in H1 steel with titanium liner/comp locks and yellow or blue G10 he was quite keen on them and to be honest i would put down whatever cash necesary to get myself an annapolis model =)
Pick a Card, Any Card

:My Spyders:spyder:
Orange G10 Wharnie Urban 064v
Blue/grey Waved Delica 4 (gifted to my close friend who is headed to Anapolis)
Black FRN Jester Ghetto Wave

ATS-55 SS harpy in full spyder edge!(loved, and then gifted to a Plebe at annapolis)
Carbon Fiber KIWI
Manix2CE 064v Ghetto Wave
SSSE Cricket
Delica4 full SE Ghetto Wave

May your food be rich, your knives be honed, your women be sweet, and your good friends stoned.
amar

Post by amar »

IMO, the Delica line was updated to newer designs, while the Salt was not (notice the clip, and the screws). I would like to see the Delica4 in H1. :-)
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

Whieee wrote:We could. However, I think it's cheaper to ship the FRN handles to Seki than to create a new FRN mold for the Urban. The mold for the UKPK is already there ;)
Actually I meant just stick H1 hardware in the existing Urban, because the G10/H1 combination is what I'd be most interested in. The model is already made there, provides the same basic thing as the UK in a smaller size, would retain the grippier scales, and fill in a somewhat empty size niche in the Salt line. It definitely would not make sense to create a whole new FRN mold just for this.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

H1 folding harpoon head. Can be attached to pole via paracord for survival fishing.

Oh ok fine! I'll take a cento3. Black linerless g10/h1/titanium spyder inlaid = win. :)
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I wish the Ladybug Hawkbill had been done in H1. VG-10 is good stuff, but the combination of a 'bill, serrations and H1 is a holy trinity.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Tribune

Post by Tribune »

I just picked up two H1 knives; the Warrior [ love the knife but wish the sheath was Boltaren with a G-clip] and the Schemp Rock Salt which I also love plus I really like the sheath with the G-clip which is a huge improvement over the Tek-Lock IMO.
A couple of years ago I bought the Kumo which is a beautiful little knive with a nice sheath but it came with a Tek-Lock. Is it possible to order extra G-clips? Please somebody, make my day and let me know it's possible!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Tribune wrote:I just picked up two H1 knives; the Warrior [ love the knife but wish the sheath was Boltaren with a G-clip] and the Schemp Rock Salt which I also love plus I really like the sheath with the G-clip which is a huge improvement over the Tek-Lock IMO.
A couple of years ago I bought the Kumo which is a beautiful little knive with a nice sheath but it came with a Tek-Lock. Is it possible to order extra G-clips? Please somebody, make my day and let me know it's possible!
Call Spyderco, it's possible. You can also buy a Tec-lock on the net but those are prob more expensive.
mmyron1

Post by mmyron1 »

Blerv wrote:Call Spyderco, it's possible. You can also buy a Tec-lock on the net but those are prob more expensive.
Not sure what the G-Clips will cost but I have seen Tec-Locs on the net for as low as $10 depending on what size you are looking for.
phaust

Post by phaust »

Tribune wrote:I just picked up two H1 knives; the Warrior [ love the knife but wish the sheath was Boltaren with a G-clip] and the Schemp Rock Salt which I also love plus I really like the sheath with the G-clip which is a huge improvement over the Tek-Lock IMO.
Yes, you can buy them if you call the SFO @
Phone: 800-828-1925 x 4
Direct: 303-279-8613 x 4

G-Clips are $4.95 and shipping is $1.25 for U.S. mailing. I emailed a few days ago to ask the very same thing :)
Tribune

Post by Tribune »

Thanks very much to everybody who responded to my G-clip question. $4.95 seems like a very reasonable price. I think I'll order 3 or 4 units as I have two or three sheaths with Tek-locks from other makers which would be much handier equipped with G-clips. [ yes, I'm not entirely monogamous when it comes to purchasing knives ,although if Spderco keeps coming out with knives like the Warrior, which has to be one of the coolest knives of all time, I may well turn my back on all other makers.]

I think someone above wanted to see an H1 large Manix. I strongly agree with that sentiment. although it would be okay with me if it came out in VG-10 as long as a new full sized Manix is once again available to purchase.
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

Vivi wrote:H1 Swick
H1 Swick
H1 Swick
H1 Swick
H1 Swick
H1 Swick
H1 Swick
H1 Swick

:D
I agree. But I would like a blade shape that has a bit of curve to it, not a wharncliff or whatever the current Swick is referred to as... NOT RECURVE!
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."