Not too kind on apparel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Farmer Brown

Not too kind on apparel

Post by Farmer Brown »

My Spydies are wonderful knives and all, which is just fine...

But my non - stainless handled models are starting to take a toll on all my slacks and jeans.

The pocket edges are getting really frayed.

Any solutions around this?
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Find a good tailor & have them stitch some extra material around the pockets where the clips ride. :D
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

It is just one of those "price of Spydie love" things you have to deal with. I have heard of a few people who sanded down the G-10 where it touched the pocket to give a smoother draw. G-10 dust is toxic, so be careful with that one.
anti-torsion

Post by anti-torsion »

My para has been sanded under the clip, makes the draw a bit nicer to the pockets.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Do you really need "quick draw" capability? If so, accept the accelerated wear and tear on your pockets as its cost. If not, carry your knife loose in your pocket.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Farmer Brown wrote:My Spydies are wonderful knives and all, which is just fine...

But my non - stainless handled models are starting to take a toll on all my slacks and jeans.

The pocket edges are getting really frayed.

Any solutions around this?
I find FRN and smooth cf easy on the pockets. G10 is a bit rough, agreed.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Ive heard lots of ppl say that they sand them down as well..
but me, I personally like the look of my jeans where it shows the wear and tear carry marks..am I wierd? I just think its cool because theres a spydie there everyday on no matter what pair of jeans or shorts im wearing. And theres always a little worn spot or "home" for my knives to clip to lol :D
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

the pockets on my levis fray with or without spydies so i rather them fray with than whithout. Then again when you wear a pair of jeans for a few years wear and tear is to be expected.
alancamby

Post by alancamby »

I agree with Blerv. FRN seems to cause less wear than
G10. I don't own any CF Knives.
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

Round off the corners of the jimping on the thumb ramp. The jimping on my Para SE was snagging my pockets until I did this using a round Arkansas stone.

Regards,
Ira
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Some may hate frn but some models like the stretch are grippy in hand and carry well in the pocket.
fret

Post by fret »

No problem for me. My old frn Delica does not fray my pocket. It has the frn clip.
Farmer Brown

Post by Farmer Brown »

I should have clarified more - haven't had that many FRN models, forgot all about them. It's the G10 models that eat through fabric. They're like saws.

I just might end up removing the clips on these models.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

My jeans are picking up plenty of wear from the G-10 handles of my :spyder: s, especially the forward and rear portions of my RFP. I actually consider these wear areas as being pretty cool. :) My Spyderco P'Kal owns the forward portion of my RFP, while other :spyder: s take their turns in rotation for the rear portion.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I only use the clips in running shorts and in pants or shorts that have auto-eject pockets. Those are the ones with the edge of the pocket sewn into the outseam. Otherwise, they go into my pocket. You don't have to use the clip just because it has one.

Gordon
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

My Spyderco knives have not worn my pockets out as bad as my Strider GB has. I've only had the GB since Aug 2008 & the clip has frayed my jean pockets more than either my Endura 4 or Emerson CQC-12 in the past few years of carrying them.

Betting that owners of the Lil'Temperance have some good pocket wear stories to share.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Depending on what color your handle is you can take the clip off and mix up some jb weld or epoxy and fill in the texture under the pocket clip. It wont affect the grip in your hand but it will save your pants pockets.

An example can be seen at 4:15 in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vI5J1JXkBs

Hope this helps.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

buy new pants :D
Noble

Post by Noble »

Wear and tear like that is normal. If you buy certain carhart brand jeans, they have a leather patch on the lip of the pocket where your clip would sit. Maybe, you can save buying one, and sew some extra denim or leather on your pocket lips so save the thing from fraying.
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of meeting deadlines is forgotten.

My Dream Knife: Paramilitary with FFG H1. GITD G10.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Lightly wet sand the area under the clip. Smoother, still great grip.

I do this to all my "cheese grater" G-10 models :D