Help me decide Stretch or Caly 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
qualm

Help me decide Stretch or Caly 3

Post by qualm »

So I have decided to get a new knife from Spyderco. I only own 1 Spyderco and that is the original full size Manix, in CPM S30V. I love everything about that knife the ergonomics, the size, how my hand fits perfectly in the handle, the G10 handles, the size (I know I already said that) :) . I really love the CPM S30V I have never owned such a great steel.

I am looking to get another knife and I was thinking of getting a Stretch or a Caly 3. Both of the ones that I want are the CF handles and a ZDP-189 Blade. I just want some opinions maybe some side by side photos. Also I was kinda looking for a handle that fits your hand as well as the Manix. I am a large guy with big hands. I really like both knifes, but I don't have the option of holding both in my hands so I am left to kind of guess how they will fit. I know that the Caly 3 is smaller, but how is the handle? Does it fit well in your hand? How about the Stretch how does it fit? I usually am a fan of larger knives, but so many people praise the Caly 3 that I am willing to give it a try.

Thanks
Qualm
markg

Post by markg »

Given what you have said (especially the large hand issue) I would say the Stretch is your best bet.
oldschool

Post by oldschool »

Check this pic on the forum. The Caly and Stretch and the ones to the far right.
:spyder: Native III PE
:spyder: Native PE
:spyder: Sage I
:spyder: Pacific Salt
:spyder: Delica 4 Blue
:spyder: Manix2 Blue Lightweight
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

i picked up the blue frn stretch and i love it. the blue frn is really something else. if fact are there any other handles that are that blue color? also the endura dark green (the britsh racing green) also has a great frn. the standard black frn gets old sometimes and you want new colors like yellow, blue, white, purple, etc. but go with what will make you the happiest. imo tho i say get the stretch too^
sixheads

Post by sixheads »

I do not like ZDP but i have the vg10 caly and its by far my best knife. Go with the Caly it has a simmilar shap to the manix.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

I would say Caly3 but if the full sized Manix fits you well I would assume the Caly might be a little small, sounds like you might want to go towards the Stretch CF
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I suggest the Stretch because the Caly3 handle isn't very wide. For larger hands I think the Stretch is better.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

These pictures may help give you an idea of the relative sizes...

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]

Grip area of the Stretch is almost identical in size to that of the Manix and the absence of the extra finger separator makes it seem even roomier to me. Caly 3 is obviously shorter, but stll alllow a decent girp. As for thickness, picture your Manix with one entire side removed, that's the thickness of both the CF Stretch and CF Caly 3. Both are excellent knives, and the Stretch is, IMHO, the best design Sal has ever come up with.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
qualm

Post by qualm »

sixheads wrote:I do not like ZDP but i have the vg10 caly and its by far my best knife. Go with the Caly it has a simmilar shap to the manix.
What's wrong with the ZDP in your opinion?
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I'm also a big guy with xxl hands. Neither locks in the way a Manix does. Both fit the large hand well. You have to use the choil on the Caly to have a good big hands grip, but you'll want to anyway with common tasks for this size blade. If you are only going to get one, get the Stretch. If you think you'll end up with both, get the Caly first while it is being discounted.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
qualm

Post by qualm »

The Deacon wrote:These pictures may help give you an idea of the relative sizes...

Grip area of the Stretch is almost identical in size to that of the Manix and the absence of the extra finger separator makes it seem even roomier to me. Caly 3 is obviously shorter, but stll alllow a decent girp. As for thickness, picture your Manix with one entire side removed, that's the thickness of both the CF Stretch and CF Caly 3. Both are excellent knives, and the Stretch is, IMHO, the best design Sal has ever come up with.

Thanks so much for those pictures that was exactly what I wanted. Looks like the stretch might be more of what I am after. Is the choil on the Caly 3 part of the handle or is it designed for choking up on the knife if you know what I mean. Is the choil part of where you put your hand when you hold the knife naturally or is it a choke up point?

What would you recommend as far as steel for the Stretch? VG-10 or the ZDP? I have only owned CPM S30V and I really like that stuff.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

The Caly 3 has very good ergonomics. Even if it doesn't look like it does in pictures (it didn't to me), you would be surprised how well that little knife fits your hand. Of the two... it's a tough call. Neither is quite as good as the Sage in my opinion, but they both fit my largish hands very well. The Caly 3 is a knife that is meant to be held in the choil; your thumb and index fingers just lock onto the knife. The stretch is much better for holding in the "natural" grip-holding the knife with your full fist. The handle is designed to accomodate other grip styles as well, though-the caly 3 doesn't do this as well (but the grip it's designed for works very well). You'll just have to weigh the benefits of each knife and decide, but I have a slight preference for the stretch.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I normally hold both behind the choil, and only choke up when I want to, but for a guy who's 6' 2" I have fairly small hands.

These may help...

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]
Paul
Dagon

Post by Dagon »

The Caly 3 is a wonderful compact workhorse. The Stretch is delightfully universal because of the extra length. I have the impression that you have to be more careful with the tip of the blade of the Stretch, but if you use the knife for what it's designed: cutting; then it won't matter.
gilliu

one more vote for Stretch

Post by gilliu »

I have both. My vote would be for the Stretch in VG-10. It's cheaper than the other steels, and it's an amazing knife.

Deac, your pictures are terrific and I enjoy your posts often -- thanks for being so helpful
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Dagon wrote:The Caly 3 is a wonderful compact workhorse. The Stretch is delightfully universal because of the extra length. I have the impression that you have to be more careful with the tip of the blade of the Stretch, but if you use the knife for what it's designed: cutting; then it won't matter.
I think the tip of the Stretch is more robust than that of the Caly 3 which, to me, has a more acute point.

As for steels, pick one and there will be those who love it and those who despise it. ZDP-189 can be a bear to sharpen, especially if you let it get really dull and don't have access to diamond stones. It will chip, if abused, but then so well S30V. It will stain if left in contact with some foodstuffs for more than a few minutes, but so will VG-10. On the plus side, it will take a wicked edge and hold it longer than S30V and VG-10 and is more scratch resistant as well.
Paul
MLR

Post by MLR »

I've found little use for my Caly3 since receiving my Stretch FRN!
qualm

Post by qualm »

npueppke wrote:The Caly 3 has very good ergonomics. Even if it doesn't look like it does in pictures (it didn't to me), you would be surprised how well that little knife fits your hand. Of the two... it's a tough call. Neither is quite as good as the Sage in my opinion, but they both fit my largish hands very well. The Caly 3 is a knife that is meant to be held in the choil; your thumb and index fingers just lock onto the knife. The stretch is much better for holding in the "natural" grip-holding the knife with your full fist. The handle is designed to accomodate other grip styles as well, though-the caly 3 doesn't do this as well (but the grip it's designed for works very well). You'll just have to weigh the benefits of each knife and decide, but I have a slight preference for the stretch.
Oh no don't throw another knife in the mix LOL that Sage II looks pretty good. I have always liked the Sebenza. This is what always happens, just when you think that you have it figured out you find other knives to look at. I am really digging that Stretch though. At this point it is the one that I am leaning towards.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

The stretch is a fine knife; you won't be disappointed with it (either the ZDP or VG-10 steel).
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Stretch is my suggestion to you. Best wishes, if only all choices had such great options!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]