Stupid things you have done with a spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
feeny

Stupid things you have done with a spydie

Post by feeny »

I just found myself testing my t-mag for vertical blade play... made me feel real dumb and Im amazed I escaped unscathed - that t-mag shaves hairs without touching the skin...
...not quite as dumb as the time I tried to close the byrdrench whilst it was locked open... by pushing on the sharp side.. with effort :eek:

...but still dumb!
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

before i was a spyderco "enthusiast" a couple of friends and i gave my other friend a haircut with a ladybug on a bus ride to canada.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Tapping the pivot pin too much to get rid of the blade play and gaps on a D3/SE of mine. :o

I couldn't open it one handed anymore and the knife still had the vertical play and gaps :mad: :mad:
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Gollum

Post by Gollum »

Sold my G10 Harpy!
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Spinewhacking the crap out of my Chinook III.
I wanted to see if it would take it, and it did, but the lock is worn down a lot now. I should have stuck with reasonable spine whacking (or none at all) and kept my knife in good shape.

To be honest though, if I hadn't tried it I would still be curious.
Spyderwings

Post by Spyderwings »

Joshua J. wrote:Spinewhacking the crap out of my Chinook III.
I wanted to see if it would take it, and it did, but the lock is worn down a lot now. I should have stuck with reasonable spine whacking (or none at all) and kept my knife in good shape.

Isn't that the truth. The other day in a conversation my dad said something that at first everyone was like WTF, but the more I thought about it the more it made sense.

"I wouldn't know what I know if I hadn't done what I did" - Neil Dalsgaard
- Jason Dalsgaard
Current Spyders > C81GPBK Para-Military > C14SBK Rescue 93mm > C11P Delica 4 > FB05P Temperance > C29S Cricket > C14OR Full Sized Rescue > C90CF Stretch II > C12SBK Matriarch (VG-10)
feeny

Post by feeny »

Joshua J. wrote:Spinewhacking the crap out of my Chinook III.

That made me laugh!
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

my all time dumbest was dropping an opened Viele2 onto my left foot while sharpening :o
I've gotta agree with you feeny, the blade on my TMag is like yours, shaving sharp....i've already nipped myself with it ;)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
whitefeather

Post by whitefeather »

Not a spyderco but......playing with a ballisong while sitting on the toilet (barefoot) It's kind of hard to jump out of the way when your pants are around your ankles. No joke!
Big footed nick

Post by Big footed nick »

Hey, White feather I do the same thing! Except I've got a ccc that I rounded thet ip and edges :p
:spyder:
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

whitefeather wrote:Not a spyderco but......playing with a ballisong while sitting on the toilet (barefoot) It's kind of hard to jump out of the way when your pants are around your ankles. No joke!
Funniest Post to date I might have to put it in my sig line :D

aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

1) Decided to tie a paracord through the Spyderhole of my Native and pull it closed whilst holding the knife in the other hand. Bone stops a knife from cutting through your finger BTW !!!

2) Drop closed a Chinook II onto my finger. Once again this bone thing in our bodies makes an effective blade stopper :D

3) Leaving a razor sharp Spydie on my sidetable only to wake up with my wife screaming as my 1 year old managed to open up the knife and was stabbing my wife in the face with it to wake her up !!!! :O (IT HAPPENED TWICE !!! :O). Needless to say sharp things are not seen as a good thing by my better half as she has been traumatised, and hence why she thinks I only have half a dozen ;)

I'm sure that I will be doing more stupid things with my Spydies in years to come.

Cheers
Dan
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Michael Cook

here ya go

Post by Michael Cook »

More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

I consider just getting cut, period, pretty stupid; twirling my karambit without wristguards not too wise--though I've gotten away with it thus far!--it's almost like the equivalent of a negligent discharge, that hardly happens, so why does getting cut have to happen to us so often? :rolleyes: :eek: :spyder:

...it's funny, I've been carrying & using SAK's for almost 2 decades and I don't ever remember getting cut... :confused:

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Datan, no offense meant to your wife but the mental picture of that had me laughing myself to tears. Twice no less! I'm going to shut up here before I say the wrong thing. :eek: Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Medic

Post by Medic »

poke holes in the top of beer cans when im drunk with friends to make a carb to chug them faster.... hey, atleast i was drunk
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

The Mastiff wrote:Datan, no offense meant to your wife but the mental picture of that had me laughing myself to tears. Twice no less! I'm going to shut up here before I say the wrong thing. :eek: Joe

ROFL Mastiff, As you can see I too am laughing :D My wife had tears rolling down her cheeks as well, but not like the ones you and me are shedding now. She didn't see the lighter side of the picture and still does not :o

It missed her eyes both times ! And to think a 1 year old managed to open it. Betcha my daughter Spyderdropped it open too probably after seeing Daddy do it too many times whilst prepping for a photoshoot :cool:

My now 4 year old has managed to get my Ladybugs open whilst it is strapped to my belt, then managed to get herself and me cut :rolleyes: d'oh another black mark against my name. **** it, the wife is gonna have a field day when I turn 50 and she relays all the dumb things I have done :p

Cheers
Dan
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
feeny

Post by feeny »

Which spydie did the one year old open? Im guessing Native.
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

Was wiping the factory protectant off my new D2 Military a few hours ago and didn't notice that it cut through two layers of paper towel and shaved off a few layers of skin on my left index finger. Yikes!

Didn't even feel it until I noticed the flap of skin, LOL. :o
Caly E

Post by Caly E »

passed up a New Blue Lum for only $60 and a Perrin for $35 :(