Unclear on Concept of Neck Knife...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Unclear on Concept of Neck Knife...

Post by Bolster »

I'm unclear on the concept of the neck knife; hoping someone can explain it to me because I don't "get it."

A short knife, often with a full tang, skeletonized handle, (often with a finger hole or two), to be worn around the neck, under the shirt? How to deploy this...get undressed first? Wear only untucked tee shirts? Does it do duty as anything but a stubby SD weapon of last resort? Is it "explainable" to a LEO as a utilitarian tool? Does it flop around on my rib cage distractingly? Does it require a bulky sheath that makes a lump on my chest? Does it "print" an outline so it's easily visible? Could it cut my chest on a panic draw?

Who typically buys and wears these...Executives? Harley Bikers? FBI? SD Gurus? Lawyers? Gangstas? Real Estate Agents? Why would I want a neck knife as opposed to a small clipped folder? Does the Deacon wear one, and if so, does it sport lapis lazuli inlay? Just curious, thanks.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Hannibal Lecter

Thoughts On Neck Knives...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Friend,
Bolstermanic wrote:How to deploy this...get undressed first?
Not usually. :p A lot of guys who wear suits will leave one button undone on the dress shirt, behind the necktie, to allow access to such a knife. Polos are simply pulled up and out of the way.
Bolstermanic wrote:Wear only untucked tee shirts?
Probably wouldn't help much. ;)
Bolstermanic wrote:Does it do duty as anything but a stubby SD weapon of last resort?
It depends. The Spyderco Ronin was designed ot be used as a neck knife, and it is a *very* effective first-line of defense.
Bolstermanic wrote:Is it "explainable" to a LEO as a utilitarian tool?
He would normally never know it was there unless you were being frisked. :rolleyes:
Bolstermanic wrote:Does it flop around on my rib cage distractingly?
Not if the sheath is well-designed. Add-ons like the Mercharness help in this respect.
Bolstermanic wrote:Does it require a bulky sheath that makes a lump on my chest?
Not always. I have handled a Fred Perrin Neck Knife in a Kydex sheath that is completely invisible under clothing.
Bolstermanic wrote:Does it "print" an outline so it's easily visible?
Again, it depends on the knife. Most neck knives are VERY flat so printing is minimal.
Bolstermanic wrote:Could it cut my chest on a panic draw?
Not if you practice. Of course, if you spazz out you can cut yourself with anything, but under normal circumstances I would say it isn't much of a concern.
Bolstermanic wrote:Who typically buys and wears these...Executives? Harley Bikers? FBI? SD Gurus? Lawyers? Gangstas? Real Estate Agents?
All of the above, I expect. I don't often wear them, but will on occasion.
Bolstermanic wrote:Why would I want a neck knife as opposed to a small clipped folder?
Sometimes you don't want even the clip to be visible. I'll be honest - I never rely on a neck knife as a primary - for *me* it is a last-resort tool.
Bolstermanic wrote:Does the Deacon wear one, and if so, does it sport lapis lazuli inlay?
I can't comment on this other than to say if he does, I can practically guarantee the presence of Lapis. :D

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Michael Cook

train hard and stay safe!

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I use a variant of the "hackathorn rip" to access my swick. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
KaliGman

I have a few

Post by KaliGman »

I have a few neck knives. They are deep concealment items, like ankle holstered firearms. A neck knife is an option when you aren't wearing a belt on which to hang another type of fixed blade or don't have pockets. Wearing a t-shirt and swimtrunks, I can carry a neck knife and the only part that will be occassionally in view will be the thin chain around my neck, which, being the same as a military ID or dog tag chain, does not scream "knife." Like ankle holstered firearms, the neck knife takes practice to access quickly. As to how you access one, there are so many ways to carry, access and draw these that I am not going into the various permutations.

I have worn them under coat and tie and under t-shirts. I used to carry a MOD neck knife under body armor in SWAT, as my "I will always have at least this blade to cut flex cuffs, paracord, etc." blade.

As for what category of carrier you want to put me in, have at it...I have in the past or currently fit multiple categories that you mentioned :D .
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The nice thing about neck knives is that you don't actually have to wear them around your neck to enjoy them. You can stick those knives just about anywhere, and it'll carry very well. In neck carry mode, I like the Swick best. It's a remarkably useful utility knife for when I'm wearing shorts without proper pockets or belts.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I wear all my neck knives high up over my sternum...I don't like it when a knife hangs down around my solar plexus...I just reach inside over the front top of my t-shirt grab the sheath with two fingers and pull the whole thing out from the front...let it drop to the front of my chest outside the shirt and draw in one movement....I never liked the idea of drawing a live blade from under a shirt where I can't see the blade....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
JD Spydo

Neck Knives: They have their place

Post by JD Spydo »

Neck knives definitely are legitimate tools for sure. Now you got guys/gals who love them and you got folks who are not so fond of them. I've had several of them over the past 4 years and the only 2 of them that felt comfortable to me were both Spyderco blades. The Swick and the Ronin both worked well for me in that format.

However I tend to like something I can wear around my ankle better. That Ronin is one fantastic Ankle knife. The Swick I thought was just perfect in design, size, weight and length. Also if you don't like the sheaths that you get from the Factory you can go to River City Sheaths who makes great neck knife sheaths.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Bolster

Gman in Multiple Categories

Post by Bolster »

KaliGman wrote: As for what category of carrier you want to put me in, have at it...I have in the past or currently fit multiple categories that you mentioned :D .
Ha ha, G-man, let's see: I know you're a SD Guru, and I believe you had some gov't operative background, LEO or FBI or CIA or something, so what else...I'm guessing real estate agent that rides his clients around on a Harley?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

I need to get a Ronin. I fall under some of those catagories above, but I have been carrying the same neck knife for the better part of 4 years. I forget that it is there. The Emerson Lagriffe knife. I wear it with pretty much everything! Not primary, but as a last ditch, it excels! :D
Salamander42

Post by Salamander42 »

I've never had any SD training, let alone SD training that focused on knife use, so I don't wear a knife with SD in mind, but I find that neck knives are definitely useful for more than concealment and SD. I'm not a I big fan of wearing anything around my neck, but I do occasionally wear a knife on a merc harness type rig. I find it convenient sometimes around camp when I'm doing a lot of squatting and kneeling or sitting on the ground and it's sometimes not so easy to access a knife on my belt or in my pocket. It's handy also if I'm wearing sweat pants or shorts with no belt or pockets. The one drawback to wearing a neck knife for general utility use is that it requires two hands to re-sheath the knife. Not too big of a deal usually, but I could definitely imagine situations where that could be a problem. As for the issue of "explaining" it to a LEO, if it's concealed I think that justifying it would be quite difficult to do. If it's a utilitarian tool, then why would you have it concealed? At least I think that would be their line of reasoning.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

The Spot or the Swick are both quite flat with little to zero "print".

I doubt the Deacon would ever wear a neck knife around the neck.

Once you strap on a seatbelt and feel the neck knife pressing into your sternum; hopefully you are re-thinking your carry options.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
merciful

Post by merciful »

Fortunately for me, I won't have to be in the position of explaining my Fred Perrin Street Cleaver. The law here allows me to carry just about any sort of knife (no push daggers, no automatics, or balis) however I like, as long as I'm not using it to commit a crime.

I love a neck knife for trips to the gym and such, when i really don't want anything at all in my pocket.
Salamander42 wrote:As for the issue of "explaining" it to a LEO, if it's concealed I think that justifying it would be quite difficult to do. If it's a utilitarian tool, then why would you have it concealed? At least I think that would be their line of reasoning.
Those who give up their freedom for safety will soon find that they have neither.[SIZE="-1"][/size]
The Deacon

Lmao

Post by The Deacon »

Hannibal Lecter wrote:
Bolstermanic wrote:Does the Deacon wear one, and if so, does it sport lapis lazuli inlay? Just curious, thanks.
I can't comment on this other than to say if he does, I can practically guarantee the presence of Lapis. :D

--------
Hannibal
Sorry guys, no lapis for this boy. While there's probably a greater chance of me driving over to Vermont next January and pogo-sticking naked through Brattleboro, than there is of my wearing a neck knife of any kind in public, if I were to wear one, this this little beauty would be it.

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]

Stone is too cold against the skin, stag is soooo much better. :D

Thanks Chad! :D

Oh, and like KaliGman, I've been a couple or three of those things you mentioned Bolstermanic.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
So-Lo

Post by So-Lo »

It that you in the picture? :cool:
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

So-Lo wrote:It that you in the picture? :cool:
Well I'm obviously not him, but that is our beloved Deacon in all his tie-dyed glory. :D
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
selektah

breakaway connector?

Post by selektah »

Those of you who wear neck knives, do you keep them on a chain or cord which will break away - for quick access or if someone tries to strangle you with it?

something like this breakaway connector from lighthound for 550 paracord.
rs2

Post by rs2 »

Bolstermanic wrote:Who typically buys and wears these ... Lawyers?

Yes. :cool:

My two favorites are the Emerson La Griffe and Todd Begg's Tree Frog.

Ron
aka RSS1911
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Hey Deacon, never mind the knife, the shirt would definately attract all the attention my friend! :D
shu

Post by shu »

While I don't carry a necker for SD, they are very handy when wearing rain gear, waders, snow bibs, swim trunks, etc. I like to spend a lot of time outdoors so have a few...

My current favorite is the Tom Krein-designed CRKT Dogfish--lightweight, very thin, a sharp little wharnie blade, and the fish's mouth is a bottle opener (can't have too many bottle openers).
butch

Post by butch »

i have mine on out side my shirt most the time when im "packing "one

in shirt they don't print and some people ask about them when they see it on me

things like "cool colors " "ooo thats a knife" "and it doesn't fall out?"

Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com