Paramilitary refinement - Need input.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
STR

Post by STR »

I'd have to add that if you are fixing the sharp point on the blade tang area that bites people when they reach in their pockets to get something other than their knife that you have effectively eliminated a large part of the appeal for many to send the knife to me to have a custom clip made for it in tip up carry.

I know there are a ton of people out there carrying the Para Military everyday with low riders in tip up carry I custom made and then installed on them and they have never once reported back to me any problems with safety from the tip coming out and biting them in the hand or the leg or anywhere else. Frankly I can't see that happening because the point is back in the corner of your pocket in that mode of carry and not where your hand will be sliding if you carry your knife like the majority of the folks do in the right front pocket.

The only other suggestion I could come up with is maybe offer the Para Military in a frame lock style along the lines of the ATR in a limited run for those of us that would find that much more appealing if that lock style is going to stick. I'm still thinking I'd be first in line for a couple of them in a lockback though. I'd also like a conventional frame lock along the lines of a Sebenza over the one on it now although I readilly admit yours is much stronger. I just find it awkward, and don't care for the way it can pinch the meat on my finger at times. The Yojimbo was the worst for this but the PM has done it to me also.

STR
It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog
Martin84

Post by Martin84 »

Hi folks,

at first i want to say hello to you, because this is my premiere-post in this forum. So: Hello =)

I have to admit, that i have been getting my teeth into this knife-thing for (only?) a couple of months now, and i am still looking for MY knife.
I can't see becoming a knife-collector yet (although that has nothing to say :D ), but on my quite intensive search for a high-quality EDC/EDU, i came across the Paramilitary. The knife seems almost perfect to me, but still there are some issues that prevent me from spending 150 bucks for that beauty.
I.e. four-way clip, low riding (optional?), getting rid of that sharp edge.

So my question is:
When will we get to see that all new (not just finer jimping), revamped version of the paramili?
Sal wrote in the same thread on bladeforums.com, that it would be "an early '07 project"... so, perhaps i'm kind of impatient, but... you know what i mean :rolleyes:

I just gotta get my hands on that thing! :D

Cheers!
Martin
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

Martin, welcome to the forums!

So far as being impatient: don't worry about it at all. We're all like that ;)

Your search for the perfect EDC may well end with the Paramilitary, but so far as the clip, it's probably best to talk to STR about getting a low rider made for it. The early '07 estimation on the new Para might be a bit off, as are lots of deadlines, but understandably so. Better that the knife is late because they're taking the time to do it right than to get it on time and have things falling apart at the seams. Good things come to those that wait. Trust me, I know :cool: :rolleyes:

Please enjoy your stay!

-Jeff

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Tip up carry is all i could ask for :cool:
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
The General

Post by The General »

1. Make the cutting edge a hair under 3"

2. Use ZDP-189 steel as standard

3. Make the tip stronger and more damage resistant

4. 4 way clip idea already mentioned

5. Work more on the sharp edges (already mentioned)

6. Reduce the size of the back of the handle "beak"
My real name is Wayne :D
Martin84

Post by Martin84 »

Jeff,

thanks for your reply. I can fully understand that they don't want to throw a half-finished product on the market. I'd rather wait some more months to get the real thing, because i've got (kind of) a quality-fetish regarding things i have with me every day, and i have to rely on.
Referring to your quotes in your signature: the one of Ueshiba reminds me of kicking myself in the *** and practicing again! =)

Martin
spydercojoe

Para thoughts

Post by spydercojoe »

Hi Sal, Thanks for asking about the Para. I have about 60 Spyderco knives with only a couple duplicates. I carry them and use them all at different times and the one that finds its way into my pocket 90 percent of the time is the plain edge para.
I did have to modify it right off the bat. Drilled holes and put a jess horn type clip for tip up carry (for us leftys). Tip up makes this knife about 10 times more handy then tip down.-- so the 4 way idea would satisfy us all.
I like variety so a dark green G-10 would be interesting.
I also would want to buy one with no black coating as the black coating makes the blade far less easy to slice through things. There is a resistance factor there. I dont know the technical term. Just grab a black blade and a non black blade and you can feel it for yourself.
Stay with theS30V or go to the D2 cpm if it proves better.
Overall the para carrys more cutting flexability then many many other models.
Thanks for asking. Joe Maddox
mikup

Post by mikup »

Hey, I like spyderco military and paramilitary, but... Military is too large for EDC and Paramilitary has too short blade.
What I want to chante is:
- 4 way clip option standard.
- Change the blade pivot screws
- compression lock is OK
- larger blade with more robust tip

I sent my sketches to the company, but the asnwer was no! Look at it (the blade or my Military is better than paramilitary). What do you thing about it?
Bodieism

Post by Bodieism »

mikup wrote:What do you thing about it?
The blade shape looks a lot like that of the Endura to me. I like it better than the Endura blade shape though. I really like the blade shape of the Para so its kind of hard to beat.

The thing I hate most about the Para is the handle to blade ratio. I would prefer the handle to be shorter than for the blade length to increase. I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Para with a slightly shorter blade. I think previously I said that I wouldn't mind seeing a slighly more robust tip but I have to retract that. Here lately I've noticed that the precision needle like tip comes in really handy and I need/use it more often than a robust one.

Things I'd like to see changed most in the Para:

1. Shorter Handle (I'd like the blade to be much longer in comparison with the handle length).
2. A BB lock or lockback would be my first choice for the lock. Next choice would be an ATR style lock with metal handles.
3. Maybe a very slight decrease in blade length.
-- Bodie

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione!
Martin84

Post by Martin84 »

The thing is, this handle-to-blade ratio is one of the design- keyelements of the para. And i wouldn't want to miss the handle-shape of the recent model, because it guarantees a good grip.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I realize I chimed in on this thread almost a year ago. Just a few more things I want to say....

The more I use my current Para's the more I think they don't need any changing.

Maybe drilled for tip down left hand carry but no need to swiss chesse the handles with 4 way clip options.

Keep the compression lock but throw in an eccentric stop pin to adjust for future wear.

I personally don't think that the sharp corner on the blade tang when closed is an issue. Spyderco already addressed this by rounding it slightly.

I'm almost afraid of too much change which is why I am buying a few more before the new ones come out. :D
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
carrot

Post by carrot »

After carrying around the Para for awhile I have decided that there really is nothing that I would change, save for fixing the development of vertical blade play over time. I think the jimping on the older model is perfect, both aesthetically and functionally and don't see why there was a change.
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
CRS

Post by CRS »

Only thing for me..... with the PE Black blade, I would like ALL of the hardware, screws, compression lock etc, to be black. Everthing but the logo, sal's mark, and the made in USA/steel marks.

Cheers
CRS
An invitation to visit my Photography Galleries at:
http://www.pbase.com/crs
Imprezed

Post by Imprezed »

Black Blade plain edge Para is my EDC and has been for the past 6 months. I could not come up with to many things I would change. Maybe add some screws on the other side of the knife for the clip.

One thing I would like to see would be some notches cut out of the handle like Dialex's Adventura. It would make it even lighter and also make the Gigantic handle seem a bit smaller. I would like to say is that this is by far one of my favorite knives and to me it would be a luxury to modify this knife because it is perfect the way it is.

Thanks Sal.

rich
Martin84

Post by Martin84 »

I just re-discovered STR's custom- low ride clip thread. Regarding to the fact that in the newer models the sharp edge has been rounded, i might consider to buy one of the current paramilis and ask STR if he'd make one of those clips for me...
I mean, i wouldn't carry it in my left pocket or tip-up anyway, so i don't think it's getting any better.
Although it would be interesting to know, what changes will really make it into production..
low ride clips as standard for the para have been in discussion for 2 years now, and i don't see them coming... what do you think about it?
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Just a better quality compression lock(linerlock would even be better) that won't show wobble after a few cuttings would be great :cool:

I might take my chances and try another one then :confused:
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
DRod

Post by DRod »

Placed an order with the Pharmacy EARLY this morning. They should have one plain edge instock now. I hope I get the newest one. Gets here tuesday. This will be my first G10 Spydey. Cant wait to tear up my pockets with it. :)
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain 1947
TK

Post by TK »

Any news on approx. release date of updated Para?
"I always thought it would be great to have two wives."
"No! You're thinking of a man with two knives."
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Not sure if this has been suggested yet, but would like to see the handle made a little bit longer.

It would be nice to have a comfy grip without the choil, it's seems like my index finger is kinda "forced" to ride there. I've started to grip my knives behind the choil rather often, and my favorites actually have no choil at all (I've come a long way since I joined this forum, I used to be gung-ho choil :p )

Sal, was the para designed to use a choil only grip?
GMArthur

Post by GMArthur »

Time for the monthly bump. I really want to get a Para but want to wait and see if a tip up option is added. Just curious where this project is at. :)