Handle material: G-10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you like to see a Spyderco with polished G-10?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:27 am

Yes.
33%
No.
40%
I don't care.
27%

Total votes: 73

huugh

Handle material: G-10

Post by huugh »

Hi,
G-10 has become popular handle material in last years. However it seems most manufacturers chose the textured G-10 and stick to it's "tactical" look.

I realize that this heavy texturing improves grip but isn't it too much? I mean most folders are under 4", often way less, do we really need it?

Very few knives were produced using polished G-10 (Kershaw Leek (and that was limited run), BM Gravitator and Dejavoo).

However I quite like it's appearance and I'd sacrifice the sandpaper-like grip for it :)

Blue G-10 Spyderco used on several models was good start. With G-10 you can have great variety. E.g. silver twill G-10. Present on some customs and if I'm not mistaken, of production knives only tiny bits of it on BM 425 and 210 (limited run again).

My question is why? (and it's very similar situation with Micarta). Current situation is boring.
Left Hand Path

Need more G-10 variety

Post by Left Hand Path »

While I like Spyderco's G-10 on my Caly 3 (and also G-10 byrd Robin), I would love to see more variety and different shapes and colors.

I think a Spyderco with different/smoother texture G-10, and a more curvy/rounded/3-d shape in a color other than black would be very nice. In all honesty though, I am usually in favor of variety. Variety is the spice of life, and while I have my favorites, I like to carry different types of knives.
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
Th232

Post by Th232 »

I voted no, since I prefer the grippy G-10. Besides, aside from the dust, it's easier to sand the G-10 down to make it smooth, rather than making smooth G-10 grippy.

Now, if you ask about different colours...
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

Hannibal Lecter

Ahem...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Friends,
Th232 wrote:Now, if you ask about different colours...
That statement is right on the money...

Purple sounds good... :D

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I'll admit it, G-10 is not my favorite handle material. Then again, I'm starting to look at more "gentlemanly" knives than I used to, so maybe a polished G-10would be an interesting thing to have. But I would like to see it in a color other than black. Maybe a gun metal blue?

Of course, micarta is very similar, and I would also love to see some more micarta spydies! (In a few different colors, of course ;) )
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I like G-10 because of the grippiness. I would like to see more Micarta, especially in the applications where smooth G-10 is proposed.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

I have a Native 1 with smooth black/green G-10. It is a different feel that we're used to with the really grippy texture that Spyderco and Al Mar use. I like G-10 in both forms as well as Micarta. My green canvas micarta handled FB is surprisingly grippy when it gets wet and very smooth & cool feeling when it's dry.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
naggalowmo

Post by naggalowmo »

Although it is visually appealing, I can't hold on to my dejavoo for my life its so slippery. I had a g-10 leak polished before i gifted it to a friend and it was much better in terms of grip than the dejavoo. So depending on how its done Id say yes and no. :o
"There's always something waiting at the end of the road. If you're not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place."
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I carry spydercos for self protection, I don't care how they look by far as much as I do how they feel in hand. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
KaliGman

G-10

Post by KaliGman »

yablanowitz wrote:I like G-10 because of the grippiness. I would like to see more Micarta, especially in the applications where smooth G-10 is proposed.
Exactly. I love grippy G-10 handles. If you want smooth, I like Micarta just fine.

Different colors would be good, as long as red is still reserved solely for trainers. :D
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I voted "I don't care". If I had my way, they'd drop G-10 and CF altogether. Bolsters and wood, bone, or stag scales look soooo much better. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

I like the idea of different colours or textures of G-10, but it would also be nice to see greater use of Micarta.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

With the exception of Blue Tweed and Silver Tweed G-10(which are both quite uncommon on production knives, and difficult to find as is, particularly Blue Tweed, which I can't find anywhere anymore) there is absolutely no reason to ever polish G-10. Polished G-10 loses everything that makes G-10 great.

If a handle material is going to be polished, it should be micarta. Micarta looks much better polished than G-10 does.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

It looks okay but I'd much rather have micarta.
JD Spydo

Voted YES under conditions of......

Post by JD Spydo »

I went ahead and voted YES because I always like to try new stuff and I've never had a knife with a Polished G-10 handle. I would love to check it out on a Sprint run maybe or a new obscure model.

Now I must admit that I am a big fan of the "Grippy" G-10. But I am also a fan of all of the Micarta handled Spyders as well. It might have a great Salt Water application the more I think about it. It might also do well on a fixed blade.

So I guess at this point I would just say>> Bring it on!!
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I have had all of the knives in your pictures. I didn't like all of them due to their handle "slickness". I sold or traded all of them.

Spyderco has the best G10 on the market. I wouldn't want it any other way.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I voted yes!...Doesn't mean I don't like Micarta or the grippy G-10 but the polished G-10 not only feels wonderful in the hands it looks great...I have several knives with polished G-10 handles and I like each one of them....I am suprised that Spyderco hasn't made one yet in Polished G-10...I would buy it in a heartbeat....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

I voted "i don't care" coz I'd prefer G10 not as coarse as it is currently offered on clipits but not as smooth as polished.... :rolleyes:
Speaking of polished, isn't the G-10 on the Lil Temp considered "polished" G-10? :confused:
If I had my way (and if I had an unlimited income).....everything would have either Matte CF scales or Desert Ironwood..... :p
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

The Deacon wrote:I voted "I don't care". If I had my way, they'd drop G-10 and CF altogether. Bolsters and wood, bone, or stag scales look soooo much better. :D
Hmmm, Paul, for a guy who is a big fan of those materials it sounds like you may be a fan of the wrong brand, given less than 10% of Spydercos come with those scale types. Perhaps you should check THESE knives out--nary a CF, G-10 or Micarta among them! :)

...Not that I don't always enjoy another post about the dearth of damascus, bone, stag, wood, clipless, Boye-Dentless knives in Spyderco's offerings.... Image
...and if I had my way, I too would have unlimited income like Jai! Image
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

I voted no because I like my G10 grippy as well ;)

As for colours, I don't want them any brighter than BRG.
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p