Newbie: Spyderco vs. Byrd

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ahearn

Newbie: Spyderco vs. Byrd

Post by ahearn »

I'm new to quality knives and just purchased a Spydie Dragonfly (PE, stainless handle) a couple of weeks ago. I've been VERY impressed with the knife and am probably on my way to being a Spyderco fanatic. The quality, workmanship, material, feel, looks -- everything is perfect.

Now to my point.

I liked my Spydie so much that I wanted to give a few as gifts to members of my family. Watching my budget, I decided on the Byrd Robin, which I understood was designed and sold by Spyderco, but manufactured in China, at a lower cost. They do not have the Spyderco name or logo on them.

I expected to get something slightly inferior to my "real" Spydie. Spyderco's web site almost sounds apologetic for this product line. However, when I received my shipment (I also ordered one for myself - naturally) and began examining the knife, it is of the same high quality, workmanship, materials, looks, feel as my other Spydie. I was pleasantly surprised.

I realize my experience is only two knives, but are my observations correct in that the Byrd line is top quality, just at a lower cost? If so, I'll be buying more Byrds.
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Byrd line. :)

Byrds are good, quality knives with excellent prices. I think you'll be equally pleased with any future Byrds that you purchase. I'm actually planning on picking up another one soon, too.
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

I agree, you cant go wrong w/ a Byrd. I currently own 4 of them, and the pelican is still one of my absolute favorite work knives. Considering you can get a Byrd for about $20, and still get excellent edge retention and solid lock up, and not to mention great ergos, you just can loose.
J
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder:

yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The Byrd line of knives are well made, very well finished, and made from very good materials, all at a more than reasonable price. The main Spyderco line features better blade steels, wider model selection and (in my opinion) more refined designs then the Byrd.

The Byrd line is probably the best knife you can get at that price point, but the Spyderco line is even better. :D

Welcome to the family! ;)
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

The Byrd knives are worth way more than they cost. Every good Spydie fan should have at least a handful of Byrds. :cool:
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I own all the Byrds...When they first came out I was not only reluctant to purchase them but downright against owning or carrying one...prob cause I'm a die hard Spyderco fan...after giving the Byrd a line a chance, I really like them...all of them...for the money they are well made and hold up to extreme abuse...I went thru a love hate love hate thingy with some of them...giving a lot away and ended up re-purchasing them for my use and collection...The Robin, Cara-Cara, Pelican, and Crossbill PE and Finch SS are among my favorites...they can take a sharp edge if you are good at putting sharp edges on blades, my only complaint left is the cheap boxes they come in, they deserve better in the form of a decent box, because it is more than just a decent knife...at it's price point...you can't buy a better knife...and if you think you can tell me about it and I'll prove you wrong.....Doc :D

BTW Spyderco if you are listening...A recurve blade in the Byrd line would be a nice addition....Doc
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Hans Farmer

Post by Hans Farmer »

I purchased a byrd "raven" a couple weeks ago and I just love it. this thing is so **** well made - unbelievable for the price. a decila used to be my EDC for the last 5 years or so, but right now I like the raven a lot better, heck I even like it better than my endura.

the raven came with a sharp but not impressive sharp edge (couldn't shave hairs off my arm). but then I spend it about a half hour with my lansky system and now the blade is scary sharp. I did a lot of serious cutting since then and the edge keep its sharpness very well. all in all I would say it's a really good knife and considered the price range I'm willing to say it's probably the best I have ever owned.

regards, hans
If you want a watch get tough jobs done - wear a G-Shock

If you want a knife get tough jobs done - carry a Spyderco
ahearn

Post by ahearn »

Ok guys, it's your fault if I now load up on Byrds and blow my bank account. Any advice on which to buy after the Robin?
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

ahearn wrote:Ok guys, it's your fault if I now load up on Byrds and blow my bank account. Any advice on which to buy after the Robin?
Anything that tickles your fancy. :D But seriously, I'd suggest the crossbill. It's a great way to try a hawkbill blade without spending a lot, and it looks really cool :p

I love the byrds
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

ahearn wrote:Ok guys, it's your fault if I now load up on Byrds and blow my bank account. Any advice on which to buy after the Robin?
It really depends upon your own preference, but I'd suggest one of the G-10 offerings. For me, the G-10 Meadowlark is a terrific EDC knife.
Rogcohen

Post by Rogcohen »

Well, depends what you're looking for. I've got a g10 Cara Cara and Meadowlark, and I think they're both great. Also, keep your eye out for the Catbyrd and G10 flight comning out, both of which I think are nice looking knives. You can check them out here:

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... ht=catbyrd
Roger
ahearn

Post by ahearn »

Thanks for the link Rogcohen.

Wow, the Catbyrd is a very nice looking knife. I noticed the posts were in February of this year. Any idea when these new products will be available?

It's still hard to believe, as a newbie to knives, that you can get the quality and design of the Byrds at such reasonable prices.
bluemist

Post by bluemist »

I can't find the Byrd pics in that threaD.. Is it just me? I are slow sometimes.

(edit) this time it was my connection that was slow, the pics did load.. I have to agree that the Catbyrd will be a must have for me. I can't keep track of every spyderco I "need" anymore.
spyder spyder spyder spyder
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I can't believe any one would ask this question. :rolleyes:

"What byrd to buy after the Robin?"

CROSSBILL :D :D :D

There is currently nothing like it in the Spyderco (or byrd) line up.

Oh Please Please make a lightweight version with an effective blade stop in either G10 or FRN, with nested steel liners. Pretty Please! :D
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

congrats on the Robin Ahearn! :cool:
I suggest the Flatbyrd next.... ;)
http://www.wildeals.com/spyderco-by16p- ... -1853.html
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."