Maintenance

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rogcohen

Maintenance

Post by Rogcohen »

Hi all,

I'm new to knives and just got my first Spyderco, a Persian C83. Little tight, but it's loosening. I love the feel and look of this knife and the blade is razor sharp. I'm going to enjoy this one. As I said, I'm new, and I want to learn the best way to take care of my Spydie, ie how should I oil it etc... Thanks for your help!
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Rogcohen wrote:Hi all,

I'm new to knives and just got my first Spyderco, a Persian C83. Little tight, but it's loosening. I love the feel and look of this knife and the blade is razor sharp. I'm going to enjoy this one. As I said, I'm new, and I want to learn the best way to take care of my Spydie, ie how should I oil it etc... Thanks for your help!
This is one question I may actually be qualified to answer ;)

The Persian(like most Spyders) is a very low maintenance knife. Apart from the normal maintenance, it's needs are minimal. But here's a checklist just for fun.

1. For the Persian, the first thing you'll want to do is clean the pivot out and re-oil it. I use hot tap water at full pressure. Once you've cleaned the pivot area out, make sure all the water is out of the internal parts(a few flicks should typically get most of it out). Follow up with pressurized air or a hair dryer to get the remaining residue out, you want to make sure it's completely dry.

2. Next comes the oiling process, and what oil you use doesn't really matter. I use militec so I'll explain how I use that. My knife should already be warm from the hot water and hair dryer so that step can be skipped(militec bonds better to warm metal) I apply a few drop to the pivot, and open and close the knife a few times, just to make sure it's all in there. Then out comes the hair dryer again, to heat the metal up. Once this is done, pop a movie in the VCR/DVD player, and start opening and closing your knife. By the end of the movie, your Persian should be nearly glassy smooth. If not, repeat again the next day. The most mine ever took(I've had 6) was 3 days.

3. Once your knife is smoothed out, the only thing you have to worry about is general maintenance. Make sure the lock well and interior of the handle are free of lint, a tooth pick can easily get most of the big chunks out, along with compressed air for the lighter stuff. Depending on your climate, you may want to apply a thin layer of oil to the blade, but usually not necessary, unless you're around water a lot, or live in a high humidity area.

4. Keep your knife sharp, I recommend the Spyderco Sharpmaker, because it's easy to use. Don't let it get too dull before you sharpen it, it's easier to touch it up periodically than to sharpen it all the way from dull.

Hope this helps somewhat, I'm sure others will have better advice than mine, but this is just something to start with. I may have forgotten something.

By the way, welcome to the Forum, and great knife to pick as your first. I carry one every day. :cool:
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Tim8557

Post by Tim8557 »

I agree with everything that Scott says. As I have several Persians and Mini Persians, I thinkl the nature of this knife is to be stiff. I did what Scott recomends on a Mini Persian, though not the DVD deal but I am starting to see things loosen up. It is such a well made knife, it feels like a custom and the black micarta is beautiful.

To me, the main maintence to a knife is the edge. Keep it sharp with a steel (I prefer a smooth steel, which realigns the edge) and a leather strop. If you do that and are not using the knife to cut sidewalks, you may never have to sharpen it again.

Now if you are using it in the wet and slop, field dressing game, etc., there is more maintenace. Generally it is cleaning out the gook, keeping the pivot points lubed and the blade cleaned and dried before putting it away.
Tim Dowling
"Remember, Amateurs built the Ark.....but Professionals built the Titanic !"
Rogcohen

Thanks!

Post by Rogcohen »

Thanks guys, that really helps. Gonna get me some oil and keep it working nice and smoothly. I really like this knife. Feels great, looks great, cuts great and a good bargain to boot.
Plowboy

Post by Plowboy »

Rogcohen,

I'm fairly new around here too. These guys (as you have seen) can be very helpful.

smcfalls13, thanks for that advice.
If you carry either a knife or firearm, please abide by the law and be respectful. We all represent each other.

Let's unite to preserve and expand our legal rights. Please join:

KnifeRights (http://www.kniferights.org) and NRA (http://www.nra.org)

:)
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

I use a similar process to smcfalls 13. I flush with WD 40 and opperate the knife many times. I then blow out with compressed air and relube with a synthetic oil or grease. I use compressed air again to blow the thick lubricating oil into the mechanism and wipe off the excess from the knife...Ed
Tim8557

Post by Tim8557 »

Ed Schempp wrote:I use a similar process to smcfalls 13. I flush with WD 40 and opperate the knife many times. I then blow out with compressed air and relube with a synthetic oil or grease. I use compressed air again to blow the thick lubricating oil into the mechanism and wipe off the excess from the knife...Ed
Hey Rogcohen, in case you are unaware, Mr. Schempp is the Designer of your Persian. I guess the advice doesn't get any better than this!

Mr. Schempp I absolutley think your Persians and Mini Persians are the greatest and very much look and feel like customs. I guess the Kriss is in my future. I just need to make UPS deliveries coincide with days the wife is gone. :D :D :D
Tim Dowling
"Remember, Amateurs built the Ark.....but Professionals built the Titanic !"
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Tim8557 wrote:Hey Rogcohen, in case you are unaware, Mr. Schempp is the Designer of your Persian. I guess the advice doesn't get any better than this!

Mr. Schempp I absolutley think your Persians and Mini Persians are the greatest and very much look and feel like customs. I guess the Kriss is in my future. I just need to make UPS deliveries coincide with days the wife is gone. :D :D :D
Tim you are going to love the Kris...I certainly love mine.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Rogcohen

Post by Rogcohen »

Ed Schempp wrote:I use a similar process to smcfalls 13. I flush with WD 40 and opperate the knife many times. I then blow out with compressed air and relube with a synthetic oil or grease. I use compressed air again to blow the thick lubricating oil into the mechanism and wipe off the excess from the knife...Ed
Thanks Ed. I think it's great you get on the forums and help newbies out like me. By the way, I love the Persian! Thanks for designing such a great knife.
Roger
Ttom

Post by Ttom »

Hi, guys!
I'm new here and I learned it 20 years ago, so sorry about my bad english...
I live in Budapest, Hungary, and I've got about 25 folders, 10 of them are Spydercos. It's my favourite brand, I like the characteristic shape of the Sp. blades.
I carry a PE Paramilitary every day,and I'm very satisfied with it.
My problem is that I traded an old Police SS model with a friend (Gin-1 steel)
and its pocket clip missing. Here,in Hungary, accessories are not available, and I couldn't find a piece on eBay too.
If anyone have got this, I would buy it,if it's possible.
I would like to see this old Police complete, 'cos it is beautiful!
Thanx! Tom
Andre V

Post by Andre V »

Ttom wrote:Hi, guys!
I'm new here and I learned it 20 years ago, so sorry about my bad english...
I live in Budapest, Hungary, and I've got about 25 folders, 10 of them are Spydercos. It's my favourite brand, I like the characteristic shape of the Sp. blades.
I carry a PE Paramilitary every day,and I'm very satisfied with it.
My problem is that I traded an old Police SS model with a friend (Gin-1 steel)
and its pocket clip missing. Here,in Hungary, accessories are not available, and I couldn't find a piece on eBay too.
If anyone have got this, I would buy it,if it's possible.
I would like to see this old Police complete, 'cos it is beautiful!
Thanx! Tom
Try your local Spyderco dealer :

MOSKITO LIMITED

Phone: 011 361 2424116
Address:
1031 BUDAPEST
SZENTENDREI UT 174/A
BUDAPEST, 1031
HUNGARY.

I am sure that they will be able to supply you the clip you need
"So many knives, so little pockets"
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

If your local dealer doesn't work out, you may want to contact Spyderco or the SFO directly. They have helped me with new clips and screws in the past. Now I have modest collection of spare parts from various 'self destroyed' models. :p

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
Ttom

Post by Ttom »

Thanks,I'll try it!
Ttom

Post by Ttom »

So,I emailed both of them, but no answer...
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Shoot Spyderco's Warranty and Repair an email, they can most likely set you up with a clip and screws, and whatever other cool stuff you may need. They make take a few days to get back to you though, since they're almost always pretty busy. A call is usually faster, but not necessarily feasible where you are(what time is it over there?)

Hope that helps.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-