Spymyto is hot!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: Spymyto is hot!

Post by Mushroom »

Pokey wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 1:58 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 8:03 pm

I love that Spyderco numbers the flash batch knives. I think the prospect of getting a cool serial number is something fun to chase, kind of like getting a rare trading card in a pack of cards.

Numbers like 0001/2000 or 2000/2000 would be super cool, in my opinion. So many other potential numbers too.

I wouldn’t necessarily attribute any monetary value to any specific number though. The value of any serial number is primarily, and probably exclusively, subjective.
The day I picked mine up at the SFO they had 4 on hand. The demo model was #1237. I asked if they had #1234, and we joked about something like #007. (Not enough digits.😉) I ended up with #0431, so they’re very random.
I think the randomness adds to the fun! That way buying early doesn’t guarantee a low number and vise versa.

#1234 would be an awesome number in my opinion. I was lucky and got #0123 on my Lil Nilakka but that’s my only flash batch number worth mentioning so far. My others are just random. Still waiting for my SpyMyto to arrive: I’m excited to find out what number I got! :cheap-sunglasses

Mrj wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 2:29 pm
Nice! Low numbers are always fun! :bug-white-red
- Nick :bug-red
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

gimibala wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 3:36 pm
“Mrj” I’m jealous, mine is x4xx/2000

Today my son’s knife arrives and I hope for a number under 10, or 500/2000 or 777/2000 or 1000/2000 or 1978/2000

:cheap-sunglasses
I got 510, close.
FloridaMan

Post by FloridaMan »

I got #086 and #880. I bought one for my brother in law, he doesn’t care which number he gets. And I can find a reason to want one over the other. Anything that catches y’all’s eye about either number?
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Pure Blades (Priced Higher)... https://pureblades.com/spymyto-flash-ba ... -c265mtip/

Edit: Out of stock
•• Beau
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Wndup2:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
ilikesharpstuff

Post by ilikesharpstuff »

Unfortunately I didn't fall in love with the knife like I hoped I would and it will be on it's way to a new home this afternoon.

Build quality was great, factory edge was great, blade was centered, action felt like it would break in nicely, and lockup was good. Definitely not a fault in execution, I just wasn't drawn to it enough to even give it a chance. Good knife, just not a keeper for me.

I will say a major factor for me was lockbar access. The inside of the lockbar is chamfered, but the show side scale isn't cleared for access which forces your thumb to the top of the lockbar that is made sharper by the chamfer. It wouldn't cut you or anything, but was far from comfortable compared to titanium framelocks with better access.
gimibala

Post by gimibala »

ilikesharpstuff wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 8:55 am
Unfortunately I didn't fall in love with the knife like I hoped I would and it will be on it's way to a new home this afternoon.

Build quality was great, factory edge was great, blade was centered, action felt like it would break in nicely, and lockup was good. Definitely not a fault in execution, I just wasn't drawn to it enough to even give it a chance. Good knife, just not a keeper for me.

I will say a major factor for me was lockbar access. The inside of the lockbar is chamfered, but the show side scale isn't cleared for access which forces your thumb to the top of the lockbar that is made sharper by the chamfer. It wouldn't cut you or anything, but was far from comfortable compared to titanium framelocks with better access.
It might not be the best ergonomic knife on the market but I bought it as an investment. Due to the limited pieces made and sold worldwide and having the number stamped on the frame it will increase in value in the next months and years.
phaust

Post by phaust »

gimibala wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 12:13 pm
ilikesharpstuff wrote:

It might not be the best ergonomic knife on the market but I bought it as an investment. Due to the limited pieces made and sold worldwide and having the number stamped on the frame it will increase in value in the next months and years.
That's not the sure bet it used to be. Even the Bowie is mostly selling between MAP AND $50 under, so it's been a loss to everyone scalping then so far. Same goes for the REC avocados that used to sell for a premium over their original price.
motobyte

Post by motobyte »

RamZar wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:45 pm
LionSteel Myto does come with a tool which includes T6 & T8 plus a hex screw remover. T8 is for scale and pivot screws, T6 is for the removable flipper tab and the hex is to remove the clip screw. Myto comes with the tungsten carbide glass breaker screw for the clip but you can replace it with the included flat screw or put the clip on the reverse side. Once you’ve removed the flipper tab you can plug the hole with another included T6 screw. In some countries you can have a locking folder but it can only be opened with two hands.

I don’t know if these are all included in the SpyMyto package.

Mine did not come with all the accessories like the Myto did. No tool, no flipper delete plug, no glass breaker pocket clip screw :disappointed
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

phaust wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 12:33 pm
gimibala wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 12:13 pm
ilikesharpstuff wrote:

That's not the sure bet it used to be. Even the Bowie is mostly selling between MAP AND $50 under, so it's been a loss to everyone scalping then so far. Same goes for the REC avocados that used to sell for a premium over their original price.
I agree. Buying knives like these for the investment potential is rarely a good idea.

I ended up with 0742 and 1586. Both seem about the same fit and finish etc. I'm not sure I'll end up keeping both but, I like the model, so I'll definitely be keeping one
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Mon May 13, 2024 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

ilikesharpstuff wrote:

That’s my only gripe about this knife, is the lockbar access. My thumb got pretty sore after repeated opening and closings. Not enough to part with the knife. It’s been in my pocket since Saturday.
WRB

Post by WRB »

If you own a GB2, this lock feels like a silk pillow in comparison.

My initial impression of this knife is quite good. Feels very nice in hand and looks even better, too.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

WRB wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 3:35 pm

My initial impression of this knife is quite good. Feels very nice in hand and looks even better, too.
And the GB2 is like a silk pillow in comparison to the GB. Still not difficult to unlock once you figure it out.

I think the SpyMyto is very well done, especially for the price. Glad I went ahead and bought a couple

EDIT: Corrected my post
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Mon May 13, 2024 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:45 pm
WRB wrote:

And the GB is like a silk pillow in comparison to the GB2. Still not difficult to unlock once you figure it out.

I think the SpyMyto is very well done, especially for the price. Glad I went ahead and bought a couple
I think you have it backwards. The GB2 is much easier to unlock than the GB with its super beefy liner. I own both and think they're both awesome. I seem to recall GB said in an interview he didn't want to design a toy to be opened and closed repeatedly or something to that effect.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

fanglekai wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:30 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:45 pm
WRB wrote:

And the GB is like a silk pillow in comparison to the GB2. Still not difficult to unlock once you figure it out.

I think you have it backwards. The GB2 is much easier to unlock than the GB with its super beefy liner. I own both and think they're both awesome. I seem to recall GB said in an interview he didn't want to design a toy to be opened and closed repeatedly or something to that effect.
yes, I absolutely had it backwards. Thanks for the correction. I was posting while juggling a few different things at work. i should know better haha
ilikesharpstuff

Post by ilikesharpstuff »

WRB wrote:

I don't own a GB2, but I do own several knives that feel like a silk pillow in comparison with the Spymyto.

Hate that I didn't love it, because I still think "wow that's a nice knife" every time I come across a picture. Oh well, that's the way it goes. Bodacious is the next new Spyder I think I'll have to try, unless the Charisma lands first.
BaizuoBeGone

Post by BaizuoBeGone »

Where is the number on the knife? I must be blind because I dont see it anywhere. Thanks!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

BaizuoBeGone wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 10:38 am
Where is the number on the knife? I must be blind because I dont see it anywhere. Thanks!
It's on the inside of the liner at the back between the flipper tab and back spacer
Soup

Post by Soup »

Blade HQ in stock.