Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

Post by James Y »

Another Good Reason to Avoid Showboating for the Crowd (*my title*)

I've seen too many c0cky fighters who act like this in the ring, who may have gotten away with it for some time, eventually get caught and destroyed. Anyone can get caught. But it makes you look stupid if you get caught while arrogantly showing off for the crowd.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

People Couldn't Believe that this Particular Fighter Delivered Such a Knockout

I'm not all that surprised. Most people equate being fat as being unathletic and inflexible. Having once faced a somewhat flabby man in competition who had perfect Tae Kwon Do-style kicks, I figured out early on that someone can be both fat and formidable. A person does NOT need to be shredded with 6 to 8-pack abs to be athletic or flexible. In fact, muscle tone has nothing to do with flexibility. I've seen fat men and women who could easily drop into full splits; and I've seen skinny to athletic-looking young to middle-aged men with defined muscles, but who lacked flexibility, and even lacked much athletic prowess.

I've seen a fat guy easily knock out a guy who had big weight-lifter muscles in a real fight.

I am NOT saying that it's better to be overweight. It's certainly not healthier. I AM saying Don't Underestimate Anyone.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:01 pm
Another Good Reason to Avoid Showboating for the Crowd (*my title*)

I've seen too many c0cky fighters who act like this in the ring, who may have gotten away with it for some time, eventually get caught and destroyed. Anyone can get caught. But it makes you look stupid if you get caught while arrogantly showing off for the crowd.

Jim
:winking-tongue

You know and I know that when they say these fighters are 10 and 0, most of them are 35 and 5. The 10 and 0 ranking only refers to their UFC fights. Most of these men/women are maulers who have been fighting for years and in a street fight would demolish the average person. One should not get in that octagon and goof around because any one of them can close the deal in a heartbeat.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

TOTALLY DISARM AND NO LONGER CARRY

That was the thought that I had. Very serious. Yes, me first. I must be depressed, over-tired I thought. I cannot be serious, can I?

Would you ever unilaterally DISARM and never carry a weapon of any kind in public?

Are you ready to deal with whatever comes your way empty handed?

WELL WOULD YOU?
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:00 pm

That was the thought that I had. Very serious. Yes, me first. I must be depressed, over-tired I thought. I cannot be serious, can I?

Would you ever unilaterally DISARM and never carry a weapon of any kind in public?

WELL WOULD YOU?

Why would I ever want to do that?

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:23 pm
Naperville wrote:

WELL WOULD YOU?

Jim
I got 5 hours of sleep and I'm back! :winking-tongue

It may be tragic that hundreds of thousands of years of evolutionary biology hasn't changed the fundamentals of mankind. Still rough around the edges and ready to rock 24x7....no rest. Maybe it is why we live, it is the struggle, the fight.

Even if I go unarmed I know that my good nature will be taken advantage of eventually, and I am to old to give any advantage away.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:59 am
James Y wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:23 pm
Naperville wrote:

WELL WOULD YOU?

Jim
I got 5 hours of sleep and I'm back! :winking-tongue

It may be tragic that hundreds of thousands of years of evolutionary biology hasn't changed the fundamentals of mankind. Still rough around the edges and ready to rock 24x7....no rest. Maybe it is why we live, it is the struggle, the fight.

Even if I go unarmed I know that my good nature will be taken advantage of eventually, and I am to old to give any advantage away.

Even many ordinary things that are perfectly legal can be used as a weapon, if one knows how. So even when you're somewhere where you're not permitted to go "armed," you don't necessarily need to be "unarmed."

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

"I Don't Endorse Any Self-Defense Social Media Instructors!!! These are 3 Reasons Why"

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:09 pm
"I Don't Endorse Any Self-Defense Social Media Instructors!!! These are 3 Reasons Why"

Jim
He's right. I'm only 5ft-8in, and what he says is correct. Soon I hope, I'll be much lighter and most of the techniques that I relied upon will not work too.

I watch a lot of videos/tape and it is pretty rare that I see something that will work for a 64yr old somewhat short guy. I also avoid bars and places where challenges occur. I'm too old for the shenanigans.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:32 am
James Y wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:09 pm

Jim
He's right. I'm only 5ft-8in, and what he says is correct. Soon I hope, I'll be much lighter and most of the techniques that I relied upon will not work too.

I watch a lot of videos/tape and it is pretty rare that I see something that will work for a 64yr old somewhat short guy. I also avoid bars and places where challenges occur. I'm too old for the shenanigans.

Yup. A lot of the stuff people (not all, but many) who claim to be teaching self-defense on YT are teaching either specific martial arts defenses, or combat sports. Combat sports are not street SD. The vast majority of martial arts are not street SD as they are taught in a curriculum. Yes, a professional MMA fighter has a much better chance of handling himself in a real right than the average person, but for how long? How many years can their bodies (and brains) keep up the training levels and conditioning that make those skills work?

YT videos assume that EVERYBODY who needs to defend themselves are fit males between 21 and 36 years old, at least 6 feet tall with 6 or 8-pack abs, who have 24 hours in a day to spend just eating, sleeping, and training Muay Thai, boxing, wrestling, and BJJ (or whatever martial art one does). Many young people have zero concept that one day they'll have life RESPONSIBILITIES that takes away from that "all I do is train" mindset, and that their bodies and their motivation to train will change as they get older (IF they live long enough to get older).

When I was younger, I had already become aware enough to develop a core set of skills, strategies, and mindset strictly for SD, that could reasonably be applied regardless of age, assuming one remains in reasonably decent health and doesn't become a basket case. They are based on simple martial arts skills I've learned throughout the years, but simplified and strictly application-oriented (i.e., neither combat sport nor artistically-oriented). In other words, it's dirty, and there is nothing that is aesthetically pleasing about it. It's not about being a "tough guy." It's about being willing and able to be ruthless if you have no other option.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

You Can't Have Respect For This

Everything he says is 100% spot on.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I am a health nut and self defense junkie. If you cannot defend yourself because you are stiff and overweight you are not serious. You are full of bull!

I'm hoping that Ozempic helps me to lose 45 to 50lbs, and together with flexibility exercises and walking I become more nimble. Everyone isn't the same, some of us are far more flexible I understand that, and you have to be in shape, flexible and nimble to defend yourself.

DAY 2: The only thing Ozempic has done so far is to tame my hunger. At 220+ lbs, I eat all day if I can. I am trying to reverse my decline. There are days that I could be using a cane. I get hunched over similar to an old man....well am I one? I am trying to stop this asap BY ANY MEANS!

If taming my hunger is all that it does and it assists me in losing 45 to 50lbs, I suggest this to anyone looking for a way to drop weight, gain mobility and extend your life. Check into it if you are overweight or obese. There are obesity calculators for FREE all over the Internet. The best it can do is save your life. The worst it can do is cause you to drop it. Don't come at me with tails of woe from people who have died or become ill on Ozempic...I need to lose weight to live and I am desperate. Age can come at me. Being old is desirable, it beats pushing up daisies.

Get those numbers looked at(cholesterol, blood sugar, and cardio) and make sure you are here on Earth for as long as possible.

DON'T WAIT, DO IT NOW!
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:57 pm
I am a health nut and self defense junkie. If you cannot defend yourself because you are stiff and overweight you are not serious. You are full of bull!

I'm hoping that Ozempic helps me to lose 45 to 50lbs, and together with flexibility exercises and walking I become more nimble. Everyone isn't the same, some of us are far more flexible I understand that, and you have to be in shape, flexible and nimble to defend yourself.

DAY 2: The only thing Ozempic has done so far is to tame my hunger. At 220+ lbs, I eat all day if I can. I am trying to reverse my decline. There are days that I could be using a cane. I get hunched over similar to an old man....well am I one? I am trying to stop this asap BY ANY MEANS!

If taming my hunger is all that it does and it assists me in losing 45 to 50lbs, I suggest this to anyone looking for a way to drop weight, gain mobility and extend your life. Check into it if you are overweight or obese. There are obesity calculators for FREE all over the Internet. The best it can do is save your life. The worst it can do is cause you to drop it. Don't come at me with tails of woe from people who have died or become ill on Ozempic...I need to lose weight to live and I am desperate. Age can come at me. Being old is desirable, it beats pushing up daisies.

Get those numbers looked at(cholesterol, blood sugar, and cardio) and make sure you are here on Earth for as long as possible.

DON'T WAIT, DO IT NOW!

I went to the doctor’s office a couple weeks ago, and fully clothed, my weight is just below 175 lbs. I thought I might be heavier, but that’s great. I’m 5’ 9” barefoot, so I’m probably 5’ 10” in shoes. But I always go by my height BAREFOOT, because that is one’s honest height. Most guys measure their height with shoes on, and probably add on another inch or two on top of that. So weight-wise, I’m only 7 to 10 lbs heavier than I was when I used to compete back in the ‘80s and ‘90s.

I eat a healthy diet, and haven’t eaten fast food for decades. I like good food, but TBH, I don’t need to eat meals all that often. Twice a day is enough for me. And I snack on fruit, and also chopped celery and carrots. It sounds funny, but it satisfies my sweet tooth, and since I’ve started really loving it, extra weight has been dropping off without even trying. This type of diet has become a habit. At first it takes some discipline, but now it doesn’t.

I keep myself in as good a shape as I can, but obviously I do not train to the same degree that I did when younger. I used to spend a total of at least a few hours every day in training and exercising. Nowadays, I’m happy to squeeze in about 90 minutes a day (not always all at once). There was a time many years back when I got up to 190 lbs. I got into lifting weights for awhile at that time; but even then, I wasn’t actually “fat.” But I prefer to be around 165 lbs. I feel better at that weight. It looks like I’ll be back down there soon, if I’m not already. My blood pressure, blood sugar, etc., were excellent.

All that said, I also know that the body changes. I've had a hip injury for years. There are some things I cannot do anymore, like high kicking and some of the other more sport or artistic-oriented aspects of training. But that's OK. I simply adjusted my focus in training.

Some people online are too clever and think they just have to outrun an attacker. “One inch of shoe rubber beats 5 inches of blade for SD.” Good luck, if you are 70 or 80 years-old and think you can outrun some lean 21 year-old kid who plays basketball, and probably other sports as well. Or a gang of guys like that. Or if you’re some businessman wearing a suit and dress shoes.

As far as my potential lifespan, TBH, while I am into SD and keeping healthy, I’m not worried about reaching 100 or anything like that. I’ll take quality of life over quantity. I’m not afraid of transitioning whenever that time comes for me. But that’s just me.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:33 pm
Naperville wrote:

DON'T WAIT, DO IT NOW!

I went to the doctor’s office a couple weeks ago, and fully clothed, my weight is just below 175 lbs. I thought I might be heavier, but that’s great. I’m 5’ 9” barefoot, so I’m probably 5’ 10” in shoes. But I always go by my height BAREFOOT, because that is one’s honest height. Most guys measure their height with shoes on, and probably add on another inch or two on top of that. So weight-wise, I’m only 7 to 10 lbs heavier than I was when I used to compete back in the ‘80s and ‘90s.

I eat a healthy diet, and haven’t eaten fast food for decades. I like good food, but TBH, I don’t need to eat meals all that often. Twice a day is enough for me. And I snack on fruit, and also chopped celery and carrots. It sounds funny, but it satisfies my sweet tooth, and since I’ve started really loving it, extra weight has been dropping off without even trying. This type of diet has become a habit. At first it takes some discipline, but now it doesn’t.

I keep myself in as good a shape as I can, but obviously I do not train to the same degree that I did when younger. I used to spend a total of at least a few hours every day in training and exercising. Nowadays, I’m happy to squeeze in about 90 minutes a day (not always all at once). There was a time many years back when I got up to 190 lbs. I got into lifting weights for awhile at that time; but even then, I wasn’t actually “fat.” But I prefer to be around 165 lbs. I feel better at that weight. It looks like I’ll be back down there soon, if I’m not already. My blood pressure, blood sugar, etc., were excellent.

All that said, I also know that the body changes. I've had a hip injury for years. There are some things I cannot do anymore, like high kicking and some of the other more sport or artistic-oriented aspects of training. But that's OK. I simply adjusted my focus in training.

Some people online are too clever and think they just have to outrun an attacker. “One inch of shoe rubber beats 5 inches of blade for SD.” Good luck, if you are 70 or 80 years-old and think you can outrun some lean 21 year-old kid who plays basketball, and probably other sports as well. Or a gang of guys like that. Or if you’re some businessman wearing a suit and dress shoes.

As far as my potential lifespan, TBH, while I am into SD and keeping healthy, I’m not worried about reaching 100 or anything like that. I’ll take quality of life over quantity. I’m not afraid of transitioning whenever that time comes for me. But that’s just me.

Jim
It sounds like you're in good shape Jim. I posted my comment for our fellow couch potatoes. I'm trying to get them to act in their best interest.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:47 pm
James Y wrote:
Naperville wrote:

DON'T WAIT, DO IT NOW!

Jim
It sounds like you're in good shape Jim. I posted my comment for our fellow couch potatoes. I'm trying to get them to act in their best interest.

I would say I'm in decent shape. Especially compared to back when I was a training junkie. I still have a 6-pack, but it's hidden under a little bit of flab, even though I'm approaching my ideal weight again. I look pretty good in a shirt, though...

😄

One of my former training partners was about 5' 6", and he told me over the phone that he had ballooned up to 240 pounds, and it wasn't muscle weight. He had been at a lighter weight than I was, back when I was between 160 to 165 lbs.

Over the years, I noticed that many martial artists become pear-shaped, or even obese, when they hit middle age and old age. A few notable exceptions include Bill Wallace, Chuck Norris, and Benny Urquidez. Of course, both Wallace and Urquidez are still active professional martial arts teachers; but I've seen a ton (no pun intended) of obese professional martial arts instructors.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Real Martial Arts Talk: Does Aikido Work on the Club Doors?

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:53 pm
Naperville wrote:
James Y wrote:
Naperville wrote:

DON'T WAIT, DO IT NOW!

Jim

I would say I'm in decent shape. Especially compared to back when I was a training junkie. I still have a 6-pack, but it's hidden under a little bit of flab, even though I'm approaching my ideal weight again. I look pretty good in a shirt, though...

😄

One of my former training partners was about 5' 6", and he told me over the phone that he had ballooned up to 240 pounds, and it wasn't muscle weight. He had been at a lighter weight than I was, back when I was between 160 to 165 lbs.

Over the years, I noticed that many martial artists become pear-shaped, or even obese, when they hit middle age and old age. A few notable exceptions include Bill Wallace, Chuck Norris, and Benny Urquidez. Of course, both Wallace and Urquidez are still active professional martial arts teachers; but I've seen a ton (no pun intended) of obese professional martial arts instructors.

Jim
I can see a 4-Pack. If I want to see a 6-Pack I have to open the refrigerator! :winking-tongue

Just joking. I only drink 1 to 2 times a year and right now this house is dry. Drinking will not help me when I am cutting calories. I'll celebrate when I hit 170lbs!
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:40 pm
James Y wrote:
Naperville wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

😄

Jim
I can see a 4-Pack. If I want to see a 6-Pack I have to open the refrigerator! :winking-tongue

Just joking. I only drink 1 to 2 times a year and right now this house is dry. Drinking will not help me when I am cutting calories. I'll celebrate when I hit 170lbs!

You will reach your goal, I'm sure of it.

I'm very careful about the using the word "old" when referring to myself. I'm turning 61 in a few days, and I don't consider myself old, but I know that I am old(er). Most people have a subconscious association between the words "old" and "feeble." IMO, this creates a situation in which every time we think of, or refer to ourselves as "old," we are subconsciously creating the conditions in our reality that reflect our beliefs. This might sound "woo-woo" to many or most people, but I don't care. There's a lot of examples I know of that support it.

Of course, when you're in your 20s, you think EVERYONE who's past their 20s is old. Being 50 is considered ancient. Then when you're 60, you think 50 is young.

To anyone who considers turning 40 as really old, I give you this caveat: It's gonna come and go so fast your head will spin. Then you'll be the one pointing your finger at the young "whippersnappers" and snarling through clenched teeth, "Get off my lawn!" in a Clint Eastwood voice. Not referring to you, Naperville, but a collective "You."

😅

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:59 am
Naperville wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:40 pm
James Y wrote:
Naperville wrote:

😄

Jim

You will reach your goal, I'm sure of it.

I'm very careful about the using the word "old" when referring to myself. I'm turning 61 in a few days, and I don't consider myself old, but I know that I am old(er). Most people have a subconscious association between the words "old" and "feeble." IMO, this creates a situation in which every time we think of, or refer to ourselves as "old," we are subconsciously creating the conditions in our reality that reflect our beliefs. This might sound "woo-woo" to many or most people, but I don't care. There's a lot of examples I know of that support it.

Of course, when you're in your 20s, you think EVERYONE who's past their 20s is old. Being 50 is considered ancient. Then when you're 60, you think 50 is young.

To anyone who considers turning 40 as really old, I give you this caveat: It's gonna come and go so fast your head will spin. Then you'll be the one pointing your finger at the young "whippersnappers" and snarling through clenched teeth, "Get off my lawn!" in a Clint Eastwood voice. Not referring to you, Naperville, but a collective "You."

😅

Jim
Well, don't stand there Jim. Get off my lawn!!! You're the young whipper-snapper in this conversation!

:squinting-tongue

I agree with everything you said 100%!

To say that I will hit 170 is an understatement. Ozempic is weird. I realized this morning that on the small mg starter shot that I will be taking for the first month that my appetite is almost completely gone. What popped into my head is that one may eat for pleasure, because they are hungry, or because they have been eating for X+ years and eating is just something that everyone is expected to do 2 to 3 times a day.....SO GET EATING! As I am trying to lose weight my dilemma is, what is the amount that I should be eating not to collapse!!!

I am not light headed and there are no signs at the moment that I need or want anything to eat.

It is 2:30PM here and I've only had a cup of tea and I am not hungry at all. I'll be giving myself the maximum strength shots in ~30 days. I assume my appetite will be non existent at that point and I'll be force feeding to avoid death. I ate food and drank a can of pop yesterday and afterward realized I was not hungry and it was something that I did (consume food/beverage) because I always do it!

I've heard that some people had to stop taking this drug because they could not stop losing weight! For me that would be if I dropped below 160lbs.

I am thinking also that soon I will have to be exercising to lose the loose skin and tighten everything up.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Fast knockouts

I REALLY like the third one. The spear elbow to the face/head. The spear elbow is devastating in-close, whether to the body or to the head, and is something that is practical for actual self-defense (with lots of practice and training, of course).

Jim