H1 Fixed blades

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JoviAl

H1 Fixed blades

Post by JoviAl »

I’ve been absolutely blown away by how excellent the Jumpmaster 2 SE is at work, so I’ve started looking to see if I can find a larger H1/H2 fixed blade for use in place of my machetes and parang that I hack really thick but soft materials up with (think huge banana palm stems, etc). I can’t find anything like that with a Google search, but I wondered if any of you good folk might know of any large H1 fixed blades (6 inch sharpened edge or larger) that have ever been made by Spyderco?
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
yablanowitz

Re: H1 Fixed blades

Post by yablanowitz »

JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:06 pm
Ed Shempp Rock Salt. https://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php/FB ... Ed_Schempp
Thanks Yab 🙏🏻 much appreciated!

Now to try and find one for sale somewhere 🤔
- Al

Dream knives -
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Good luck. There are a couple on eBay right now if you don't mind spending $700.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:19 pm
Good luck. There are a couple on eBay right now if you don't mind spending $700.
Yeah, I just saw that 🤯 I can get a custom fixed blade in magnacut for less.
- Al

Dream knives -
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

One day I want to buy an Aqua Salt. Something always comes along that I need more, so I still haven't gotten one. One day.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Al,

I've always said that the Jumpmaster 2 would be an ideal model to have in the "bug-out-bag", along with a Golden stone.

I wouldn't mind an Ed Schempp serrated Rock Salt. Perhaps Shawn's new design of "sal's sword" would be even better in a serrated H2?

sal
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:00 am
One day I want to buy an Aqua Salt. Something always comes along that I need more, so I still haven't gotten one. One day.
If I ever come across one in our neck of the woods I’ll let you know 👍🏻
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

sal wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:41 pm
Hi Al,

I've always said that the Jumpmaster 2 would be an ideal model to have in the "bug-out-bag", along with a Golden stone.

I wouldn't mind an Ed Schempp serrated Rock Salt. Perhaps Shawn's new design of "sal's sword" would be even better in a serrated H2?

sal
I think you’re bang on the money there Sal - the Jumpmaster is an incredibly versatile and robust tool. If I could choose only one knife it would be it. Incidentally I’ve been running a Forest School Leader L3 (business operator) training course starting today and literally every single trainee was covetously eyeing it by the end of the day 😂

As for a H2 Serrated Rock Salt - if you make it I’ll buy ten just on principle alone. That would be an incredible tool, especially for folk working outdoors who use their own kit. H1/2 is such an underrated steel, especially in SE (is that becoming clichéd to say by now?).
- Al

Dream knives -
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

That would just be something awesome to see, a 6+ inch fixed H-2 SE fixed blade. Talk about a hard use knife.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

sal wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:41 pm

Perhaps Shawn's new design of "sal's sword" would be even better in a serrated H2?

sal
I was so fried from being outdoors in the heat all day that I didn’t even process this earlier. I wouldn’t presume to know if it is better than an amazing custom by Shaun, but by whatever deity you pray to - I’d love one of those!
- Al

Dream knives -
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

JoviAl wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:43 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thanks. It will be expensive.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:52 am
JoviAl wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
I always quite fancied the Fish Hunter too, but I can’t find one of those anywhere these days (that will ship to SG anyways).

I’ve yet to try H1 in PE so it would be cool to try an Aqua Salt in PE as well as SE. I know people bash PE H1, but if I remember rightly Vivi had some excellent experiences with it at low edge angles and a coarse finish.
- Al

Dream knives -
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

JoviAl wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:59 am
Doc Dan wrote:
JoviAl wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
I always quite fancied the Fish Hunter too, but I can’t find one of those anywhere these days (that will ship to SG anyways).

I’ve yet to try H1 in PE so it would be cool to try an Aqua Salt in PE as well as SE. I know people bash PE H1, but if I remember rightly Vivi had some excellent experiences with it at low edge angles and a coarse finish.
PE just doesn't hold an edge long enough for any hard work, even using coarse grit (which does make it better). It is okay for light tasks. The SE holds up much better for some inexplicable reason.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:18 pm
JoviAl wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
JoviAl wrote:

PE just doesn't hold an edge long enough for any hard work, even using coarse grit (which does make it better). It is okay for light tasks. The SE holds up much better for some inexplicable reason.
From what I gather it is the grinding process that work hardens the steel. I’ve secured a PE one from a collector in Japan that I’m going to experiment sharpening with my Foredom diamond bits to make it SE.
- Al

Dream knives -
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

Doc Dan wrote:
JoviAl wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
I just got a nice one on eBay. The thing feels and looks slick. I think I’m going to give to my bro-in-law for a dive knife.

JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

jmj3esq wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:33 am
Doc Dan wrote:
JoviAl wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
I just got a nice one on eBay. The thing feels and looks slick. I think I’m going to give to my bro-in-law for a dive knife.

Very nice 👌🏻 I hadn’t thought to check eBay. I’m going to go take a look for an SE one. That is a great gift for your bro in law 👍🏻
- Al

Dream knives -
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

JoviAl wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:57 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:18 pm
JoviAl wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

I don't think it works that way. I think the work hardening is in the manufacturing, at least I remember it being that way. Sharpening doesn't do it...though I have read some that say it will after a long time. I think it is a case that the teeth get a little rounded and therefore cut better. Those little teeth act like so many small knives and they really cut.

From what I gather it is the grinding process that work hardens the steel. I’ve secured a PE one from a collector in Japan that I’m going to experiment sharpening with my Foredom diamond bits to make it SE.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I wish I hadn't missed the Schempp Rock Salt. I would love to have one in my collection. I have no doubt that it would make an excellent outdoor tool.

As for a serrated version, I wonder if the scallops would weaken a large chopping knife. I say that because Youtuber "Joe X" destruction tested numerous combat survival knives with partially serrated edges, and they commonly snapped at the serrations.

I have mixed feelings about destruction testing, and I have no doubt that multiple factors contributed to the breakage. But his tests, along with others like them, remind me that large choppers/survival knives behave differently due to their increased weight, leverage and stress. What works for a 4-inch belt knife might not work for a large chopper.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:43 am

I don't think it works that way. I think the work hardening is in the manufacturing, at least I remember it being that way. Sharpening doesn't do it...though I have read some that say it will after a long time. I think it is a case that the teeth get a little rounded and therefore cut better. Those little teeth act like so many small knives and they really cut.
I’m familiar with work hardening from working with steel during welding applications (where you have to take measures not to over harden and crack your surrounding area from repeated grinding, hammering, bending and heating cycles), but I admit I’m unsure as to how grinding teeth into H1/2 might work harden it from factory. I can only speculate what the exact process of grinding teeth at the factory looks like (or if they are laser/hydro/sonic cut), but I’m going to have a stab at spooling my Foredom up to about 30,000 rpm and getting some serious heat built up at the grinding area, letting the new proto-serration cool, and then repeating until I have the full serration scallop cut (then doing the next one). That might be enough to stress the atomic structure and allow it to plastically deform into a work hardened state.

I find it amusingly ironic that I’m going to try and do something which I normally have to take such pains to avoid 😂

🤞🏻 I don’t wreck the knife.
- Al

Dream knives -