Dying Black G10 Scales to Make Them Blacker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HolySteel

Dying Black G10 Scales to Make Them Blacker

Post by HolySteel »

Has anyone tried adding more black to black G10 scales to make them even blacker? I have some 'Black 3.0' paint that I know can be used to dye clothing - I was thinking about using it to dye a pair of PM2 black G10 scales.
Sonorum

Re: Dying Black G10 Scales to Make Them Blacker

Post by Sonorum »

How black is black enough?
/ David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Is your knife maybe a little dried out? Sometimes G10 can get a chalky appearance to it that you can get rid of with a little oil or even hand lotion. Maybe try that before you dye it and see if that doesn't get what you want. If you still feel you need to dye it afterwards, make sure you scrub them with dish soap and a nail brush to clean off all the oils before you dye them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Evil D wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 1:55 am
Is your knife maybe a little dried out? Sometimes G10 can get a chalky appearance to it that you can get rid of with a little oil or even hand lotion. Maybe try that before you dye it and see if that doesn't get what you want. If you still feel you need to dye it afterwards, make sure you scrub them with dish soap and a nail brush to clean off all the oils before you dye them.
This is a great tip. On some of the older G10 handles in my collection, I'll add a little WD40 to get rid of the chalky appearance and the colors (including black) 'pop' again.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Beard oil works too, just pick a scent you like.
- Richard
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Just remember a little oil goes a long way ! 😉 MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

If you do it, please post many pictures!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Thanks all. That's a good tip regarding the oil - I have done that with '3 in one' and also mineral oil, and both work really well. These are the only 'non shiny' black G10 scales I have, so I thought they were at their best - not really chalky or dry-looking. But I will try the oil on them.

My non-reflective black paint is the stuff created by Stuart Semple. I did a painting using it, and the results were close to startling.

Edited to add: I used the silicone WD40 on the scales and nothing really changed, so they were already in their intended state.
But I found a guinea pig for my 'super black' experiment - a Rat 2 scale will be dyed in a little while, leaving one alone, for comparison. Results later today.
Stas

Post by Stas »

Ballistol.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Ballistol is great stuff, I use it for gun maintenance and as knife pivot lube. Just a warning though, some people cannot abide by the smell! In small quantities it seems to dissipate quickly, but just be aware it may have an unpleasant odor.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
petz462

Post by petz462 »

I love the smell of Ballistol in the morning, it smells like Victory!!
Dave
USAF Retired
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

petz462 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 12:48 pm
:grin-sweat :hand-over-mouth
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

petz462 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 12:48 pm
I also like the smell of Ballistol - reminds me of cleaning revolvers.

I tried dying a Rat 2 scale in BLK 3 and it did nothing.
I used silicon WD40 on my black PM2 scales and the edges got lighter ',:-|
I used Mineral Oil on the black PM2 scales and they now look fantastic.

My project is almost complete - just waiting for Mr. Postman to bring me my clip.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Low_rez

Post by Low_rez »

How did they turn out?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Low_rez:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

WD40, 3-IN-ONE, and some other products are at least slightly toxic. While it probably won't hurt you in isolation, why lean into the punch? Most of us have enough toxic exposure in our lives. Just get some pure non-toxic mineral oil from the pharmacy. (You know, the kind you can take as a laxative.) A single bottle is very cheap and can last for many years if only used on knives. I lean the bottle and dip a Q-tip for application.

For dry G-10, first make sure the surface is clean. (This also includes G-10 that is dried out or "white" after cleaning with concentrated alcohol.) Dab a few spots with the Q-tip and then vigorously rub it into the scales with a clean cloth or cotton ball. I prefer a cotton ball because generating a little heat from friction helps it to absorb. It shouldn't take long to get the hang of it. If too much is applied and the surface feels tacky, wiping it with a little vodka on a cloth will often take it down just enough.

You can apply it the same way as a protectant for liners or blade surfaces. Just dab it and rub it to a fine coat with a clean cloth or cotton ball. While you can use this oil on the action, I prefer a thinner oil for moving parts. So I'll generally leave contact spots and their immediate proximity dry during this step. Something like the non-toxic Lubriplate FMO-350-AW (also sold as Lubriplate Gun Oil) is excellent on knife actions.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Hoppes #9 or Bust! :cowboy
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 2:26 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 1:55 am
This is a great tip. On some of the older G10 handles in my collection, I'll add a little WD40 to get rid of the chalky appearance and the colors (including black) 'pop' again.

Common occurrence when you’ve stored a knife with G-10 scales for years. You look at them after many years and wonder how dust got in there even though it’s wrapped in nylon. It’s not dust or dirt or sand but the drying effect and more visible with darker colors of G-10.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln