Spyderco Manix 2 FRCP Handles

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sortie71

Spyderco Manix 2 FRCP Handles

Post by Sortie71 »

I apologize upfront if this question has been posted in the past, but I was unable to find what I needed when performing a search.

On the Manix 2 with Maxamet and grey FRCP handles, they appear to be riveted on. In the event I would like to remove these handles and replace them with titanium handles, how do I get the hardware to replace the rives with screws?

Also, what is the best method for removing the rivets? Lastly, is it risky to do so?
Michael Janich

Re: Spyderco Manix 2 FRCP Handles

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Sortie71:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Our riveted knives are not designed to be disassembled.

Stay safe,

Mike
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

There have been people who have disassembled manix 2 LWs, but it a it's a tricky process that involves drilling out the rivets and replacing them with screws. It's entirely possible to damage your knife in the process and it would not be covered by warranty. (Slips with the drill or overheating the frcp scales would be the easiest ways to screw up).

Because the scales are not designed to be removed on the lightweight, any aftermarket scales you are looking at are probably designed for the g10 manix which is screwed together. The g10 model has a different internal setup with full liners, so an aftermarket scale designed for the g10 model would not work with a lightweight, even if you drill out the rivets on the LW.

If you want a maxamet manix with aftermarket scales, you'll probably have to do a blade swap from a LW into a G10 manix and they change the scales. I'm not sure how well manix blade swaps work, but I'm sure you can find info if you look.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

To expand on what Notsurewhy said, even the titanium scales made by Rockscale Design (that eliminate the need for the steel liners) wont work because the steel part that functions as the blade stop and keeps the cbbl in place is shaped differently on the LW.

I have a Maxamet blade in RSD titanium scales, so it can be done, but I had to use that steel part from a G10/s30v model.

Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sortie71 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:06 am
I apologize upfront if this question has been posted in the past, but I was unable to find what I needed when performing a search.

Welcome to the forum!

Here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88053 is a great post by Rusty Iron about how he disassembled his (of course pinned together) Manix LW, pics included.

Also it has been announced the Manix 2 LW will change to screw construction in the future.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
CraigStar88

Post by CraigStar88 »

Does the FRCP have skiff bearings.
:bug-red-white

CraigStar: I have owned and used 1 of every USA
Made knife Spyderco. And 90% foreign. :winking-tongue
CraigStar88

Post by CraigStar88 »

Giygas wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:10 am
To expand on what Notsurewhy said, even the titanium scales made by Rockscale Design (that eliminate the need for the steel liners) wont work because the steel part that functions as the blade stop and keeps the cbbl in place is shaped differently on the LW.

I have a Maxamet blade in RSD titanium scales, so it can be done, but I had to use that steel part from a G10/s30v model.

I did the same. I used a factory second cage lock and was able to re-use all the hardware from the FRCP. I do like the LW. just not so much the all the white or yellow. So this solution is perfect.

CraigStar88

Post by CraigStar88 »

😂