Forum Update/Maintenance & Move - PLEASE READ

This area is for information on how the forum works and for posting issues/requests. This is NOT to discuss Spyderco products, service, or Spyderco.com, etc. Please review the stickied threads PRIOR to posting a new thread!
Steveng

Re: Forum Update/Maintenance & Move - PLEASE READ

Post by Steveng »

Buddafucco wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:56 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:37 pm
@TazKristi
holokai wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:24 pm
GP has them in stock as of this post timestamp:

https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-catch ... 7psgr.html

Hope that helps anyone looking for one
I swear this post wasn't there the first time I looked at this thread. I saw the post before it and two after it. Then when I checked back. It was there.

From the catcherman thread.

Holokai's first post was moderated, so it didn't show up until it was approved by a mod. :bug-red
Makes sense. He has only been a member for 10 years.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

@Buddafucco that makes sense
Steveng wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:20 pm

Wow, 10 years and 1 post. Talk about being a lurker :winking-tongue
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
holokai

Post by holokai »

I’ve apparently been lurking this forum for a decade and have never actually posted anything…
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

holokai wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:40 am
I’ve apparently been lurking this forum for a decade and have never actually posted anything…
Well, welcome to the forum, holokai! We don't bite, promise. We hope you enjoy your time with us whether you post or not.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Steveng wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:20 pm
It's not about the time someone has been a member. If it were, we'd be overrun with spam - they'd just wait it out. ;)
Steveng

Post by Steveng »

If someone starts spamming after years of membership, it was not likely a spammer "waiting you out". The account was compromised. I see it all the time. MFA is a tool used to (help) avoid this.
benja-man

Post by benja-man »

I believe what @TazKristi means is that it would be easy for bots to register and keep quiet for x years to circumvent purely time based verification processes.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

holokai wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:40 am
I'd say welcome to the forum, but you've been here longer than me!

Welcome to the conversation! Hope you keep posting.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm still not getting email notications, but like Wartstein, I don't really need to.
Steveng

Post by Steveng »

benja-man wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:18 am
I believe what @TazKristi means is that it would be easy for bots to register and keep quiet for x years to circumvent purely time based verification processes.
I know. Not saying it can't happen, but in my experience it has been hijacked accounts that are at fault.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

cabfrank wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:56 am
I'm still not getting email notications, but like Wartstein, I don't really need to.
Only time I care is when I'm watching for knife drops. But I got my Catcherman, I can calm down :')

cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

There will be another though. 🤔
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Performance of the forum on mobile is awful. I’m using Chrome on my iPhone, and there’s like a 10s delay (sometimes longer) for anything I click on that navigates to a different forum page; however, links to external sites open immediately which is why I’m thinking it isn’t a connectivity issue on my end. Page loading on forum pages [only] is excruciatingly slow as well on mobile. FWIW I used the forum on my laptop earlier this afternoon, and I didn’t experience any problems. In fact, as I’m typing this from my mobile device, I see that any input whatsoever to the forum appears to potentially be affected by the lag. Keystrokes are lagging too by several seconds on occasion, and when adding more than one new line to the text entry box (at the end), when it’s full, it doesn’t adjust the focus onto the cursor’s new position (the text box won’t automatically scroll down to show the cursor position on the additional new line). The same behavior occurs when entering new lines in the middle of a block of text once you ‘press return’ enough times that the cursor moves past the bottom of the text box. However, once you enter any other character while the cursor is ’off screen’ for lack of a better word the window focus inside the text box instantly shifts to the new cursor position - just not when pressing return.

This was all done on my iPhone using the Chrome browser. I’m not knowledgeable about web design or anything like that, so maybe some of my observations are incorrect. I’m just comparing performance of the forum now, as I perceive it, to what I would ordinarily expect from using the old forum under the same conditions.
--Jeremy
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

Since the font size has been adjusted back to a default larger after the inital shrinkage, it would be nice to be able to manually not only zoom in via editing the board preferences but to zoom out, too.

Right now there's too much scrolling involved and I have to zoom out using my brower's zoom function every time I visit the forum.

I still dream of websites optimized for mobile phones AND desktops that actually give you choices and do not restrict me to use only 50% of my desktop's screen... :eye-roll
notorious fidgeteer
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

kerrcobra wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:24 pm
Performance of the forum on mobile is awful. I’m using Chrome on my iPhone, and there’s like a 10s delay (sometimes longer) for anything I click on that navigates to a different forum page; however, links to external sites open immediately which is why I’m thinking it isn’t a connectivity issue on my end. Page loading on forum pages [only] is excruciatingly slow as well on mobile. FWIW I used the forum on my laptop earlier this afternoon, and I didn’t experience any problems. In fact, as I’m typing this from my mobile device, I see that any input whatsoever to the forum appears to potentially be affected by the lag. Keystrokes are lagging too by several seconds on occasion, and when adding more than one new line to the text entry box (at the end), when it’s full, it doesn’t adjust the focus onto the cursor’s new position (the text box won’t automatically scroll down to show the cursor position on the additional new line). The same behavior occurs when entering new lines in the middle of a block of text once you ‘press return’ enough times that the cursor moves past the bottom of the text box. However, once you enter any other character while the cursor is ’off screen’ for lack of a better word the window focus inside the text box instantly shifts to the new cursor position - just not when pressing return.

This was all done on my iPhone using the Chrome browser. I’m not knowledgeable about web design or anything like that, so maybe some of my observations are incorrect. I’m just comparing performance of the forum now, as I perceive it, to what I would ordinarily expect from using the old forum under the same conditions.
For me the opposide is true. Since the update the forum is much faster. Also Chrome but Android.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

You guys got me curious about forum speeds on mobile devices. I browsed on over to the form using Safari on my iPhone. The speeds were fast, equal to what I get on my desktop computer. Then I tried the Firefox browser, and the results were the same. No problems from Behind The Orange Curtain.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

kerrcobra wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:24 pm

I cannot recreate this no matter what I try. Can you please tell me what version of iPhone and Chrome you're using? What happens if you use a different browser?

Thank you for the feedback!

Kristi
Steveng

Post by Steveng »

The forum was extremely slow Wednesday. It would take quite some time to just bring up a selected thread. Went back to normal about the time OP posted, or shortly thereafter.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Still not getting email notifications on subscribed threads. It’s real useful when items are in stock.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm not either.