Hawkbill Lil Native *now with picture

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
StuntZombie

Re: Hawkbill Lil Native *now with picture

Post by StuntZombie »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:21 pm
StuntZombie wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:24 pm
Bolster wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:02 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:40 pm
There are things a Wharncliffe or a traditional blade do better. But when I look at, what is the type of cutting I do with my pocket knife 99% of the time. Hawkbills do it best.

Expand? When are hawkbills best?
This, I'm curious as well. In my experience hawkbills are one of the least versatile blade shapes, so I'm curious what kinds of tasks you run into where the hawkbill works best most of the time.
Sorry Bolster I missed your comment. To both of you I would say, like I touched on a little in my last post...

If people can understand why negative blade angles are good, they can start to appreciate hawkbills. Pierce, gather, hold, cut.

Say I have a package holding some network cables, or some thing like that. I can use a leaf shape blade, a Wharncliffe, or a hawkbill to pierce through the bag then make a 4 inch cut in it to open it. Same with cutting open the tape on a box.

All three blade shapes will do it. With the hawkbill I have the least amount of effort and most economy of motion. No need to angle my wrist for the edge to pierce, gather, hold, and cut the material. It hooks and grabs what you are cutting. When cutting into a box rather than cutting the tape on a box, it gives you more control over depth. For cutting anything bundled by tape or ziptie, the tip can be worked in and under the tie and it can be pull cut without damaging the bundle (Like wires).

I've opened thousands of packages and boxes in warehouses and stockrooms. A small hawkbill beats a boxcutter or regular shaped knife any day of the week for me.

In the warehouse where I used to work we'd get shipments of hundreds of Computers, Monitors, and cables. We'd have to cut open the boxes, cut open the packaging for all the parts, then cut the ties off of the cables. And prep the PC's for installation. We were doing whole office buildings so we didn't want to bring the boxes and trash with us. So all the opening and prepping got done in the warehouse. We were expected to work quickly. The hawkbill ladybug is what I used most often (I don't think the HBdragonfly was a thing yet).

Ah, that makes more sense. I could see that design being more useful for those kinds of tasks.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN