Street Bowie sheath dulls edge.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Raylas

Re: Street Bowie sheath dulls edge.

Post by Raylas »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:55 pm
I like the hard shell casings but the dulling of blades seems to be a theme. From now on I'll be buying leather or other/nylon. Probably nylon because moisture is an issue with leather.

It does not make sense to quibble over it. The solution for hard shell casings just has not arrived yet.
Yeeaaaah the way my luck's going I'm thinking I might have to, since nobody who works kydex will get back to me.
Rweeks1134

Post by Rweeks1134 »

I know this is a topic that’s a few years old but I was curious if Spyderco has a replacement for the factory sheath. The issue stems from the fact that the original sheath is made using glass reinforced nylon, which is a great tool making plastic, however it is slightly abrasive. I bought my street Bowie years ago and I love the design but I hate that it dulls just from riding in the sheath. It has nothing to do with how the blade is drawn from the plastic, it’s completely because the edge rides against the nylon while being carried and the edge eventually dulls. I also like the design of the sheath just not the materials
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Rweeks1134:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
vivi

Post by vivi »

Rweeks1134 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:57 pm
I know this is a topic that’s a few years old but I was curious if Spyderco has a replacement for the factory sheath. The issue stems from the fact that the original sheath is made using glass reinforced nylon, which is a great tool making plastic, however it is slightly abrasive. I bought my street Bowie years ago and I love the design but I hate that it dulls just from riding in the sheath. It has nothing to do with how the blade is drawn from the plastic, it’s completely because the edge rides against the nylon while being carried and the edge eventually dulls. I also like the design of the sheath just not the materials
I've carried my street beats and street bowie on many hikes and I've never seen them dull from simply being carried. If they did you'd be able to see flat spots in the edge.

With mine I can whack the edge into the sheath material without any damage, so I dom't see how lighter impacts from walking around could dull it.

I stand by my post from years ago. A solution has already been found. Adjust your draw. People have specific draws for knives and guns, specific grips they practice, certain stances they practice etc. I don't see why drawing a knife with a slight bit of pressure towards the spine should be viewed as particularly cumbersome. It's complete habit for me at this point with all my fixed blades.

I see people make the same complaint with ESEE, Cold Steel and other brands using synthetic sheaths. The solution is so, so simple.
:unicorn
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I second what Vivi is saying. I've never had this problem, and I also draw with slight pressure towards the spine. I also have several of Fred's custom knives, and his kydex comes tight - extremely tight; I don't get edge dulling from those either.
--Jeremy
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The Spyderco Forums are excellent...and I apologize if any of my prior responses came off harsh. I forget we are not sitting around a campfire having a beer shooting the breeze, and I read what I say many months later and wish I had taken a year of Emily Post's "Friendly Communications and Happy Forum Posts."

I grew up (14 to 27) working in construction and 2/3 of the language they use is inappropriate for any forum. 1/3 of their language was grunts. I was raised by wolves!

:squinting-tongue

:hugging-face

I like the boltoron and kydex sheaths for how they look, but I think nylon beats them all as far as not dulling a knife. The only issue that I see with a nylon sheath is mounting options.

Using the power of the community, does anyone know of a maker of custom nylon sheaths? Maybe they can make me something?
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I got rid of my Street Bowie due to the sheath dulling. A few reverse grip draws and the edge was dull.

Claiming you need to adjust your draw on a combat / emergency knife (which is what this knife is made for) is not a satisfying solution.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:15 am
The Spyderco Forums are excellent...and I apologize if any of my prior responses came off harsh. I forget we are not sitting around a campfire having a beer shooting the breeze, and I read what I say many months later and wish I had taken a year of Emily Post's "Friendly Communications and Happy Forum Posts."

I grew up (14 to 27) working in construction and 2/3 of the language they use is inappropriate for any forum. 1/3 of their language was grunts. I was raised by wolves!

I like the boltoron and kydex sheaths for how they look, but I think nylon beats them all as far as not dulling a knife. The only issue that I see with a nylon sheath is mounting options.

Using the power of the community, does anyone know of a maker of custom nylon sheaths? Maybe they can make me something?
I've never heard of custom nylon, not that I would be the one to here of it, ha ha, but I was always under the impression that it is injection molded and therefore only effective if you have large scale production in mind? That was my assumption anyway, but now that I'm thinking about it is more of a question to anyone who might know.

I want to get some leather working tools and make myself some sheaths from leather. For me it is probably the best sheath material in general, but leather isn't the best for storing carbon blades in for long periods, which is most of my fixed blades, so that is the one thing that kinda bugs for me.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 pm
Naperville wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:15 am

I've never heard of custom nylon, not that I would be the one to here of it, ha ha, but I was always under the impression that it is injection molded and therefore only effective if you have large scale production in mind? That was my assumption anyway, but now that I'm thinking about it is more of a question to anyone who might know.

I want to get some leather working tools and make myself some sheaths from leather. For me it is probably the best sheath material in general, but leather isn't the best for storing carbon blades in for long periods, which is most of my fixed blades, so that is the one thing that kinda bugs for me.

NOPE, not the hard sheaths, these are soft to the touch nylon sheaths and should not dull a knife. I do not even want a plastic liner in the nylon sheath. They generally are not as pretty to look at as a hard plastic/kydex/nylon sheath but I'd wear them under an untucked shirt, horizontally on my belt line.

TAKE A LOOK!!!

Off brand knife, but sheath is good enough.

Marbles example

SOG example
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

Dear Spyderco, just make good kydex for it. No excusess. It's not rocket science. Other companies already managed to provide their fixed blades with kydex sheath so good, you don't need aftermarket sheath. I had to order kydex for my Street Bowie and Street Beat. It's expensive to buy Spyderco these days and if you need to replace bad manufacture sheath, I'll pass and buy fixed blade from other companies. Or just make at least leather one. Manufacture sheath is plastic waste for me.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:22 pm
NOPE, not the hard sheaths, these are soft to the touch nylon sheaths and should not dull a knife. I do not even want a plastic liner in the nylon sheath. They generally are not as pretty to look at as a hard plastic/kydex/nylon sheath but I'd wear them under an untucked shirt, horizontally on my belt line.

TAKE A LOOK!!!

Marbles example

SOG example
Looking at that SOG one, it says "Hard Moulded Interior," so I am not sure what that means is on the inside exactly. It seems like there would have to be something hard inside that type of sheath though or else couldn't you just cut right through it? I don't suppose you can get any sort of retention out of this style either, so a handle strap would always be a necessity, and the handle designed to stop against it.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:41 pm
Naperville wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:22 pm

TAKE A LOOK!!!

Marbles example

SOG example
Looking at that SOG one, it says "Hard Moulded Interior," so I am not sure what that means is on the inside exactly. It seems like there would have to be something hard inside that type of sheath though or else couldn't you just cut right through it? I don't suppose you can get any sort of retention out of this style either, so a handle strap would always be a necessity, and the handle designed to stop against it.
The hard plastic sleeve can usually be removed.