How do you close your Manix 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: How do you close your Manix 2?

Post by Donut »

Maybe your pivot is too loose for your method.

I like it when I hold the knife flat and I release the lock, the blade doesn't fall much or any past half closed. That way, the direction I hold it can determine how far from my palm the edge gets.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I recently cut my palm closing my Manix 2, in the manner described by kingtaj. I still like to mindlessly open and close my Manix's, but now I'm super conscious about how the butt of the knife is placed in my hand. The blade was so sharp that I barely felt it bite!
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Bumping this thread again because I have the same problem with the manix clipping my palm when it swings shut. I try to be mindful of the location of the butt of the handle but sometimes it catches me. I had the same problem with Axis style locks also.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

ManixFan wrote:
Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:13 pm
I've got a bunch of Manix knives. Closing all varieties of them is very easy. Just a quick pinch, pull back and shake down into the closed position.....same as with an axis lock except more pinching force required to overcome the CBBL spring vs an axis lock spring.
I’m with ManixFan: Pinch, pull, shake, and pocket. ;)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Pinch, pull, swipe spine against thigh, pocket.

For all the jimping the Manix has, it could use some at the back of the handle where it contacts the palm, so it doesn't slip when closing one-handed.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RugerNurse wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:58 pm
Bumping this thread again because I have the same problem with the manix clipping my palm when it swings shut. I try to be mindful of the location of the butt of the handle but sometimes it catches me. I had the same problem with Axis style locks also.

Just us another closing method perhaps? ;)

Since someone asked me about that, I once made 6 short clips of 6 different methods of closing a Manix one handed, I just copy and paste those here (from this thread viewtopic.php?p=1459252#p1459252). They are all as easy and quick as the "swing shut" way of closing, if one considers the time from "knife in hand for cutting" to "knife closed and ready to be put in pocket".

1.Drop onto the index finger 2. drop onto the middle finger 3. reverse Spydieflick 4. guide to closed 5. tap to closed 6. "regular" :)

1.)

2.)

3.)

4.)

5.)

6.)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Maybe I’m just not coordinated enough haha. The compression lock was the first non back lock I tried and it made so much much sense to me I didn’t use axis style locks. I like the manix blade shape and handle but the lock hangs me up. The idea of only letting it fall halfway then closing it with a finger or leg is good. I’ll have to try that.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

I noticed watching the YouTube shorts from Spyderco’s channel that their compression locks/CBBL don’t swing shut. They all fall halfway and then are closed. Maybe that was more of the original design?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RugerNurse wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:13 am
Maybe I’m just not coordinated enough haha. The compression lock was the first non back lock I tried and it made so much much sense to me I didn’t use axis style locks. I like the manix blade shape and handle but the lock hangs me up. The idea of only letting it fall halfway then closing it with a finger or leg is good. I’ll have to try that.
Just a matter of using the knife imo, this is "practice" enough... ;)

I came up with all of the six closing methods shown in the vid (and actually more) naturally while just using the Manix, and all are easy when one has the hang of ´em.

But, sure, the comp.lock probably requires less finger strength!
On the flip side with a comp.lock a knife is more likely to open in pocket than with a CBBL (which has a stronger closing bias), also the CBBL makes for better ergos (no cutout in the handle), and better access and usability especially with gloves or cold, wet hands and is totaly ambidextrous.

Both locktypes are really strong as far as I know, actually both much stronger than one could probably ever need.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RugerNurse wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:18 am
I noticed watching the YouTube shorts from Spyderco’s channel that their compression locks/CBBL don’t swing shut. They all fall halfway and then are closed. Maybe that was more of the original design?

Especially with the Manix LW from what I know and experienced there is a lot of variation concerning the action.
Some want that "drop shutty" thing and would consider what you describe as "bad action" and a "flaw".
My current REX 45 LW happens to be pretty "drop shutty", but I also had Manixes who where not.
Either way perfectly fine for me. Perhaps I even prefer an a bit stiffer action.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:20 am
RugerNurse wrote:

I came up with all of the six closing methods shown in the vid (and actually more) naturally while just using the Manix, and all are easy when one has the hang of ´em.

On the flip side with a comp.lock a knife is more likely to open in pocket than with a CBBL (which has a stronger closing bias), also the CBBL makes for better ergos (no cutout in the handle), and better access and usability especially with gloves or cold, wet hands and is totaly ambidextrous.

Both locktypes are really strong as far as I know, actually both much stronger than one could probably ever need.
That my one concern with the comp lock, opening in the pocket. My paramilitary never has but I’m cautious. Maybe I’ll give the Manix another go, it’s a great design. Would be a great outdoor knife
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RugerNurse wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:31 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:20 am
RugerNurse wrote:

That my one concern with the comp lock, opening in the pocket. My paramilitary never has but I’m cautious. Maybe I’ll give the Manix another go, it’s a great design. Would be a great outdoor knife

Yes, practice a bit with your Manix! Will help I am sure! :smiling-cheeks

... I also never had a comp.lock actually come open in my pocket (but BM axxis locks..).
I did not carry too many comp.lock Spydies though so far.
I figure the comp.lock is safe enough in pocket, but if one wants to play it even safer: The CBBL sure is the better choice
vivi

Post by vivi »

RugerNurse wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:58 pm
I always wonder what the big mystery is every time this post comes up.

Been doing it the same way since Spyderco released their first CBBL, and never gave it a second thought.

https://dubz.link/c/77dcfc
:unicorn