Upping the price.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jabba359

Re: Upping the price.

Post by jabba359 »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:42 pm
To those of you who do not want to pay for Spyderco products, I say depart and do not return. Either trust those managing the creation of Spyderco products or find another manufacturer that pleases you.

Spyderco the corporation, the First Family of Spyderco, it's employees and fans do not need you to tear at the fabric of this company.

Sal has had enough. I am sure that I am not alone in thinking this thread has run it's course.

Please close the thread.
Not everything is black and white, either pro Spyderco or anti Spyderco. Most of the concerns in this thread are about pricing increases relative to inflation and competitors. I don't think anybody is here to tear Spyderco down, but to explain how they feel about the price increases and look for the reasoning behind those. Gatekeeping the fandom to only those that don't ask questions about hard topics isn't the solution. Open dialogue is, which is primarily what we've seen in this thread.

And I don't think you should presume to speak for Sal if he's had enough. If he's had enough, he's more than capable of saying so himself.

Personally, I've been concerned about the escalating prices (I still only own Spyderco knives, even with these concerns) and I'm glad we've been able to have this debate here. Sal has brought up a lot of good points I hadn't considered and it provides insight we can learn from. At the same time, it's also shown Sal what some part of his customers are concerned about and their perspectives. If you've had enough of the topic, it's easy enough for you to scroll by and not click on this thread.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I think that Sal and many others have already spelled out most of the justifications for prices at the levels they are at as well as how capitalism works. Is anyone giving any thought to what is being posted? Has anyone read all of the posts and thought about what they are posting before they hit that "submit" button?

Spyderco is a corporation operating in many countries, I think that is the definition of a multinational corporation. I do not presume to speak for anyone at Spyderco. I am just sitting here reading this and very few of the posters have any idea of what it takes to manage a simple business let alone a multinational corporation. There are many hundreds of reasons why things cost what they cost and the overly simplistic arguments here do not make things any clearer.

If you do not think this is a polite way of ending the conversation then I cannot help you:
sal wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:13 pm
I guess we could lower our prices; We could pay our crew less, take away their benefits, drop CQI, eliminate the Mule team project, stop supporting our Troops, Law enforcement, First Responders, our community. Stop printing catalogs, use cheaper materials and reduce our tolerances. Eliminate bonus's, Make all of our products in China, blow off our Research & Development, Stop experimenting with special steels, Drop the Forums, change our name to "No longer Spyderco"........................................................For what?

sal
I'm grateful Spyderco is here and that I can own a few of their knives. I am not rich, I am poor. I see the quality of the products and the way the company is being run, and I like it. If you are like me and you like Spyderco then when you have the income and need to justify another Spyderco then order one up.

VOTE WITH YOUR DOLLARS!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I read through this thread and came out feeling I would continue to support Spyderco and "invest in an American company" whenever I decide to purchase any more pocket knives. Respect to Sal ... he says a lot with few words, speaks from the heart and his convictions, demonstrates patience and curiosity with differing viewpoints, and was just very effective in his engagement with this potentially difficult thread.
Erich

Post by Erich »

Naperville wrote:
To those of you who do not want to pay for Spyderco products, I say depart and do not return. Either trust those managing the creation of Spyderco products or find another manufacturer that pleases you.

Spyderco the corporation, the First Family of Spyderco, it's employees and fans do not need you to tear at the fabric of this company.

Sal has had enough. I am sure that I am not alone in thinking this thread has run it's course.

Please close the thread.
I gladly pay at 50% off msrp.

Thanks.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I'm not an expert in business at all (yet), but I am currently in a year-long mastermind program to help me learn, practice, and gain the necessary knowledge and skills to launch a successful online business, and there is A LOT that goes into it. Almost overwhelming at times ( at least for me at times, and for several others in the program as well). I couldn't even imagine running a multinational business like Spyderco, which is many, many, many times bigger, and involves so many different moving parts.

I'm willing to bet that the inevitable yearly price rises are NOT something that Sal and crew anticipate with glee.

Jim
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Erich wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:30 pm
Naperville wrote:

Please close the thread.
I gladly pay at 50% off msrp.

Thanks.

Ditto! Outside of OpFocus (I figure no pun was intended) one has to wait for the potential MAP holiday sales to get 45%+ off MSRP like the good old no MAP days before 2016.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

The upgrade in my forum viewing experience on my iPhone is worthy of a small uptick in pricing 😂
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

Another example of the price differential. I’m thinking of getting a watch pocket folder with a wharncliffe blade. The main choices seem to be the Lil Native, Baby Banter or Mini Pyrite. I like the Lil Native (I think I have 2), and I’m sure the wharnie will be a great blade, but it’s literally 3-4x the price of the other two, unless you get the de luxe version of the Mini Pyrite (s90v, titanium & fat carbon inlays), which is around the same price.

I’m willing to pay a premium for Spydercos over well-made Chinese knives, but I find myself unable to pull the trigger on regular pricing these days.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Brummie wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:43 am
Another example of the price differential. I’m thinking of getting a watch pocket folder with a wharncliffe blade. The main choices seem to be the Lil Native, Baby Banter or Mini Pyrite. I like the Lil Native (I think I have 2), and I’m sure the wharnie will be a great blade, but it’s literally 3-4x the price of the other two, unless you get the de luxe version of the Mini Pyrite (s90v, titanium & fat carbon inlays), which is around the same price.

I’m willing to pay a premium for Spydercos over well-made Chinese knives, but I find myself unable to pull the trigger on regular pricing these days.
Get yourself a Manbug Wharnie for that watch pocket and spend well UNDER $100.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Brummie wrote:

Try a Dragonfly2 Wharncliffe with a
2.28" blade of VG-10 & Black FRN for $78.75. Weighs just 1.2 ounces.

Attachments
image.jpeg
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

RamZar wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:45 am
Try a Dragonfly2 Wharncliffe with a
2.28" blade of VG-10 & Black FRN for $78.75. Weighs just 1.2 ounces.
The Dragonfly is already something special and that Wharncliffe blade takes it to the next level. My only complaint is that it's "only VG-10". I put that part in quotes because in reality, VG-10 is adequate for my EDC needs. Of course, that doesn't meant I don't want better stainless and I did recently upgrade to S30V for my regular Dragonfly needs.

While my earlier complaints about some things being strangely overpriced stand, here is a case where I'd gladly pay extra for a Wharncliffe Dragonfly in premium stainless. Heck, if someone said to me right now that I could have a Wharncliffe Dragonfly in SP27, S45VN, or MagnaCut for $150; I'd jump at the opportunity.

Of course, I might not be indicative of the market. I might also be crazy. For instance, I did just buy a $98 scale set for my $98 Dragonfly in S30V...

:winking-tongue
sal

Post by sal »

I carried a Warnie Manbug for quite a while. Very useful size. Now, I'm carrying a serrated leaf Manbug. Wouldn't be without it.

sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I carry a ManBug H-1 Salt Sheepsfoot SpyderEdge on my keychain. Very handy! It’s like a mini rescue knife and for opening packages in a bind.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:14 pm
I carried a Warnie Manbug for quite a while. Very useful size. Now, I'm carrying a serrated leaf Manbug. Wouldn't be without it.

sal

Sal, may I ask:

Any specific reasons why you switched from wharnie to leaf shape with the serrated one? (As far as I know the wharnie Manbug can be had with teeth too, actually I am considering getting that exact version myself).

I personally have come to the conclusion that for a secondary, small, watch pocket knife (in my case a Manbug would never be carried as my main folder, but in addition to a large folder with some belly) the wharnie shape would be more useful to me (for the lower tip, more convenient piercing of packages and the like and "full power" over the whole cut in that short edge as Mike Janich descrines so well in his wharncliff - vid),
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RamZar wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:26 pm
I carry a ManBug H-1 Salt Sheepsfoot SpyderEdge on my keychain. Very handy! It’s like a mini rescue knife and for opening packages in a bind.

Don´t mean to turn this thread into a Manbug - discussion, but also not start a new one just for my two quick questions (I´d really appreciate a short reply)

- How well does the rather blunt sheepsfoot tip still pierce? (So if one used the H1 sheepsfoot Manbug a lot for tasks like package opening, would you recommending modding the tip into "more acute"?)
- How does it work out for you that the serrations go all the way to the tip?
Love SE, but never had that, but always the usual more or less short PE - section towards the tip.
Would you find just that also be more useful with the sheepsfoot Manbug or not?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Brummie wrote:

I hope for you (and generally!) that despite wharnies appearantly did not work out as well as hoped for Spyderco the Lil Native lightweight (with its also thinner blade!) and also the FRN Chaparral will eventually get their wharnie variants.

Both cheaper than the G10 Lil Native, both lighter, and both imo with more reasonable blade stock thickness.

So just to me "better knives for less money", that small size really lends itself towards wharnie shape imo and the Chap still has a good "shortness" for the watch pocket plus the added benefit of being really thin and offering a lot of edge (Chap closed length 3.6", edge 2.35", Lil Native closed length 3.47" (but thicker and heavier!), edge 2.02")
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:34 pm
RamZar wrote:

Don´t mean to turn this thread into a Manbug - discussion, but also not start a new one just for my two quick questions (I´d really appreciate a short reply)

- How well does the rather blunt sheepsfoot tip still pierce? (So if one used the H1 sheepsfoot Manbug a lot for tasks like package opening, would you recommending modding the tip into "more acute"?)
Love SE, but never had that, but always the usual more or less short PE - section towards the tip.
The ManBug H-1 Salt Sheepsfoot SpyderEdge Yellow FRN works well to open boxes and packages. The tip digs in and you just tear through. It’s not in the same league as my real package opener which is the Salt2 LC200N Wharncliffe SpyderEdge Green FRN which has about a quarter inch of plain edge at the tip. That one demolishes hard plastic as well. I’ve often asked for a ManBug like my Salt2.

Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:58 am
Wartstein wrote:
RamZar wrote:

The ManBug H-1 Salt Sheepsfoot SpyderEdge Yellow FRN works well to open boxes and packages. The tip digs in and you just tear through. It’s not in the same league as my real package opener which is the Salt2 LC200N Wharncliffe SpyderEdge Green FRN which has about a quarter inch of plain edge at the tip. That one demolishes hard plastic as well. I’ve often asked for a ManBug like my Salt2.

Thanks, really appreciate your reply! :clinking-mugs

So you want the rustproof H1 (H2) and the hollow sabre grind in a Manbug wharnie?

Cause otherwise the VG10 Manbug wharnie SE would kind of give you what you´re asking for, right?

(Brings me to one of MY wishes to Spyderco: An H1 / H2 Dfly SE with a wharnie blade.
What appears to be great on the H1/H2 Dfly: The as it looks to be higher hollow sabre grind than on other H1/H2 models)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:16 am
RamZar wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:58 am
Wartstein wrote:
RamZar wrote:

Thanks, really appreciate your reply! :clinking-mugs

So you want the rustproof H1 (H2) and the hollow sabre grind in a Manbug wharnie?

Cause otherwise the VG10 Manbug wharnie SE would kind of give you what you´re asking for, right?

(Brings me to one of MY wishes to Spyderco: An H1 / H2 Dfly SE with a wharnie blade.
What appears to be great on the H1/H2 Dfly: The as it looks to be higher hollow sabre grind than on other H1/H2 models)
I’d like a ManBug Salt LC200N Wharncliffe SpyderEdge FFG like the Salt2 LC200N Wharncliffe SpyderEdge Green FRN. Kind of like the VG-10 but in a Salt steel.

Attachments
image.jpeg
sal

Post by sal »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:29 pm
sal wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:14 pm

sal

Sal, may I ask:

Any specific reasons why you switched from wharnie to leaf shape with the serrated one? (As far as I know the wharnie Manbug can be had with teeth too, actually I am considering getting that exact version myself).

I personally have come to the conclusion that for a secondary, small, watch pocket knife (in my case a Manbug would never be carried as my main folder, but in addition to a large folder with some belly) the wharnie shape would be more useful to me (for the lower tip, more convenient piercing of packages and the like and "full power" over the whole cut in that short edge as Mike Janich descrines so well in his wharncliff - vid),

Hi Warstein,

I find the ""Leaf" to be a bit more effective for general use. I use the belly on my serrated Leaf Manbug to start cuts when opening packaging. Less depth to the cut than using the point of a Warnie.

sal