Salt color differences

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Salty2013

Salt color differences

Post by Salty2013 »

Just curious, my Salts all come from authorized spyderco dealers so I’m not overly concerned about any of them not being genuine but I noticed my Native 5 SE in Magnacut is a slightly more orangey yellow color. Was there a change in color for the FRN scales on that model?

Also I was thinking of picking up one of the green salt warncliff models (LC200N) and saw that the back lock was coated black whereas all of my other back lock salts (old H1 SE pacific, H1 SE Tasman, H2 SE Dragonfly and natives in LC200N and Magnacut) are uncoated in that area. Any known reason why that particular model is different?
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Re: Salt color differences

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Salty2013 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:23 pm
Just curious, my Salts all come from authorized spyderco dealers so I’m not overly concerned about any of them not being genuine but I noticed my Native 5 SE in Magnacut is a slightly more orangey yellow color. Was there a change in color for the FRN scales on that model?

Also I was thinking of picking up one of the green salt warncliff models (LC200N) and saw that the back lock was coated black whereas all of my other back lock salts (old H1 SE pacific, H1 SE Tasman, H2 SE Dragonfly and natives in LC200N and Magnacut) are uncoated in that area. Any known reason why that particular model is different?
Hi Salty2013, the salts made in Golden, Colorado are FRCP and have a little different shade of yellow than the FRN made in Seki City…afa the the LC200N salts and black coating I’m not so sure but anything that helps combat corrosion is a good thing plus it looks good 👊
Salty2013

Post by Salty2013 »

That makes sense then if it’s not the same material (and Colorado vs. Seki City), thanks for the insight!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:37 pm
Salty2013 wrote:

Hi Salty2013, the salts made in Golden, Colorado are FRCP and have a little different shade of yellow than the FRN made in Seki City…afa the the LC200N salts and black coating I’m not so sure but anything that helps combat corrosion is a good thing plus it looks good 👊
I believe only the Manix2 is FRCP. My Native5 Salt and the Native Chief and Para Salts are FRN, if the product descriptions are correct.

I suspect the Manix2 went FRCP because the model already had a mold for earlier FRCP Manix2s.

Is the Manix2 Salt’s yellow actually different from that of the other Golden Salts?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Salty2013,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

The coated lock bar is a running CQI, probably.
Salty2013

Post by Salty2013 »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:33 pm
Hi Salty2013,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you!
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

It's hard to see from the photo, but the yellow on the Manix 2 is just a wee bit lighter than on the Native 5. Though this may just be because FRN and FRCP absorb dye differently, which is most apparent if you compare the Spy27 Manix 2 and Native 5 LW handles. It could also just be variance between different manufacturing batches.

Seki yellow is the lightest of them all.
salt yellow comparison.jpg
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:26 pm
Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:37 pm
Salty2013 wrote:
I believe only the Manix2 is FRCP. My Native5 Salt and the Native Chief and Para Salts are FRN, if the product descriptions are correct.

I suspect the Manix2 went FRCP because the model already had a mold for earlier FRCP Manix2s.

Is the Manix2 Salt’s yellow actually different from that of the other Golden Salts?
It's only the Manix LW indeed that comes in FRCP, as far as I know one main reason for developing this material was that it can be made translucent,but not so FRN.

The Native-, Para 3 - and Chief Salt have FRN handles.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Hah.. learning something new every once in a while.
I had somehow come to the understanding that all Golden LWs were FRCP.

Anyhow, I also had similar concerns as you when I got my Native salt. The yellow color was noticeably different than the Seki salts I already owned. It is also my impression that the material feels different - Seki FRN (to me) feels more dense and a little softer while Golden FRN feels a bit more like lego; lighter and harder. Someone on another forum told me this was down to the difference between FRN (Seki) and FRCP (Golden), so I guess that’s where my misunderstanding originates.
The difference is minute, and what little subjective difference I experience could have more to do with construction and surface structure than the material itself.. but nevertheless it feels different.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:22 am

Anyhow, I also had similar concerns as you when I got my Native salt. The yellow color was noticeably different than the Seki salts I already owned. It is also my impression that the material feels different - Seki FRN (to me) feels more dense and a little softer while Golden FRN feels a bit more like lego; lighter and harder. Someone on another forum told me this was down to the difference between FRN (Seki) and FRCP (Golden), so I guess that’s where my misunderstanding originates.
The difference is minute, and what little subjective difference I experience could have more to do with construction and surface structure than the material itself.. but nevertheless it feels different.
I am sure that the Manix 2 LW is the only FRCP Spydie so far.

That said: I totally agree on the different feel between Seki and Golden FRN... The former a bit more "rubbery" the latter a tad more "plasticy" and "brittle"...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

aicolainen wrote:

Exactly what I thought 👆 and here’s an interesting photo of two different looking shades of yellow on my Native magnacut models (the newer one I changed out for orange AWT scales and the other one was purchased when they first came out…it appears to be the same shade as my original Native in LC200N which I gifted away when the magnacut one was introduced (definitely darker) 🤔

Salty2013

Post by Salty2013 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:03 am
aicolainen wrote:

I am sure that the Manix 2 LW is the only FRCP Spydie so far.

That said: I totally agree on the different feel between Seki and Golden FRN... The former a bit more "rubbery" the latter a tad more "plasticy" and "brittle"...
Now you have me curious, one of my preferred dealers just sent the back in stock email (perfect timing) so I’ve ordered a Manix 2 LW Salt. I’ll be interested to compare the feel/texture of the scales.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:46 am
aicolainen wrote:

Exactly what I thought 👆 and here’s an interesting photo of two different looking shades of yellow on my Native magnacut models (the newer one I changed out for orange AWT scales and the other one was purchased when they first came out…it appears to be the same shade as my original Native in LC200N which I gifted away when the magnacut one was introduced (definitely darker) 🤔

Interesting.. seems to be a deliberate move toward a brighter hue of yellow. I like that.
My LC200N Native is my only Golden LW atm, but there’s a Manix salt and a UKPK salt in my not too distant future. Just need for them to show up at European dealers.
benja-man

Post by benja-man »

aicolainen wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:26 am
My LC200N Native is my only Golden LW atm, but there’s a Manix salt and a UKPK salt in my not too distant future. Just need for them to show up at European dealers.
Green LC200N UKPK appears to be in stock at the major European dealers...
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

benja-man wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:03 pm
aicolainen wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:26 am
Green LC200N UKPK appears to be in stock at the major European dealers...
thanks for the heads up. I think I’ve seen the green one in stock, but to be honest I haven’t checked for knives in stock for a while. My sock drawer is quite crowded atm, so there’s no urgency. Either way I’m saving my money and what little space there is left in my sock drawer for the yellow magnacut. I like the yellow, and I still don’t have any folders in MC.