SALT Liners

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RAHComanche

SALT Liners

Post by RAHComanche »

As I look admiring at my most recent Salt knife addition, I got curious about the liners. Much is said about the blade material, e.g, Magnacut, LC200N, but less is said about the liners. Except "fearless corrosion resistant" and "marine-grade". Since S90V and many others are considered stainless, why not mention the liner material?

For Salt owners that use their knives heavy duty, do you worry about the liners or do any extra care on the liners?
JoviAl

Re: SALT Liners

Post by JoviAl »

RAHComanche wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:26 am
As I look admiring at my most recent Salt knife addition, I got curious about the liners. Much is said about the blade material, e.g, Magnacut, LC200N, but less is said about the liners. Except "fearless corrosion resistant" and "marine-grade". Since S90V and many others are considered stainless, why not mention the liner material?

For Salt owners that use their knives heavy duty, do you worry about the liners or do any extra care on the liners?
I use the snot out of my Caribbean and apart from flushing it out and wiping it clean with rubbing alcohol I don’t do any of my normal anti-corrosion routine. I work outdoors in the tropics and use my knives for arboriculture and horticulture, so they really get a beating. The Salt knives inspire nothing but absolute confidence in all of their parts in my experience 👍🏻
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

I may or may not have a couple Salts and work em’ to the bone, really don’t do anything special maintenance-wise…if they get super dirty I just toss them into warm water and blue Dawn, let them soak a few minutes then use a toothbrush to scrub a little and set out to dry…doesn’t matter if they have liners or not 👊
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

How has the new salt PM2 held up? Would be so weird to get it all wet. I try to avoid it with my regular one haha
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I recall Sal saying that, its blade aside, any Salt using metals (for screws, locks, clips, and even liners) is using metals that are super corrosion-resistant. He’s also said that he prefers not to disclose what these metals are.

That galvanic reaction is such a rare thing in Spyderco’s Salts (mostly a matter of accidental contamination), Sal’s reluctance to betray what amounts to a trade-secret to would-be Salt-competitors should be no cause for concern, but for confidence instead.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

If you read the most recent issue of the byte, we answer this question:

Due to the complexities of galvanic corrosion, all the other metal parts of Spyderco’s Salt Series knives—including springs, lock bars, backspacers, screws, ball bearings, clips, etc.—must be very carefully chosen. Every part must not only possess the necessary qualities to perform its individual function; it must also be completely compatible with the metal parts around it. To achieve this perfect compatibility, Spyderco invests hundreds of hours of research, development, and testing into every Salt Series folding knife. Understandably, that is also why we do not share the exact details of the other materials and processes used in our Salt knives.

While we understand our customers' desire to know everything about their knives, we also work very hard to maintain a competitive position in the industry. Disclosing information that could empower our competition is not a wise business practice.

Thank you for your understanding.

Stay safe,

Mike
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Makes perfect sense.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

RugerNurse wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:07 am
How has the new salt PM2 held up? Would be so weird to get it all wet. I try to avoid it with my regular one haha
Hi Ruger - just seeing this, it’s an incredible knife with “Golden” detent and such a great design…I haven’t really been too rough with it yet, but when you get one don’t be afraid to get it wet 👊
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Trade secrets offer better protection than patents in many cases. Think Zildjian cymbals, Coca-Cola formula, Falcon 9 rockets. We want Spyderco to reap the rewards for their profound efforts at research and development. They are true innovators in a world crowded with copycats.
James Y

Post by James Y »

There are *very few* new knives anymore that I would actually like to purchase someday in the future. I say "someday," because if I ever do purchase another knife, it won't be anytime soon. The PM2 Salt is on top of that short list; IF the spot on the handle where the clip presses down isn't a pocket shredder. The other one I would like would be a Military 2 Salt, if one is ever produced(?).

I don't feel any need to know Spyderco's trade secrets for their Salt knives. The fact that they do so much R&D and CQI is plenty for me.

Jim
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:35 pm
Think Zildjian cymbals
To this day, I’ve yet to find a better “all around” ride than the 20” k custom…regardless of genre, it just WORKS.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
RAHComanche

Post by RAHComanche »

The peel ply is pretty rough on the jeans pocket IMO. Curious as to what other think.
James Y wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:33 am
There are *very few* new knives anymore that I would actually like to purchase someday in the future. I say "someday," because if I ever do purchase another knife, it won't be anytime soon. The PM2 Salt is on top of that short list; IF the spot on the handle where the clip presses down isn't a pocket shredder. The other one I would like would be a Military 2 Salt, if one is ever produced(?).

I don't feel any need to know Spyderco's trade secrets for their Salt knives. The fact that they do so much R&D and CQI is plenty for me.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

RAHComanche wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:18 am
The peel ply is pretty rough on the jeans pocket IMO. Curious as to what other think.
James Y wrote:

Jim

Thanks for the feedback. Well, it looks like I may have to cross the PM2 Salt off my future wants; my short list just got shorter.

I would hope that the Military 2 Salt would have normally-textured G10 scales, just like the standard models. Or at least design the scale pattern to have a flat spot (or spots) for the clip contact point, regardless if the user chooses to position it for tip up or tip down carry. I'm a nobody who knows nothing about making knives, but this is one thing I would like for Spyderco to really consider when designing scales or scale patterns for new models, or new versions of established models.

Jim
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

James Y wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:50 pm
RAHComanche wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Thanks for the feedback. Well, it looks like I may have to cross the PM2 Salt off my future wants; my short list just got shorter.

I would hope that the Military 2 Salt would have normally-textured G10 scales, just like the standard models. Or at least design the scale pattern to have a flat spot (or spots) for the clip contact point, regardless if the user chooses to position it for tip up or tip down carry. I'm a nobody who knows nothing about making knives, but this is one thing I would like for Spyderco to really consider when designing scales or scale patterns for new models, or new versions of established models.

Jim
Don’t cross it off quite yet! :grin-smiling-eyes Only the all black PM2 Salt has a peel ply texture. The satin/yellow PM2 Salt does not have the peel ply texture.
-Nick :bug-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:38 pm
James Y wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:50 pm
RAHComanche wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim
Don’t cross it off quite yet! :grin-smiling-eyes Only the all black PM2 Salt has a peel ply texture. The satin/yellow PM2 Salt does not have the peel ply texture.

Nick,

From the closeup pic of the yellow striped PM2 Salt's handle scale, the texture pattern alone still looks like it'll be a pocket eater. I might be wrong about that, but there appears to be no flat spot on the G10 for the clip to press against. Kind of a bummer for me, because a PM2 Salt has been a dream knife to me for quite awhile now, but oh, well.

Anyway, I'm straying too far off the subject of this thread...

Jim
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

JoviAl wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:36 am
RAHComanche wrote:

I use the snot out of my Caribbean and apart from flushing it out and wiping it clean with rubbing alcohol I don’t do any of my normal anti-corrosion routine. I work outdoors in the tropics and use my knives for arboriculture and horticulture, so they really get a beating. The Salt knives inspire nothing but absolute confidence in all of their parts in my experience 👍🏻
How often do you need to sharpen your salt knives?
Stay sharp!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

James Y wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:17 pm
Kind of a bummer for me, because a PM2 Salt has been a dream knife to me for quite awhile now, but oh, well.
Hey Jim, don't let those scales detour you from your dream knife. There are so many great aftermarket scales that are fantastic. Even just in plain G10. Micarta of course. And AWT has a single liner delete aluminum scales that have excellent contouring. None of which should remove the salt worthiness of this knife.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:54 am
JoviAl wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:36 am
RAHComanche wrote:

How often do you need to sharpen your salt knives?
Depends - for SE H1/H2 or LC200N I sharpen at lunch and the end of the day on my Sharpmaker or Galley V. It’s about ~500 cuts before it starts to slide rather than cut. I can spin Magnacut out a fair bit longer, maybe a full day or even two if the stuff I’m cutting is clean, but I like it wicked sharp so I usually sharpen it on the KME at the end of each day.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
James Y

Post by James Y »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:07 am
James Y wrote:
Kind of a bummer for me, because a PM2 Salt has been a dream knife to me for quite awhile now, but oh, well.
Hey Jim, don't let those scales detour you from your dream knife. There are so many great aftermarket scales that are fantastic. Even just in plain G10. Micarta of course. And AWT has a single liner delete aluminum scales that have excellent contouring. None of which should remove the salt worthiness of this knife.

Thanks, Jeff.

Yes, you are right. I just wish that the original factory scales had a pocket-friendly texture at the clip contact spot. That might be something to be considered in designing handle texture patterns for future models.

Jim
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

James Y wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:21 pm
JSumm wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:07 am
James Y wrote:

Thanks, Jeff.

Yes, you are right. I just wish that the original factory scales had a pocket-friendly texture at the clip contact spot. That might be something to be considered in designing handle texture patterns for future models.

Jim
Agreed, Spyderco usually nails that part of the design. Why it is so hard to switch the standard clip on FRN models. The clip feels great in hand and perfectly hits the smooth spot.

I recently picked up a Protech Malibu. The textured aluminum has phenomenal texture for grip, but they thought ahead and built in a smooth pad for the clip. Reminded me of Spyderco's FRN models.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005