Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2024 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aicolainen

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2024 Report

Post by aicolainen »

Hoping to snag one of those too.

Spyderco seems to be doing a great job with high edge retention tool steels, and I can appreciate that effort, but I only need so much of that stuff. Thin and light however, that bucket isn’t even half full yet.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Where can I buy a Charisma! That looks like what I've been hoping for!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
araneae

Post by araneae »

The Charisma has been around for a few years, I remember Eric showing it to me at least 2 years back at Blade Show. It feels like an Opinel crossed with a Spyderco, and I was instantly interested.

While it looks cool, the RIL Tenacious seems like a knife that will miss some marks, based on 8Cr13 or D2 steel, non-deep carry clip and what I'd guess will be a over $100 price point. That is just not what the market at large wants in a RIL. Maybe I'll be wrong on price, but I don't think this will be a very competitive value knife.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

araneae wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:22 am
While it looks cool, the RIL Tenacious seems like a knife that will miss some marks, based on 8Cr13 or D2 steel, non-deep carry clip and what I'd guess will be a over $100 price point.
I don’t think the frame lock Tenacious is going to have a low end steel, there’s a whole thread about it where Sal talked about what they’re prototyping. I have it in my head that this was a Golden model but I may be misremembering (Taiwan would make more sense).
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'm also skeptical of super thin bladestock. I do like my Z-Cut for trimming chicken fat. The blade flex helps with that. I don't like it for anything else. If you make a cut straight down the blade can flex suddenly upon hitting the cutting board because you needed some force and the blade didn't impact exactly perpendicular.
Super thin blade stock will give you ultra light weight. For cutting most things it just doesn't offer a benefit. You can get the same cutting performance with a thinner (steeper) primary grind on thicker stock.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Charisma’s neutral blade-angle signals to me that it is not meant to be driven into the matter being parted. Thus, it’s not as robust as most Spydies with their negative blade-angles.

Instead, the Charisma’s super-thin blade-stock requires only the slightest downward pressure to do the parting. Thus, it should be safe from catastrophic failure. That is, so long as we don’t push the envelope of its design.

I sorta see the Charisma as Spyderco’s test of our self-discipline for having clamored for “thinner” since the Chaparral.

I look forward to seeing if I can behave myself. I’ve had a little practice with my not-quite-as-extreme Pattadese.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Mr Blonde

Video: Manix 2 Lightweight CPM-15V – Spyderco Design Production Sample 2024

Post by Mr Blonde »

Last edited by Mr Blonde on Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:01 am, edited 5 times in total.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Video: MicroJimbo CPM-15V – Spyderco Design Production Sample 2024

Post by Mr Blonde »

Last edited by Mr Blonde on Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr Blonde

Video: Para 3 Lightweight CPM-15V – Spyderco Design Production Sample 2024

Post by Mr Blonde »

Mr Blonde

Video: Para 3 CPM-15V – Spyderco Design Production Sample 2024

Post by Mr Blonde »

Last edited by Mr Blonde on Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Blonde

Video: Lil’ Native CPM-15V – Spyderco Design Production Sample 2024

Post by Mr Blonde »

Last edited by Mr Blonde on Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:34 am
araneae wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:22 am
While it looks cool, the RIL Tenacious seems like a knife that will miss some marks, based on 8Cr13 or D2 steel, non-deep carry clip and what I'd guess will be a over $100 price point.
I don’t think the frame lock Tenacious is going to have a low end steel, there’s a whole thread about it where Sal talked about what they’re prototyping. I have it in my head that this was a Golden model but I may be misremembering (Taiwan would make more sense).
What we see is what we’ll get. It’s a production sample; made in China with 8Cr13MoV.

The lightning strike anodized version will use D2 and there are also other versions of the Tenacious currently in production using S35VN and CPM-M4.
-Nick :bug-red
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:45 pm
What we see is what we’ll get. It’s a production sample; made in China with 8Cr13MoV.
Really? That’s… that’s just mind boggling. Who is buying a titanium handled knife with 8Cr?

The Ti certainly is pretty though.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The upcoming Charisma folder kind of reminds me of the Victorinox Swiss Classic Picnic knives which are liner lock folders weighing 1.5 ounces (42g). Blade steel is the German 1.4116 56 RC stainless steel (close in composition to 420HC steel), plain or fully serrated edge, blade length of 4.3" (110mm) and blade thickness of 0.07" (1.7mm). The handle is Polypropylene and comes in various colors.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:52 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:45 pm
Really? That’s… that’s just mind boggling. Who is buying a titanium handled knife with 8Cr?

The Ti certainly is pretty though.
I found it surprising too.

I agree that they do look really nice. I also noticed that these two titanium Tenacious do not share the same scales and now I’m curious why… :thinking

The plain blue scales are 4-way clip position, have chamfered corners on the scales, and flat “jimping” on the lock bar.

The lightning strike scales are tip up only, have filleted corners on the scales, and angled “jimping” on the lock bar.
-Nick :bug-red
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

For everyone worried the Charisma will immediately shatter during use, that’s thicker than 3 disposable utility razor blades. It’s not something you’d sell at Walmart next to the Gerber machetes but as an enthusiast blade it should be fine.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:27 pm
For everyone worried the Charisma will immediately shatter during use, that’s thicker than 3 disposable utility razor blades. It’s not something you’d sell at Walmart next to the Gerber machetes but as an enthusiast blade it should be fine.

I haven't read a single person who thinks this knife will shatter immediately upon use. Who is "everyone," are you referring to posts on some other forum, or just exaggerating for effect? The blade is considerably longer than a utility blade and also has a large hole in it, so the comparison isn't working for me. I understand why people (including myself, very likely, since I really like the design) would use such a blade with due caution.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

There seems to be an increase in unwarranted movements to “defeat” folders be that thin tip, thin stock, blade hole causing cracks/breaks, thumb studs causing cracks/breaks, harsh spine whacking to defeat locks and so forth. Just say no. Undoubtedly, you can defeat all folders given enough effort.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
electro-static

Re: Charisma – Spyderco Design Production Sample 2024

Post by electro-static »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:12 pm
The Spyderco Charisma was a new design that seemed to want to fly out of my lightbox. This was an impressively thin and lightweight folder. The cutting edge however, is almost as long as the edge found on a Paramilitary 2. The Charisma is thin and light enough to easily carry in a shirt pocket. I did have to practice a bit to find the opening hole, but after a few cycles, opening and closing was very easy. The 3D handle design offered a bit extra grip. Again, and I can’t stress this enough, the Charisma was impressively light and thin. Despite its diminutive dimensions, I didn’t notice any noticeable flex when handling the Charisma.

This is the last of the Spyderco Production Samples I got to shoot and share with you. I’m working on videos of these knives, but they won’t feature any new knives, just more footage…. 😉

Approximate Specifications
Overall Length: 6.73 inch / 171 mm
Blade Length: 3 inch / 76 mm
Blade Thickness: 0.04 inch / 1 mm
Steel: CTS-BD1N
Weight: 0.8 oz / 23 g
Grind: Full-flat
Handle: FRN

I have no information on pricing or release dates.
Color me intrigued. I don’t think I’ve seen a knife that thin for a long time.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Charisma could conceivably replace my apple eating and pumpkin carving pocket knives, as well as squirrel and rabbit knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050