Spyderco 50th Anniversary Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Danke

Re: Spyderco 50th Anniversary Knife?

Post by Danke »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:26 pm
Danke wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:07 am
There has not been a Ti PM2 yet.
There was a fluted Ti PM2 prototype that “escaped” the Golden factory years ago. I have pics of it on my computer at home and will post them later when I track them down. Obviously the model never made it into production but given they made at least one go of it, I’m guessing a Military 2 version is doable. A fluted Ti PM2 would be equally cool to me!
I would be totally down for more fluted Ti.

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

cjk wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:37 pm
I can think of at least 5 aftermarket scale makers who make titanium scales for the PM2, several of which make or have made fluted scales of one type or another.
I know some of them are working on Military 2 scales as well.
Not one of these makers offer what Spyderco made, which is a full Ti handle comp lock with no SS liners. Current aftermarket scales either use one or both of the SS liners from a standard PM2 (the comp lock side plus/minus the other SS liner). Spyderco would offer the “real deal”.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

aicolainen wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:55 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:51 am
This isn’t in response to anyone in particular just in general but I think some people are missing the point of a commemorative anniversary knife like this.

It’s not meant to be a heavy user - they make thousands of those knives every year.

It’s not supposed to be more of the same with a tiny little “50” hidden on it somewhere.

It’s supposed to be special and meant to be commemorative. It’s supposed to be collectible!

If you don’t consider yourself a collector, then this one probably isn’t for you.

:respect :bug-white
I'm not sure there are stated limitations as to what an anniversary item is supposed to be, but "special and commemorative" is fine by me. That's quite subjective of course, and I don't think it rules out a heavy user. Whatever that is.

I don't use all the knives I collect, but I only collect users. Whatever Spyderco decides to make to celebrate their anniversary, I hope they do something truly special. It'll be fun to see what they come up with, and if I see a use case for it I may choose to collect it.
That means more in line with a gentleman’s knife than a heavy duty utility knife. Think “One Eyed Jack” not “Manix 2 XL.”

Using the 25th Anniversary Delica as an example -
Image Photo from Wouters website - Spydercollector

Would you open dozen bags of cement with this knife? Would you skin a deer with this knife? Would you cut and score drywall with this knife? Would you clean 25 fish with this knife? Would you cut a house worth of fiberglass insulation with this knife?

Personally, I wouldn’t be doing any of those things with one of my gentleman’s knives. If anything I would only carry it on formal occasions and limit it to casual EDC use. I never meant it shouldn’t be used at all; just not as a heavy duty user. Of course anyone can do anything they want with any knife they own but that doesn’t mean they should.

I agree that if they do a 50th Anniversary model, it should be something that is truly special.
-Nick :bug-red
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:56 pm
aicolainen wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:55 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:51 am
This isn’t in response to anyone in particular just in general but I think some people are missing the point of a commemorative anniversary knife like this.

It’s not meant to be a heavy user - they make thousands of those knives every year.

It’s not supposed to be more of the same with a tiny little “50” hidden on it somewhere.

It’s supposed to be special and meant to be commemorative. It’s supposed to be collectible!

If you don’t consider yourself a collector, then this one probably isn’t for you.

:respect :bug-white
I'm not sure there are stated limitations as to what an anniversary item is supposed to be, but "special and commemorative" is fine by me. That's quite subjective of course, and I don't think it rules out a heavy user. Whatever that is.

I don't use all the knives I collect, but I only collect users. Whatever Spyderco decides to make to celebrate their anniversary, I hope they do something truly special. It'll be fun to see what they come up with, and if I see a use case for it I may choose to collect it.
That means more in line with a gentleman’s knife than a heavy duty utility knife. Think “One Eyed Jack” not “Manix 2 XL.”

Using the 25th Anniversary Delica as an example -
Image Photo from Wouters website - Spydercollector

Would you open dozen bags of cement with this knife? Would you skin a deer with this knife? Would you cut and score drywall with this knife? Would you clean 25 fish with this knife? Would you cut a house worth of fiberglass insulation with this knife?

Personally, I wouldn’t be doing any of those things with one of my gentleman’s knives. If anything I would only carry it on formal occasions and limit it to casual EDC use. I never meant it shouldn’t be used at all; just not as a heavy duty user. Of course anyone can do anything they want with any knife they own but that doesn’t mean they should.

I agree that if they do a 50th Anniversary model, it should be something that is truly special.
I agree with you but at the same time i fear if it is to “special” 2 things will happen. 1 the cost of the knife will be huge and many fans will not be able to afford it. And 2 the numbers will then also be very limited due to the difficulty of the design and or accessibility of the materials so again not many fans can get one.
So i hope somewhere that the knife will be a status quo i mean it may be a looker but not to extravagant of materials so the cost is under control and the production of a bigger amount feasible. (By the way with the cost under control i mean i hope for an msrp below 400$-500$ )
Danke

Post by Danke »

That 25th anniversary Delica is like the first season of True Detective, impossible to follow up.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

how about a triad lock leafjumper with an acid-washed k390 blade, full steel liners, engraved brass backspacer, and contoured rock-pattern burgundy canvas micarta scales?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Danke

Post by Danke »

I'd be happier if it has a match striker nail nick.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Danke wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:07 am
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:12 pm
I like where mikey177 was going with the 50th anniversary being the golden one, and Golden certainly seems like the most fitting factory to make this commemorative model. I also like what Coastal was saying with it being a newish or new model — so I’ll throw out the option for a fluted Ti Military 2 again! For those wondering whether something like that would be a nice option, I offer this picture of my own first-gen (CQI’d) version of a S90V fluted Ti Millie for consideration. Cheers, Radioactive
There has not been a Ti PM2 yet.
I have one thanks to aftermarket scales
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

If Spyderco makes a 50th Anniversary model with titanium scales for a compression lock model, people can scale swap them with whatever their favorite steel one they have. Have a laser engraved 50th anniversary on the blade perhaps to distinguish.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I don´t know, folks.

To me making an anniversary knife out of rather "fancy", expensive materials and "superclassy" "collectible"... , is just ONE approach to this. A good and understandable one of course (it is not that I would not like that idea too), but perhaps not even the most "spyderco-ish" - ?

A completely different, but imo as valid approach to such an anniversary knife would be, that Spyderco really highlights and showcases things that made them what they are, what makes them "different" and featuring typical spyderco-design-elements

- Generally knives that are meant to be USED rather than "lookers" (Sals "designing in the dark" comes to mind...)
- Lightweight, but still sturdy (so linerless FRN for example)
- Thin, slicey blade
- fingerchoil
- One of their "own" locks (so comp.lock or CBBL)
- Almost completely rustproof
- not "cheap", but affordable

See where I am coming from?
THIS approach would mean, that ESPECIALLY the anniversary knife should be - typical Spyderco - a knife meant to be really used and also affordable.

So perhaps a PM2 Salt in just a special color and a "50th anniversary" mark - or even a Para 3 Salt (not my personal favorite Spydie, but featuring a lot very spyderco-ish elements, also the great first implementation of a comp.lock in an (almost) linerless knife..) - or a Native 5 or Chief Salt...

In any case and how ever such a knife would look in the end:

- I personally of course and especially would carry and use it a lot, even if it was made out of very expensive materials and super-unique and classy!

- Imo especially a knife celebrating Spyderco SHOULD be a real user and also get that great, unique used look that actually makes a knife look special and gives it a "story an a life" !
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I think something like this is very Spyderco. Kiwi Mother of Pearl with Abalone. As beautiful as it is, it probably does very well as an EDC folder. As far as a work knife user, we currently have so many options I already have a tough time deciding what to put in the pocket. The cataloged is filled with amazing users.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Love the kiwi ^ makes for an excellent little utility style folder. Impressive ergonomics for being so thin, I still feel locked in and secure especially from those deep finger grooves. Nothing beats the old school spyderco days.. their peak of
Classy, innovative and functional
:bug-red-white
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Well Gernot, would you actually use the previous anniversary knives for anything more than light cutting tasks ?
The 25th Delica or 40th Native are really special pieces, if I were to actually use the models, it'd be something like the K390 Delica or any Native 5 that isn't this one :grin-smiling-eyes .

I can't really see the point of making a knife made to be used just like any other Spyderco designed by Sal or Eric, and there is so many of them in standard production !

Though, I get what you mean by highlighting every Spydercoesque things : opening hole, SE, clip, lock.... and I agree.

But 50 years man, that's one of the best anniversaries there could be ! This knife should sport a laser to help with aiming ! Change color when you're feeling happy, stressed, sad or scared ! Turn into a small chair to put on your desk under your favorite Gundam ! And more… :grin-smiling-eyes

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:26 am
Well Gernot, would you actually use the previous anniversary knives for anything more than light cutting tasks ?
The 25th Delica or 40th Native are really special pieces, if I were to actually use the models, it'd be something like the K390 Delica or any Native 5 that isn't this one :grin-smiling-eyes .

I can't really see the point of making a knife made to be used just like any other Spyderco designed by Sal or Eric, and there is so many of them in standard production !

Though, I get what you mean by highlighting every Spydercoesque things : opening hole, SE, clip, lock.... and I agree.

But 50 years man, that's one of the best anniversaries there could be ! This knife should sport a laser to help with aiming ! Change color when you're feeling happy, stressed, sad or scared ! Turn into a small chair to put on your desk under your favorite Gundam ! And more… :grin-smiling-eyes

Hey Robin,

Totally honest: OF COURSE I would carry and use even the most special anniversary Spydie, just as I would the 25th and 40th! Most likely even more than any other variant of the same model and definitely for any, also harder tasks!

Being so special in several ways (by its looks and its background) would make me enjoy even more using it and making it "mine" by individual, distinct scratches, dings and just signs of use.
A used knife to me always is more beautiful than a pristine, "lifeless" one.

If something is really "spyderco-ish" then it is making knives meant to be USED and to me it is not a totally irrational idea applying this also or even especially to a knife meant to celebrate 50 years of this very approach... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I wouldn't hesitate to use a Kiwi, or a Copa, or any other model dressed up with something special and unique to mark the history of this. I can remember my grandfather carrying some nice abalone in his pocket daily. I think the miss would be to take a standard production model, give it a different color G10 or FRN and stamp 50 years on it and call it a day. I don't think the model matters as much as the effort behind the celebration. Think of a Para 3 with some titanium bolsters, a bright G10 base with an exposed band transitioning into a Double Black Linen Micarta. That would be really cool and unique and maybe not something they would put in standard production.

It's Spyderco's celebration, so they need to be happy with it at the end of the day if they choose to even do a model. I do think they have to use SPY27 though right? That is a big deal in the storied history.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:46 pm
I wouldn't hesitate to use a Kiwi, or a Copa, or any other model dressed up with something special and unique to mark the history of this. I can remember my grandfather carrying some nice abalone in his pocket daily. I think the miss would be to take a standard production model, give it a different color G10 or FRN and stamp 50 years on it and call it a day. I don't think the model matters as much as the effort behind the celebration. Think of a Para 3 with some titanium bolsters, a bright G10 base with an exposed band transitioning into a Double Black Linen Micarta. That would be really cool and unique and maybe not something they would put in standard production.

It's Spyderco's celebration, so they need to be happy with it at the end of the day if they choose to even do a model. I do think they have to use SPY27 though right? That is a big deal in the storied history.

Sure, good points!!

I personally am really torn between "super-nice, super classy" and "what imo actually is a big part of Spydercos art of knife making" (to me: lightweight (linerless FRN), but still sturdy, Salt, very userfriendly, still affordable).

Would be fine with either approch... and would carry and use the heck out of an anniversary knife in any case, no matter how "classy" and expensive it is.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:51 am
I don´t know, folks.

To me making an anniversary knife out of rather "fancy", expensive materials and "superclassy" "collectible"... , is just ONE approach to this. A good and understandable one of course (it is not that I would not like that idea too), but perhaps not even the most "spyderco-ish" - ?

A completely different, but imo as valid approach to such an anniversary knife would be, that Spyderco really highlights and showcases things that made them what they are, what makes them "different" and featuring typical spyderco-design-elements

- Generally knives that are meant to be USED rather than "lookers" (Sals "designing in the dark" comes to mind...)
- Lightweight, but still sturdy (so linerless FRN for example)
- Thin, slicey blade
- fingerchoil
- One of their "own" locks (so comp.lock or CBBL)
- Almost completely rustproof
- not "cheap", but affordable

See where I am coming from?
THIS approach would mean, that ESPECIALLY the anniversary knife should be - typical Spyderco - a knife meant to be really used and also affordable.

So perhaps a PM2 Salt in just a special color and a "50th anniversary" mark - or even a Para 3 Salt (not my personal favorite Spydie, but featuring a lot very spyderco-ish elements, also the great first implementation of a comp.lock in an (almost) linerless knife..) - or a Native 5 or Chief Salt...

In any case and how ever such a knife would look in the end:

- I personally of course and especially would carry and use it a lot, even if it was made out of very expensive materials and super-unique and classy!

- Imo especially a knife celebrating Spyderco SHOULD be a real user and also get that great, unique used look that actually makes a knife look special and gives it a "story an a life" !
Honest question - why can’t you just buy a regular production knife or a sprint run and achieve all those same things?

This is a rare and very special occasion. It is one of the very few, if not the only opportunity to use such high end and exotic materials in this kind of meaningful way.

Your general desire for a dedicated user knife is not wrong. It’s just that they already have a large catalog that can serve that purpose very well. We have to wait a decade or longer before we see another opportunity for an anniversary knife again.

Of course there are no rules in place saying it has to be high end with exotic materials. I just think a 50th Anniversary is a special enough occasion to celebrate with a truly special build.
JSumm wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:46 pm

Well said and much agreed! :respect :bug-white
-Nick :bug-red
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I agree with let’s all just let spyderco do the decision handling and we can all give our very mere opinions on what they should do, what we want them to do is filtered through our preferences, yes spyderco can choose to take influence on it how they wish but ultimately they’re the creative hand. I think a new in house design or a design that already very well encapsulates the in-house spyderco design philosophy, (like Jeff greatly exampled with the kopa and kiwi) with uniquely dressed up materials makes the most sense to do.
:bug-red-white
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

I’m in for whatever… so long as it’s serrated of course. :smlling-eyes
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

A cool combo something like this would be awesome!

SE Salt and PE Non-Salt. I’m down with any steels and martials, but one material that we don’t see a lot of and that would really get me excited is side-cut carbon fiber.

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”