Cricket Lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hereiamu1

Re: Cricket Lightweight

Post by hereiamu1 »

MagnaCut or 15V ;)
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

I have an aluminum scaled that I bought in 1994…. Whatever the coating that was used was has held up fantastically. I carried it unprotected in my “non-key” pocket for many many years. The faces have no penetrating scratches just expected loss on the very edges. The black clip has also survived though it’s coating is thin in places, it too has survived well.

It has never failed to get a reaction whenever someone saw it…. The gen-1 steel has done extremely well also, still looks new.

Now for the bad… the lock is horrible…. Always has been its heavy and causes excess friction both opening and closing, with multiple detents. It is the least left hand friendly liner lock I have ever had.

That said, I would be all in, especially the slip it… this is not a stabby knife so it doesn’t require a lock.
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:26 pm
We did a run of FRN Crickets many years ago. Had problems with twist and the Linerlock. If we ever did it again, we'd have to use 2 liners or change the lock.

sal
I'm always in for a back lock on a small knife :grin-big eyes
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I'd buy a Slipit version. I picked up one of the early black FRN Crickets in like-new condition for a very good price a few years ago, but seldom carry it. It's nicely made and incredibly light but, like all small knives, hard for me to manipulate. When they're this small I rarely operate them one-handed. I just treat them like a traditional folder, so they may as well be Slipits.

A knife this small begs to be carried clipless, loose in the pocket. The clip helps in opening, but not enough to matter to my clumsy fingers.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I have been asking for a revamped Cricket LW for quite a while but I didn’t think that it would happen. Including friends and family, it would be a multiple buy knife for me if Sal were to put his magic touch to any new version that’s also SE.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Jesla wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:33 am
Now for the bad… the lock is horrible…. Always has been its heavy and causes excess friction both opening and closing, with multiple detents.
I can agree with you, because also with my copy it is an extremely stiff and scratchy linerlock. You don't read much about cricket in aluminum construction anymore, so I can't say whether this defect applies to the entire series or only affects both of us.

With the cricket lightweight, which I also have, it's exactly the other way around, a very smooth linerlock, it doesn't get any better.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
sal

Post by sal »

Well Ugaarguy,

See what you started.

Hey Peter,

We made quite a few variations while developing the concept. We kinda settled in on the current steel version which has been an odd, but fairly popular model for many years.

This thread has shown some unusual interest in the design. I'd like to take it further. Concepts include Slip-joint, Compression lock version, integral compression lock version, "Reverse S", Leaf, drop point.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:08 am
Well Ugaarguy,

See what you started.

Hey Peter,

We made quite a few variations while developing the concept. We kinda settled in on the current steel version which has been an odd, but fairly popular model for many years.

This thread has shown some unusual interest in the design. I'd like to take it further. Concepts include Slip-joint, Compression lock version, integral compression lock version, "Reverse S", Leaf, drop point.

sal

An "integral compression lock" is kind of a "frame lock" compression lock, right? (Like I think one ATR version featured - ?)

Sounds interesting...

EDIT: Did my research ;) - there was also a Salsa with an integral comp.lock. Did not know that.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:08 am
Well Ugaarguy,

See what you started.

Hey Peter,

sal
Guilty as charged ;)

Integral compression lock? You have my attention. Media blasted Ti to cut weight and give a little more grip than polished stainless would be welcome.

RE: A lightweight with a liner based comp lock. Wouldn't that present similar problems to the Walker liner lock? I watched the SHOT Show videos and I remember Eric saying that the Lil' Native lightweight was done as a back lock because as the knife gets smaller in size it's harder to overcome side locks wanting to push it apart.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ugaarguy,

I'm open to all of the possibilities and suggestions. I don't think we can make them all, at least not at once, but I'd like to get a Slipit out and a locker. Not a lot of room for locks, but I think it can be done. There are also a number of blade shapes that can be explored.

The "River Rock" concept was the basis for the original design. But I think the concept is worthy of exploration. The modified design is 1/4" longer.

sal
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I've never liked metal handled knives. They look pretty, but I find them cold, heavy and slippery. Even so, I've thought about picking up a cricket several times because the design is intriguing. That small reverse S looks like it would pack a lot of cutting power in a small package. I also like the round, river rock/worry stone look of the knife closed, but because of the shape I would want a grippier handle material.

If a new version comes in a non metallic handle I'd almost certainly buy one, though I'd prefer anything but a comp lock. I know everyone loves them, but I find them awkward to use on small knives. I'd get one anyway, but a back/liner/slipjoint would make it an instant purchase rather than adding it to the "buy eventually" list.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I think the current configuration is actually quite perfect for the concept/overall design. Yeah you could do a leaf/drop point, but why? There’s already so many other great small more standard blade shape spydercos to fit that bill imo. Imo I say let the cricket model keep the reverse s blade shape identity. New steels, handle materials, lefty versions for the liner/framelock would a little more of interest to me personally speaking,
:bug-red-white
RLR

Post by RLR »

The original UK Penknife style with linerless G10 would be amazing. You could even thin out the G10 a tad, contour a bit… :cheap-sunglasses
sal wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:07 am
Hi Ugaarguy,

I'm open to all of the possibilities and suggestions. I don't think we can make them all, at least not at once, but I'd like to get a Slipit out and a locker. Not a lot of room for locks, but I think it can be done. There are also a number of blade shapes that can be explored.

The "River Rock" concept was the basis for the original design. But I think the concept is worthy of exploration. The modified design is 1/4" longer.

sal
MrGibson

Post by MrGibson »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:07 am
Hi Ugaarguy,

sal
I think Sal wants all my money. *opens wallet* Just say when. 🤣
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

Personally I would rather have the current Cricket continue to languish, as to have the blade shape corrupted. It is unique and doesn’t deserve to be turned into just another smallish knife, of which there are literally 100s on the market….
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'd be all over a Ti integral compression lock as long as it's plain edge.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
benben

Post by benben »

This thread made me dig this old girl out! I’ve never abused a knife like I have this one! A month or so back I was at a large gun shop in Charlotte, they had a new RIL Cricket in the case, I asked the salesman if I could see it….my old liner lock Cricket here would cut that new one in half, as far as build and robustness, there’s no comparison!

Now I understand this is a small fifth pocket little knife but mine here is a little tank! And still zero blade play, stout as ever.
IMG_3542.jpeg
IMG_3541.jpeg
IMG_3540.jpeg
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

I would love to see a new Cricket!

I think you should leave the blade shape as is. To me, that's part of what makes it a Cricket. As for the handle, I agree that it needs something "grippier" than SS, maybe G-10 or FRN or...?
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Peter1960 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:58 am
Jesla wrote:
Now for the bad… the lock is horrible…. Always has been its heavy and causes excess friction both opening and closing, with multiple detents.
I can agree with you, because also with my copy it is an extremely stiff and scratchy linerlock. You don't read much about cricket in aluminum construction anymore, so I can't say whether this defect applies to the entire series or only affects both of us.

With the cricket lightweight, which I also have, it's exactly the other way around, a very smooth linerlock, it doesn't get any better.
I have 4 Crickets, an Almite GIN-1, Almite ATS-55, FRN ATS-55 and SS VG-10. My Almites are smooth operating although a little heavier than the other two.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:49 am
Peter1960 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:58 am
Jesla wrote:

I have 4 Crickets, an Almite GIN-1, Almite ATS-55, FRN ATS-55 and SS VG-10. My Almites are smooth operating although a little heavier than the other two.
My Almite Cricket is also operates smoothly.