Spyderco 50th Anniversary Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cabfrank

Re: Spyderco 50th Anniversary Knife?

Post by cabfrank »

Ric said what I was thinking. A lot of people will want one to keep pristine and one to carry and use. I hope there is a large run.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Worker re-release would be fantastic!
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
cjk

Post by cjk »

How about this for a 50th anniversary knife?

Native 5.
Fully serrated damasteel blade.
Same handle design as the cf/s90v only make the carbon fiber one of those with red in it, like fat carbon dark matter red or fat carbon lava flow.

black and red like the boxes.

Teeth, because teeth are great!

Honestly the damasteel could be replaced by something less expensive and I'd still love it.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

+1 for crucarta worker, with a 5 beside the hole in place of the bug logo
I see, said the blind man.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I apologize, but am I going to be a little disrespectful. Hearing "Native 5" kinda makes me yawn at this stage. There were sooo many of all kind of versions and they keep coming up on a regular basis. Making yet another one with just some anniversary etch would be a bit of a low profile celebration.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Ric wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:13 am
40th Anniversary
Spyderco Native 5 40th Anniversary Damascus C41CF40TH Limited Edition

I think it did not sell well.

It should be a true user. Maybe coming in a package of 2. One for using and one for the safe. Not too expensive might help.
I believe a knife commemorating their 50th anniversary should be a very special edition of one of their flagship models. Not to insinuate that it shouldn’t be able to be used but I believe it should really exhibit how special of an event it is commemorating by using some rare and exotic materials.

I think it should rival the 25th Anniversary Delica with Ed Schempp Damascus Bolsters and Stag handle scales! (If that’s even possible! :exploding-head)
Image Photo from Wouters website - Spydercollector

There are plenty of sprint runs, exclusives, and regular production knives that can “true users.” There is only one 50th anniversary.

With that said, like your idea of a two knife set. I immediately think of the Spyderco Worker Evolution Set!

Image Photo provided by The Deacon

I think a “50th Anniversary Knife Set” could be a really cool solution. Two of the same model, both commemorating the 50th anniversary - one set up to be an effective user and one set up as a collectible display piece.

The more I think of it, this is what I want - A 50th Anniversary Set! :respect :bug-white
-Nick :bug-red
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

How about a set with one PE and one SE?🤯
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:33 pm
I believe a knife commemorating their 50th anniversary should be a very special edition of one of their flagship models. Not to insinuate that it shouldn’t be able to be used but I believe it should really exhibit how special of an event it is commemorating by using some rare and exotic materials.

I think it should rival the 25th Anniversary Delica with Ed Schempp Damascus Bolsters and Stag handle scales! (If that’s even possible! :exploding-head)
Image Photo from Wouters website - Spydercollector

There are plenty of sprint runs, exclusives, and regular production knives that can “true users.” There is only one 50th anniversary.

With that said, like your idea of a two knife set. I immediately think of the Spyderco Worker Evolution Set!

Image Photo provided by The Deacon

I think a “50th Anniversary Knife Set” could be a really cool solution. Two of the same model, both commemorating the 50th anniversary - one set up to be an effective user and one set up as a collectible display piece.

The more I think of it, this is what I want - A 50th Anniversary Set! :respect :bug-white
I was not kidding about the Abalone UKPK. Something like that on a Delica would be great too. And whether buying two or buy in a set. This is one where I would love to put in my pocket from time to time to use and having a backup or collectors piece would be great. I agree, it is a once in a lifetime milestone and should be very special. Whatever Spyderco chooses.

I do like the idea of minimal markings and not a big mark on the blade. Maybe 50 Years on the backspring or something.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

A very spyderco esque design, like a compact and lightweight edc folder with a leaf shape blade, finger choil, thumb ramp etc.
I like Jeff's idea of a slip joint caly done with the kopa style bolsters and inlays.
:bug-red-white
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

The UKPK would create a larger global market I think.

I like the idea of the Worker or the Delica a lot too. Just thinking of a Golden Made Global friendly model.

Really hoping for some exotic material or some design additions that are rare in typical production.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

As much as I like the Delica - it is one of my favorite knives - I think it more appropriate to bring back the first knife Sal developed and released. While the idea of having a collector and a worker is good, people should not be forced to buy 2 knives in order to just obtain 1 if that is all they want. If you want 2, buy 2. But there should be limits so scalpers can't buy them all up. And hopefully, enough are produced to meet the demand so that they don't run out in 30 minutes either.

As to steel, I am not really a fan of Damascus. Because this is a celebration of Spyderco and Sal, I think it should be SPY27 to celebrate and honor Sal's genius then and now along with G-10 handles to put it a step above FRN which, while great, doesn't have the heft or feel of a G-10 handle.

An idea for the 50th anniversary logo would be to make the top 2 legs of the spider logo on the knife a 5 and a 0 instead of the regular legs. That would be unique and unobtrusive. The logo could be slightly increased in size if need be, but nothing too large.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

A larger knife like native chief or s2xl would be good candidates IMO. I would rather see something cool but can still be a user and is affordable (relatively speaking) with a good amount available, than some super unobtanium materials.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Maybe use AI to come up with an amalgamation average of all knife designs produced by Spyderco and make the handles from recycled seconds and returns
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Five-0 is slang for police, so how about a Police 4 model for the Spyderco 50th anniversary knife?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

cjk wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:45 pm
Five-0 is slang for police, so how about a Police 4 model for the Spyderco 50th anniversary knife?
I like the way you think! Except i'd want a SS/Ti Police :)
Native and Delica has been done already, so..
EDIT: To my knowledge the Endura hasn't been done in a Anniversary model, and it is legendary, so a candidate in my book.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

Maybe by then the new coating will be fully figured out and we could get a knife with red blade, black handle? Plus maybe by then the MagnaWear will be released (or some other new and interesting steel). First I thought the other way around, but then we just get an SNK exclusive ^^.

Or, as the 50th anniversary is gold anniversary, something with gold accents? all-gold would be a bit too much I think

As for model, definitely something from Golden. Either a completely new design or one with extensive legacy, so maybe a Military? Either a last-hurrah Millie 1 (added tip-up pocket clip holes?) or the new Military 2?
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

mikey177 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:29 am
Spyderco's 50th founding anniversary is only two years away, in 2026…

This is a fun conversation, thanks for bringing it up. I have no idea if two years is enough time to get this hypothetical knife ready for market, but maybe it just might happen.

As for some sort of graphic denoting 50 years, I’d like to see something small-ish and placed “off to the side”. I think a bread truck would be cool, but not so sure that could be done in a small fashion.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

I think SteelCity has a good idea. Put a small engraving on the ricasso where the "H" is on the Heinie Haynes UKPK. That way the blade remains clean.
- Richard
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

You're welcome, p_atrick. I earnestly hope that this mystery knife will be available by 2026.

Maybe they could put the bread truck on the packaging.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

The most iconic Spyderco deserves to be the chosen one ; the mighty SS SE Police - C07S. Tuffram scales and SPY27 combo would be nice. That being said I wouldn't mind a Worker as long as it's in spyderedge.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red