The ultimate grail… work knife.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JoviAl

Re: The ultimate grail… work knife.

Post by JoviAl »

sal wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:19 am
Hey Al,

You gonna draw one or should I have our guy Peter put a drawing together?

sal
Hi Sal,

I can definitely put a concept drawing together, I just need to tear down one of my Manix XL’s tonight to see the orientation and space the standard CBBL takes up.

What is the best way to send you the images once I’m done?
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JoviAl wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:45 am
sal wrote:
Hey Al,

sal
Hi Sal,

I can definitely put a concept drawing together, I just need to tear down one of my Manix XL’s tonight to see the orientation and space the standard CBBL takes up.

Another CBBL model besides Manix 2 and XL would be amazing... and if inspired by one who obviously really uses his knives a lot even more so! :grin-big eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Al,

Contact Peter Jhones at Spyderco. He's the manager of Research and Development. He also handles legal stuff. pjhones@spyderco.com You have to do some paperwork to protect both of us. I've already emailed Peter about this thread and brought him into the loop.

sal
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:57 am
JoviAl wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:45 am
sal wrote:
Hey Al,

sal
Hi Sal,

Another CBBL model besides Manix 2 and XL would be amazing... and if inspired by one who obviously really uses his knives a lot even more so! :grin-big eyes
Thanks Gernot 😊

I adore the Manix XL but I’m always getting plant matter stuck in the finger choil. Maybe this is my chance to offer an alternative. Feels a bit surreal to be drawing up a knife design proposal for Sal though 😅
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

sal wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:09 am
Hi Al,

Contact Peter Jhones at Spyderco. He's the manager of Research and Development. He also handles legal stuff. pjhones@spyderco.com You have to do some paperwork to protect both of us. I've already emailed Peter about this thread and brought him into the loop.

sal
Thanks Sal, I’ll crack on with it tonight and get the first iteration sent over to Peter.
- Al

Dream knives -
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Time to start saving my money up 💵
Last edited by RugerNurse on Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
benben

Post by benben »

JoviAl wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:12 am
sal wrote:
Hi Al,

sal
Thanks Sal, I’ll crack on with it tonight and get the first iteration sent over to Peter.
Very cool, now this is what makes this forum and the Spyderco brand so great!
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

TimButterfield wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:32 am
That sounds interesting. A Carribean sized backlock with SE Magnacut and dark green burlap micarta. If it's still a Salt and needs a water themed name, maybe call it the Salish after the Puget Sound/Salish Sea area and all of the islands, dark water, and evergreens around there. Put me down for one.
CBBL instead? Okay, I'm out. I may try it some day, but I'm no longer enthused. I would have liked it in another lock style, but not that one. Maybe it's just my Manix, but there is too much tension on the spring for me and I'm not interested in having to tweak it to get it comfortable. And, this is from someone who types for a living (software developer). I know others like that style of lock, but it just doesn't work well for me. It will still be fun to watch something happen. That's always a good time.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TimButterfield wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:08 am
TimButterfield wrote:
CBBL instead? Okay, I'm out. I may try it some day, but I'm no longer enthused. I would have liked it in another lock style, but not that one. Maybe it's just my Manix, but there is too much tension on the spring for me and I'm not interested in having to tweak it to get it comfortable. And, this is from someone who types for a living (software developer). I know others like that style of lock, but it just doesn't work well for me. It will still be fun to watch something happen. That's always a good time.

I figure it must be your particular example!

I always found it easy to operate the CBBL even with just one finger (thumb OR index finger) on each CBBL model I tried (four, I think)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:45 am
TimButterfield wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:08 am
TimButterfield wrote:
I figure it must be your particular example!

I always found it easy to operate the CBBL even with just one finger (thumb OR index finger) on each CBBL model I tried (four, I think)
Perhaps, but I have similar dislikes for cross/ambidextrous locks in other brands also such as the Iridium from Kaiser or even Benchmade. I only have the old Benchmades like the 625 Crawford. I won't buy a newer one and I gave away the Iridium I had. I almost gave away my Manix, but decided to keep trying it just in case it got better. So far, it hasn't. It would probably work just fine for you.

I'm still curious to see how this new design turns out, though.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Spyderco has got to be hands down the coolest knife company on planet Earth…let the Sal & Al show begin 👏 👊
dullmaker

Post by dullmaker »

JoviAl wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:12 am
sal wrote:
Hi Al,

sal
One reason Spyderco is my favorite knife company. It doesn't get much cooler than this. Put me down for 1!
Bruce
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

sal wrote:
Hey Al,

sal
This is why I love Sal, Eric and Spyderco!

Hamilton
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

My initial concept design is ready to hand to Spyderco for review and refinement, just waiting for a friend to turn it into a CAD format now.

*edited for clarity.
Last edited by JoviAl on Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Al

Dream knives -
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Al,

You will need to contact our R&D/Legal guy, Peter. Peterj@spyderco.com so you can get the paperwork sorted before you show anything to us. It's a formality but necessary. Peter is aware of this thread and he's also started to put something together based on your early description. You'll be working with Peter on refining the design, as well. He's our R&D Manager and he's been with us for more than 25 years.

sal
____________________________________________________________________________________

"Continual improvement is our evolutionary obligation to humankind".

sal
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:44 am
Hi Al,

You will need to contact our R&D/Legal guy, Peter. Peterj@spyderco.com so you can get the paperwork sorted before you show anything to us. It's a formality but necessary. Peter is aware of this thread and he's also started to put something together based on your early description. You'll be working with Peter on refining the design, as well. He's our R&D Manager and he's been with us for more than 25 years.

sal
____________________________________________________________________________________

"Continual improvement is our evolutionary obligation to humankind".

sal
Hi Sal,

I’ve been in touch with Peter already and have the docs to sign 👍🏻 Thank you for this opportunity - even if it never gets past the concept stage for whatever reason it has been extremely educational. Who knew designing a folding knife could be so complicated? 😉
- Al

Dream knives -