Military Sprint Runs No More?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ejames13

Military Sprint Runs No More?

Post by ejames13 »

With the advent of the Military 2, will we see any more sprint runs in the venerable OG Military platform, or are those days long gone?
sal

Re: Military Sprint Runs No More?

Post by sal »

Hi Ejames,

Depends on demand and requests, but I would guess the sprints will be built on the Military 2 platform, which is a very nice model.

sal
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:05 pm
Hi Ejames,

Depends on demand and requests, but I would guess the sprints will be built on the Military 2 platform, which is a very nice model.

sal
Thanks for the reply, Sal.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Personally for me, it’s sad to witness this likely end of such an important era in Spyderco history. The more recent CQI Military 1s are so amazing. While I like the new Military 2 version, to me it’s a larger PM2 and not so much a “Military” anymore. I’m not writing this to provoke a discussion about their relative merits or how one can’t stop the flow of “progress” — just a personal opinion from someone who’s a huge fan of the original.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I've got the M4 Ti Framelock Military, and two of the S90V Ti Framelocks.

Love to have some Framelock Military's in more steels.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

The St. Nicks 4V Military was a nice way to go out. I still think the Cruwear is my favorite. All great examples of a well designed tool.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

dan31 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:02 pm
The St. Nicks 4V Military was a nice way to go out. I still think the Cruwear is my favorite. All great examples of a well designed tool.
Man, I'd love to have a St. Nicks 4V Millie!
That's the one I really wanted.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

The S110v Military is still in production. I would not let it pass if you like the Military 1.
brj

Post by brj »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:05 pm
While I like the new Military 2 version, to me it’s a larger PM2 and not so much a “Military” anymore. I’m not writing this to provoke a discussion about their relative merits or how one can’t stop the flow of “progress” — just a personal opinion from someone who’s a huge fan of the original.
Absolutely +1 on this. Not a fan of the 'mega choil' or any of the other improvements introduced with the Para 2/3 line. Will most likely get the S90V version, but I know it could never melt in my hand as the OG does. I'm glad I got in on the St. Nick's sprint, most likely the very last iteration of the OG Millie.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

brj wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:37 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
While I like the new Military 2 version, to me it’s a larger PM2 and not so much a “Military” anymore. I’m not writing this to provoke a discussion about their relative merits or how one can’t stop the flow of “progress” — just a personal opinion from someone who’s a huge fan of the original.
Absolutely +1 on this. Not a fan of the 'mega choil' or any of the other improvements introduced with the Para 2/3 line. Will most likely get the S90V version, but I know it could never melt in my hand as the OG does. I'm glad I got in on the St. Nick's sprint, most likely the very last iteration of the OG Millie.

+2

Also don't want and need another actual discussion, but the Millie 2 to me still is just more of a "PM2 XL" / "PM4"

Subjective, of course, but the great, perfect for outdoor use (especially with gloves) and "idiot-proof"-finger safe linerlock as well as the perfect minimal choil are just defining Millie features for me personally.

As it is - Millie 2 being cheaper and appearantly more "pushed" by sprints and the like, as well as considering the fact that a "1" eventually never really remained in the Spyderco lineup after a "2" came out - I don't see a bright future for the good, old Millie...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

brj wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:

That's a beautiful thing.
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

I for one would love to see a Salt version of the Military either flat ground steel would be great but am guessing the MagnaCut Mania would make this the obvious commercial choice for this sprint. How about it guys ? Why don’t we get JD to start the push for a Magnacut salt Military sprint ?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

brj wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:

My goodness. I'm speechless...... 😎
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've only got 2, but would like to think they are 2 of the best iterations of the model. I don't think it's even up for debate that the CF/Ti S90V is king. Combination of materials and steel is unmatched. The St Nick's model is a great way to go out if indeed the last exclusive released. Such a looker and great steel to boot for the last of the more standard style Military.

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Venting on changes in what Spyderco offers seems to me to miss the point of what Spyderco has been since its beginning.

Do I miss the graceful curves of the Stretch? Sure!

Oh, wait! I do have several of them (but not as many as BRJ has Military Models!). Any one of my Stretches could be my only Spydie for a lifetime.

But, I guess that’s not why Spyderco appeals to me. I like the choice of new models, even if discos are a consequence.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:35 am
I've only got 2, but would like to think they are 2 of the best iterations of the model. I don't think it's even up for debate that the CF/Ti S90V is king. Combination of materials and steel is unmatched. The St Nick's model is a great way to go out if indeed the last exclusive released. Such a looker and great steel to boot for the last of the more standard style Military.

Your killin me with that 4v Mille! 😆
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:49 am
Venting on changes in what Spyderco offers seems to me to miss the point of what Spyderco has been since its beginning.

Do I miss the graceful curves of the Stretch? Sure!

Oh, wait! I do have several of them (but not as many as BRJ has Military Models!). Any one of my Stretches could be my only Spydie for a lifetime.

But, I guess that’s not why Spyderco appeals to me. I like the choice of new models, even if discos are a consequence.
No offense, but I never really understand when people put it like you just did... no one is "venting on changes".

To some the "Millie concept" was just partly defined by things like the great linerlock and the minimal choil, and since these aspects changed to pretty much the PM2 approach in the Millie 2 (comp.lock and deeper choil) to those "some" the new knife feels just more like a PM2 XL than like a Millie 2. Nothing more, nothing less, not necessarily a good or bad thing.

And some actually will MISS what the Millie 1 had to offer - right because it is a great design and in a normally distributed customer -and user sample there just statistically has to be a share of folks who values a big, Golden linerlock knife and/or how for them such a lock works better in especially outdoor use (and the Millie linerlock has been praised a lot for just that). Same goes for the choil.
Why not say that? This is not "venting" but honoring a great, "veteran" design.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Depending on what’s said it can definitely come across as venting but the semantics aren’t important. What matters is that the Military Model has not been discontinued yet. It is still in production, with six different versions, and can be purchased at any time. (It also remains as one of only two left hand specific models in their lineup)

Even future sprints and exclusives are still possible if there is enough demand, according to Sal. That should be great news for Military Model devotees. In the meantime we are fortunate enough to have over 25 years worth of Military Model to choose from. They’re not all so readily available but sometimes the hunt is half the fun and it can make owning that knife feel that much more rewarding.

As long as the Military Model can continue to stand on its own merit against the big bad PM4XL, there should be nothing to worry about. For now though, the Military 2 will be huffing and puffing and blowing down shelves until it meets a shelf that can rival its greatness… :grin-squint That’s just my nonsensical way of saying the Military 2 is incredible and worth embracing! It feels so good in hand - noticeably improved in my opinion. The full size choil feels so much more effective than the previous iteration for me and the lock change is next to unnoticeable. Definitely a worthy next generation of the C36! :respect :bug-white
-Nick :bug-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

We never got a Maxamet or 15V Military. :(
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
spydie-fan

Post by spydie-fan »

Cross your fingers for a Military 2 version.

Personally I'm hoping Cutlery Shoppe has a Cts-Xhp version in the works.