ATS-55 Police Model Dropped

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PMan

ATS-55 Police Model Dropped

Post by PMan »

My classic ATS-55 Stainless Police Model dropped and now it does not open properly. The blade over extends to lock in place. With the thumb spring lever protruding up and out of place. I believe that a flat metal locking piece fell out. But, I have it.

Has anyone had this happen and how did you fix this? Does it need to go in for service, or can this be reassembled otherwise?

Thanks for advice.
sal

Re: ATS-55 Police Model Dropped

Post by sal »

Hi PMan,

Welcome to our forum.

I believe that was a pinned model and it's hard to tell what happened to it. You can send it in to Customer Service. They will tell you what they can and cannot do.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum!

What kind of "flat metal locking piece fell out"? Since you still have that, can you post pics (and of the whole situation)? - Here is a good way to do so viewtopic.php?f=5&t=83968.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PMan

Post by PMan »

As you can see from the photos, the blade locks past where it should.

I believe that this is the flat piece that popped out. But, could be wrong. I dropped this a long while ago and the piece was in the box with the knife.
Attachments
Spyderco 8cc.jpg
Spyderco 7cc.jpg
Spyderco 6cc.jpg
Spyderco 5cc.jpg
Spyderco 4cc.jpg
Spyderco 3cc.jpg
Spyderco 2cc.jpg
Spyderco 1cc.jpg
endura3

Post by endura3 »

PMan wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:17 pm
As you can see from the photos, the blade locks past where it should.

I believe that this is the flat piece that popped out. But, could be wrong. I dropped this a long while ago and the piece was in the box with the knife.
I may be mistaken as I don't own this early version of the police, but I don't *think* that flat metal component is part of the knife.

Can you visually identify any damage to either (1) the locking face of the lockbar where it engages with the blade, or (2) the back of the blade tang where it meets the lockbar? For the lockbar to stick out that way, I think one of those components likely got damaged or sheared off.

In any case, I'd definitely recommend getting in touch with spyderco customer service to see if there's anything they can do. This is a beautiful knife - sorry to hear about the damage.
endura3

Post by endura3 »

Here's an image of another lockback knife (Delica) - this lockbar isn't going to be indentical to your model but is roughly similar. I circled the area of the lockbar that I think is likely to have sheared off.

Your version can't be disassembled, but you may be able to visually inspect the locking interface to see if everything is where it's supposed to be.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I do not believe that piece was ever a part of that knife. I'm reasonably familiar with the Police Model, and the only thing I know of that could produce the problem I see in those pictures is a broken lockbar. Since the knife is pinned together, taking it apart is not easy, and even if you got it apart, you would have to have a new lockbar made to fit. That would likely cost as much as buying a new knife.
PMan

Post by PMan »

Yes, Now that I have looked closer, it does appear that it is missing the lock bar piece at the back of the tang.

So, would you think that this is not reparable?
Attachments
13cc.jpg
14cc.jpg
endura3

Post by endura3 »

PMan wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:19 pm
Yes, Now that I have looked closer, it does appear that it is missing the lock bar piece at the back of the tang.

So, would you think that this is not reparable?
I think it probably isn't repairable, unfortunately. I doubt spyderco still has replacement lockbars for these early police models, unless the lockbar from the current version of the stainless police would fit (which I'd guess is unlikely). At any rate it would be a pretty intensive repair with the pinned construction too. But it wouldn't hurt to reach out to spyderco just in case! Especially if the knife is personally valuable/meaningful to you.

Referring back to the current stainless police I mentioned, if you weren't aware spyderco still manufactures a version of the police that's very similar to your model, with the exception of screw construction, VG10 instead of ATS55, and a 4 way adjustable clip:

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=2

If this damage isn't repairable, that would probably be your best option for a close replacement unless you find a used older model on ebay where they come up pretty often in varying condition.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi PMan,

I still would suggest sending it in to Charlynn in Customer Service. I'll alert her to the thread.

sal
PMan

Post by PMan »

I will call the to see if they can repair it. It's value is that it was a gift to me when I graduated from the academy in 1998. Now, my son just graduated and I want to pass it on to him...

Thanks for all of your help!
PMan

Post by PMan »

Thanks Sal! I appreciate that.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Hi PMan, not sure if you are much familiar with Sal - he is the founder and owner of the company. He is quite active in Spyderco Forums and he personally reacted with suggestion to contact customer service. I would recommend to do so, you will be treated well and they will do what they can to repair your Police, if it will be possible. If they will be able to repair it, that beautiful piece of cutlery should still have a lot of life in it and will serve you well. If they will not be able to repair it, it might be time to update to newer version of Police. Since ATS55 model is quite old, I suppose it might eventually deserve retirement and new piece will serve you for many many years.

From what I see in the picture, it seems like spring broke and it should be differently looking flat piece of steel. Still, you can include whatever you think is part of the knife in the package and send it to Golden, Colorado.

Fingers crossed.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It is certainly a broken lockbar. The biggest issues with repairing the knife are: 1) A new lockbar will have to be made. There is virtually no chance that anyone will have one for a model that old, and even less chance that a new one will fit. 2) Pinned stainless knives have to be re-pinned and completely refinished to complete such a repair, a skill which has vanished and been replaced with screw construction.

On the bright side, you can snag one just like it on eBay for half of what I would expect such a repair to cost.
PMan

Post by PMan »

That's sad, because it has the original personal engraving on it.

I called repair and they said to mail it in and they would look at it.