Calypso Jr Sprint Run Considerations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What combo would you like to see?

SPY27/Cobalt Blue FRN
19%
CRUWEAR/Gray FRN
13%
ZDP/British Racing Green FRN
8%
HAP40/Forest Green FRN
13%
K390/Blue FRN
13%
VG-10/Ivory FRN
5%
LC200N/Salt Green FRN
8%
Other (Please Specify Your Preference Below)
3%
Satin/Stonewash Clip
11%
Black Clip
8%

Total votes: 189

elena86

Re: Calypso Jr Sprint Run Considerations

Post by elena86 »

This is great news for me. I love the Calypso jr. even more than the Caly3. I voted SPY27 but I wouldn't mind one in LC or Cruwear.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Larry,

Yes, you are correct. I always thought of the CX04 as a Calypso. It was still in testing stages and not named.

Nice collection.

sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:15 am
Hey bolster, I’m curious do you prefer the calypso pattern over the calys ? Say like a frn calypso jr or a frn caly 3, which pattern do you prefer ?
This ones always been a dilemma for me, there are things I prefer about each of them, calys and calypsos. I tend to like the c54 design the best out of the family, as a user, that blade length is probably the most efficient cutter out of the family, the handle is also nice and hand filling, the most manipulable too imo.

Like you say, that would be a difficult choice! I hope I don't have to decide. On work days, I like a 3" blade for the type of work I do (contracting, where a long blade typically isn't needed, and precise control of the tip is) but for outdoor use & food prep I'd love a calypso 4".

Deacon's photo:

Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Personally, I would be perfectly happy with VG-10 again.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx RadSpyder,

Great shot thanx. Is that all of them in FRN?

sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Should be Sal, I’m pretty sure it is. Unless of course you want to add another to the lineup!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:23 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:10 am
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:32 pm

Nick, in your pic the Jr. seems to have a sharpening notch (not sure, hard to see on my small cellphone screen right now) - ?

Is this so? And if, does it come like this from the factory (don´t think so, or was Spyderco not that strict in putting NO sharpening notches into inhouse models in their earlier days?) ?

Anway, IF this is a sharpening notch it looks like a "clever" one - just partly and not as a whole in the edge itself.

(I still would not care for it personally. Just not my thing).
Hi Gernot, you are correct. The Caly Jr. does have a sharpening notch from the factory. Personally, I could do without it as well but I looked past that just to try the model. :bug-white :respect
Meadowlark wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:19 am
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:32 pm
jabba359 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:26 am
[/quote]

Thanks!

I´d prefer it having none in a potential sprint, but a sharpening notch is not the end of the world either..

Just interesting that they chose to add one back in the days, despite this is not some collab where the (extern) designer wants that.
I like the current approach of NO notch and the fact that it can easily be added if one chooses so, but can´t really be removed without making the blade a lot less tall.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

This thread deserves more pics. These are my safe queens

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

I've already got a list going of changes. No sharpening notch is one of them. Serrations on about a third, screw construction, if possible, jimping on the ramp and p the quality.

sal
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

It doesn’t need jumping imo. The shape locks your hand in good enough and if anyrhjng in prolonged use, the corners of the jimping are quite sharp and aggressive. I’d prefer no jimping and slightly knocked down corners. It’s quite perfect the way it is, sal. You knew what you were doing with the c52
Last edited by Tristan_david2001 on Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:bug-red-white
attila

Post by attila »

sal wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:57 pm
I've already got a list going of changes. No sharpening notch is one of them. Serrations on about a third, screw construction, if possible, jimping on the ramp and p the quality.

sal
Awesome!!! Thanks, Sal!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:

sal

Nice! :smlling-eyes

As for "tip up": I´d probably do something like this (NOT my pic but from here https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/mil ... n.1608917/ and of course a Millie, but should work with the Lanyard hole of the Calypso Jr too)

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RadioactiveSpyder

I personally don’t want ANY changes made to it. Keep the sharpening notch, no jimping or any other thing that would make it a cousin vs a sibling to all the others.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

attila wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:45 pm
sal wrote:

sal
Awesome!!! Thanks, Sal!
Awesome indeed! Thanx sal.

I'm sold on the screw construction and sans sharpening choil. The jimping is a take-or-leave feature for me, and the SE will be great for the SE crowd.

While I understand the sentiment to "leave it as it is", I think these slight changes are upgrades, overall, and will be much more appreciated than not. Especially so after all the fervor regarding the current "value per price", for us consumers.

As a side note, I find it interesting to see that the least favorable options happen to be the Japanese steels in the poll.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I would much prefer to see it remain with no jimping on the thumb ramp.
-Nick :bug-red
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:27 pm
I personally don’t want ANY changes made to it. Keep the sharpening notch, no jimping or any other thing that would make it a cousin vs a sibling to all the others.

Absolutely; the effort made to resurrect this particular Calypso family member should be purely done.

Subsequent Calypso/Caly family members may well have improved the line but each iteration, especially the Caly Jr, deserves a sprint as designed but with the requisite steel and/or handle variations.

The Caly Jr. is - in my opinion - one of Sal's most consequential designs and any possible sprint run deserves the DNA that defines the model.

Keep the Caly Jr the Caly Jr.
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Duplicate
Last edited by Meadowlark on Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Duplicate
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:32 pm
I would much prefer to see it remain with no jimping on the thumb ramp.
I don't actually use thumb ramps a lot, but have to say: No jimping there was kind of nice indeed on the RJ and LJ I tried.

Still I guess it does not matter much to me either way (jimping or not).