Sage 5 in REX 121 + burnt orange

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Flash

Re: Sage 5 in REX 121 + burnt orange

Post by Flash »

At the end of the day burnt Orange is just a colour in the plastic. It’s nothing that particularly excites me.
What would concern me is how a steel HT’d to circa 70 HRC is going to perform in the real word of cuttin’ stuff:
How would the blade’s edge react upon receiving a small, unintentional impact from something hard?
Would it be overly fragile this low geometry?
Can it’s microstructure cope with the rigours of day to day use?
Would Spyderco provide any assistance to me if it breaks or gets damaged when I use it within the realms of where I would a expect knife with a more conventional steel to perform perfectly fine?
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Flash wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:37 am
Would Spyderco provide any assistance to me if it breaks or gets damaged when I use it within the realms of where I would an expect knife with a more conventional steel to perform perfectly fine?
TBH, I would keep it as more of a collector piece if that were a concern. I want Spyderco to be releasing these exotic steels and if they have to warranty them in some sort of outstanding way and/or tie up extra resources helping people out of jams, we probably aren’t gonna see as many of them. So I’d much rather take the L if I do something goofy and chip my edge. If it means a long night at the stones once in a blue moon, so be it.

I’m just not a fan of companies covering user error under warranty. In my life, fishing gear has taken the biggest hit. We’ve seen the prices of decent fly rods and bass rods skyrocket in recent years because companies have started implementing these extravagant warranties in order to compete with eachother. And again, I’d rather pay $500 up front then buy a new one if I goof up as opposed to $1100 for the same product with some warranty that I’m probably never gonna use anyway.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:37 am
I’m just not a fan of companies covering user error under warranty. In my life, fishing gear has taken the biggest hit. We’ve seen the prices of decent fly rods and bass rods skyrocket in recent years because companies have started implementing these extravagant warranties in order to compete with eachother. And again, I’d rather pay $500 up front then buy a new one if I goof up as opposed to $1100 for the same product with some warranty that I’m probably never gonna use anyway.

So they're building insurance into the price...which benefits careless people, and penalizes the prudent, it seems to me. "Safety-nettism."
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:57 am
Manifestgtr wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:37 am

So they're building insurance into the price...which benefits careless people, and penalizes the prudent, it seems to me. "Safety-nettism."
AKA "The CalyFRNia Tax".
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Wonder which new Sage 5 variant drops first.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:57 am
IMG_1897.gif
IMG_1897.gif (937.98 KiB) Viewed 245 times
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch