Caribbean Adjustment?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DBCajun

Caribbean Adjustment?

Post by DBCajun »

Hey folks, got my new Caribbean in yesterday. Really like it. I noticed that the scales have a little play in them to an audible degree. I’m assuming the screws need tightening? What should I do to fix this? Get a torx set and tighten? Thanks for your help.
wrdwrght

Re: Caribbean Adjustment?

Post by wrdwrght »

Get a torx set and tighten. That set will serve you for other Spydies, too.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

DBCajun wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:16 am
Hey folks, got my new Caribbean in yesterday. Really like it. I noticed that the scales have a little play in them to an audible degree. I’m assuming the screws need tightening? What should I do to fix this? Get a torx set and tighten? Thanks for your help.
Yes, tighten them. Weird that they're loose.

Which Caribbean did you go for? I'm betting the plain-edge leaf.

Wiha makes a great Torx set, btw, but any of them will do.
DBCajun

Post by DBCajun »

Coastal wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:56 pm
DBCajun wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:16 am
Yes, tighten them. Weird that they're loose.

Which Caribbean did you go for? I'm betting the plain-edge leaf.

Wiha makes a great Torx set, btw, but any of them will do.
I got the plain edge leaf.

I was thinking of just overlooking it, but feel like it shouldn’t be doing this so I thought I’d ask. Not trying to be an obsessive over-analyzer. What if I tighten it and it persists? Would it be better to return it and exchange for another?
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

If it persists, I'd use blue Loctite on the screws.
DBCajun

Post by DBCajun »

Update (if you’re interested): I returned the Caribbean. I dropped the knife on my living room carpet and it came open. Not a knife I can see on a boat or in a camping environment. You’re on the bow of the boat and it falls and slides to the back while open? You’re rigging something overhead at a campsite and it falls and opens as your kid is helping you? Granted, these things might not happen, but they certainly could. It just wasn’t safe enough for me. That, plus the loose scales and black discoloration on the inside of one of the scales and I had to let it go. The grip was also slick east-west. For the price those things shouldn’t have existed. Beautiful design. Really liked that blade and all that cutting edge right up to the handle. I’d certainly buy one if it had a safer mechanism. Back to the drawing board…
greyshrike2

Post by greyshrike2 »

I purchased a Caribbean in Feb 2024.
Pressing/holding the handle firmly caused a clicking sound (specifically from the LH scale only).
I could tighten the hardware enough to stop the noise, but only after making the pivot extremely hard to close. All screws were tested at various tensions. Note loctite was applied from the factory and by myself.
Ultimately, I fixed it by adding a small drop of superglue between the nested G10 and metal liners on the LH scale.
R100

Post by R100 »

DBCajun wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:00 pm
Update (if you’re interested): I returned the Caribbean. I dropped the knife on my living room carpet and it came open. Not a knife I can see on a boat or in a camping environment. You’re on the bow of the boat and it falls and slides to the back while open? You’re rigging something overhead at a campsite and it falls and opens as your kid is helping you? Granted, these things might not happen, but they certainly could. It just wasn’t safe enough for me. That, plus the loose scales and black discoloration on the inside of one of the scales and I had to let it go. The grip was also slick east-west. For the price those things shouldn’t have existed. Beautiful design. Really liked that blade and all that cutting edge right up to the handle. I’d certainly buy one if it had a safer mechanism. Back to the drawing board…
Hello DBCajun, any compression lock knife is likely to come open if you drop it. The best way to avoid this is to buy a lockback - they have strong self closing bias. Probably the best alternative to the Caribbean would be a Siren which is also in the Salt series and has an LC200N blade with similar length of cutting edge. This version has been discontinued but is still available. Here is a link: https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ck--102051 .

People will have varying opinions on this but I think the Siren is a better knife than the Caribbean. Have a look and see what you think.

Here's a photo of mine accompanying me on my last desert motorcycle trip.

Dan
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

DBCajun wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:00 pm
Hi DB, yeah the detent is too weak on the Caribbean so I made some adjustments to strengthen it and spent hours modding the scales for a better grip but it still doesn’t get as much pocket time as it would were it a backlock…still one of my favorites though and I’ll never sell it…you might wanna try the Siren as mentioned above or maybe a Pacific in lc200n…the knife that is currently my favorite large folder is the Stretch lw salt (H2 SE)…idk how you feel about serrations or H2 but they’re hard to beat 😉👊
DBCajun

Post by DBCajun »

Thanks Dan and Salty. The Siren looks interesting. This’ll be mainly my surf fishing and camping knife. I 100% plan to dunk it in salt water to wash it out as I’m cutting bait. I started off with a Stretch 2 XL, but wasn’t wild about the side-to-side flex. But after looking at all the options, I probably should have stuck with it. I wish it was offered in LC.

What do you guys think about VG10 or other steel for salt water use if rinsed once I get back from the beach?

Edit: I’m interested in the SE after everything I’ve read regarding its durability in H1/2. But I saw Surfgringo mention that he likes PE for cutting braid, which it what I use. Maybe I can keep a line nipper separate from the knife for line cutting.
DBCajun

Post by DBCajun »

Do y’all think a Tenacious or Resilience could survive surf fishing if I rinse it after the trip?
xnmw

Post by xnmw »

DBCajun wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:45 pm
Do y’all think a Tenacious or Resilience could survive surf fishing if I rinse it after the trip?
I’d stick to the salt line for that kind of use. I think you’d get spotting and rust if you’re out there for hours with the seawater drying on the blade and hardware. I’d go for a lockback, maybe serrated like the others said. Some deals to be had lately
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That clicking sounds weird. If you take the scales off and lay them flat on the table and press, is there still a click?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Get a Stretch XL Salt or Pacific Salt in H1/H2 and you'll be doing great. LC200N will also work just fine. Pick plain edge or serrated based on your sharpening experience or preference. I did have a Siren for a time and the stiffness of the G10 scales was a plus, for me, but Spyderco's FRN handles are very tough despite any flex.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
DBCajun

Post by DBCajun »

Hey Doc,

I didn’t fool with trying to fix it. I didn’t think it was appropriate to mess with it then return it, so I left it as it was before sending it back. It was probably just loose scale screws, but if it was something more I wouldn’t know how to fix it. If I moved the knife back and forth in my hand there was an audible clicking sound, more pronounced to the rear of the scales. If I pinched a scale screw with the thumb and forefinger of my left hand, and wiggled the knife with my right hand, there was definite movement I could feel around the screw. So probably loose screws. But, if it was a poorly drilled hole or something, I didn’t want to get in the weeds with it. Though some Locktite probably would have sorted it out. Regardless, the safety factor also influenced my choice to return.
DBCajun

Post by DBCajun »

Wandering_About wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:06 am
Get a Stretch XL Salt or Pacific Salt in H1/H2 and you'll be doing great. LC200N will also work just fine. Pick plain edge or serrated based on your sharpening experience or preference. I did have a Siren for a time and the stiffness of the G10 scales was a plus, for me, but Spyderco's FRN handles are very tough despite any flex.
Yeah, I think you’re right. Stretch 2 XL seems like the most cutting edge bang for the buck in the Salt line. I probably jumped the gun worrying about the flex. I’ll likely order the Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wandering_About wrote:

He already had the Stretch XL Salt but did not like the slight side to side play (see here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96161&start=20#p1768818)

@DBCajun:

- I just would ike to assure you again: A Pac Salt or Stretch XL Salt is a really strong knife and will not cause you ANY problems even if bearing down on it and despite you perceive that slight play

- A backlock or CBBL just has a better closing bias (and stays closed more firmly) than a comp.lock or linerlock by design...(one of several reasons why the backlock is my favorite one and the CBBL a close second)

- So, my new recommendation for you... Manix 2 LW Salt
+ Magnacut (very rust resitante)
+ Yes, linerless like the Stretch Salt or Pac Salt, but feels a lot more solid (FRCP feels somehow harder than FRN and every CBBL I tried so far locked the blade super solid and blade play free)

- Since the Siren got mentioned: Great knife, but discontinued, so you´d have to look around.
And: In a tight hammer grip the blade can get a bit loose and rattly (yes, also in the improved second version)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DBCajun wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:49 am
Wandering_About wrote:
Yeah, I think you’re right. Stretch 2 XL seems like the most cutting edge bang for the buck in the Salt line. I probably jumped the gun worrying about the flex. I’ll likely order the Stretch.
Read this only AFTER I posted my reply above! :')

Good choice, give it another try!!! - The Stretch XL Salt (in SE) is a knife I definitely will get too eventually! (Have the ffg VG10 version already - also in SE of course).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)