Spyderco SLIPITs SE question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PaloArt

Spyderco SLIPITs SE question

Post by PaloArt »

Hi Spydie folks,

quick question I can`t find answer to. Do we know why we don`t have standard (non Salt) Slipits with serrated edges anymore?

For example, I can imagine SE on Squeak, Urban and regular line of UKPK. I have a feeling that some will point out that I should stay in imaginary phase for those models as these will not receive SE treatment, still one can be curious and hope for some update in future including return of Urban in wharncliffe (updated with SE) like we saw in C127GPOR :smiling-heart-eyes
cjk

Re: Spyderco SLIPITs SE question

Post by cjk »

I'd guess because they weren't great sellers?

Within the past few months, I purchased a couple of new serrated lil Natives. IIRC, Both had date codes of around 2017 or 2018. Maybe they regularly make these and I got "lucky"? Or maybe the initial production runs are still in the sales channels?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

The biggest market for our SLIPITs is Europe. Europeans also have a clear preference for PlainEdge blades and rarely buy knives with serrated edges. It's basically a matter of market preferences.

Stay safe,

Mike
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:01 am
Hey, All:

The biggest market for our SLIPITs is Europe. Europeans also have a clear preference for PlainEdge blades and rarely buy knives with serrated edges. It's basically a matter of market preferences.

Stay safe,

Mike

Well, THIS European does what he can to shift things towards SE ... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

This American is not a Fan…. In my opinionated world Serrated = Saw….

Kinda like tomatoes, l’ve tried to like them my whole life. Just never seemed to click with me. Dunno 🤷
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jesla wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:50 pm
This American is not a Fan…. In my opinionated world Serrated = Saw….

Kinda like tomatoes, l’ve tried to like them my whole life. Just never seemed to click with me. Dunno 🤷

Ever really tried and compared to PE a perfectly sharpened SE Endela, SE Leafjumper or SE Caribbean?
Both in cutting and in HOW LONG they keep cutting?

Just a question out of interest, not trying to convert you! :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

Not those particular knives… however if I’m going to cut large twisted rope etc, I’m getting a hatchet out. I worked as an industrial mechanic for a very long time, my father-in-law was a big believer of “the right tool for the job”,”no one job wonder tools” and “using the wrong tool cost everybody money”….

…nothing against those who use them, just not my thing. Popularity seems to indicate I’m not alone in this thinking.
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jesla wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:42 pm
Not those particular knives… however if I’m going to cut large twisted rope etc, I’m getting a hatchet out. I worked as an industrial mechanic for a very long time, my father-in-law was a big believer of “the right tool for the job”,”no one job wonder tools” and “using the wrong tool cost everybody money”….

…nothing against those who use them, just not my thing. Popularity seems to indicate I’m not alone in this thinking.

Completely fine with me and clearly you know what you are talking about! :clinking-mugs

In my own use though a good Spyderedge has been proven to be superios over PE in almost any task - not only "twisted rope cutting" - but that´s just me and you´re correct in that a majority prefers PE over SE!
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:01 am
Hey, All:

Stay safe,

Mike
Hi Mike,

thank you very much for your reply. This makes sense, even though I am in a minority of people who like SE in Europe, I understand here might not be good market for it.

Take care,

Pavel
Rab

Post by Rab »

I'd love a re-issue of the UKPK Rescue.
Orange g10 & something stainless. Please.
There's not many serrated slipjoints.
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

the difficulty of sharpening serrated edge completely transferred me to plain edge
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Some locales thing serrated blade have saw teeth and are illegal. Even cops don't know the difference, all too often. I think the Rambo knife craze scared some politicians so badly they messed in their jeans and had to outlaw anything with saw teeth.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

I love my serrated UKPK. LC200n works in the ocean or on dry land. I swapped the gross bright scales on mine for a set of black FRN standard ones and it is a great user.

The serrated UKPK cuts better than plain edged versions, I believe because it is sooooo thin behind the edge thanks to the cutting edge only being ground on one side.