Upping the price.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zhyla

Re: Upping the price.

Post by zhyla »

This is a cool forum but it is a little bit of an echo chamber. Spyderco is nowhere near as influential as it was 10 or 15 years ago. When the Manix 2 dropped it was all people could talk about.

I think the price points have a lot to do with it. It’s a huge knife world out there. $100 goes a very long way with a lot of really good companies and it doesn’t even get you a Para 3 from Spyderco.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Started putting handles on Mules which led me to actually making knives. (Fixed blade hunters and kitchen knives mainly)

Have watched everything go up from sandpapers/grinding belts, epoxy, G10 to the tools I use mostly. (Shipping is the scariest)
Research a new vice for a month and find a month later the one I decided on has gone up $40-50 everywhere.

Inflation is real on everything from bread and butter to the knives we don’t really need.

Nowadays I shop in bulk and over buy on specials.
The one thing I do now, is buy the best tool for the job that may be expensive but cheaper in the long run as it will last a lifetime.

Which has led to the finding that all the power tool companies have it stacked against you, by selling skin only battery tools so every new tool needs a new battery charger and battery if you don’t have all the same companies tools.

The knife world is mild compared to a lot of other industries. :winking-tongue
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I know, right? Spyderco's prices are absurd. That's why they can't sell any knives. They have so much excess inventory that all hourly employees have been cut to three-day work weeks. I hear it's so bad that the new building next door is being converted vollyball courts. Renting out the courts will offset the losses from that ill-conceived knife venture.

Gemini_Generated_Image2.jpg
Danke

Post by Danke »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:18 pm
This is a cool forum but it is a little bit of an echo chamber. Spyderco is nowhere near as influential as it was 10 or 15 years ago. When the Manix 2 dropped it was all people could talk about.

I think the price points have a lot to do with it. It’s a huge knife world out there. $100 goes a very long way with a lot of really good companies and it doesn’t even get you a Para 3 from Spyderco.
Smart points! I'm looking for a new 15V folder this weekend. What good companies would you suggest?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Erich wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:31 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:45 am
Erich wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:06 am
Certainly but beware of the apologists/fanatics on this forum. They will ceaselessly defend the inflation and blame you for everything.

Not sure what / whom you´re talking about (honestly!) :thinking

I rarely or even never hear anyone "defend the inflation" - it (the inflation) is a bit crazy indeed.
But Spyderco has to live with the inflation and react to it like everyone else - other companies, and, yes, as you say, many customers by purchasing less or nothing at all these days.

The "blame you for everything" part is also a bit unclear to me - again, no offense meant! I just don´t understand what exactly you mean.

To me personally it is clear that with the inflation being what it is and aiming to keep their standards, ethics and quality Spyderco HAS to raise prices. Would I like them to be lower? Yes. Would I buy more then? Probably. But do I get why it is what it is? Sure.
You people did it for years with the "MAP." I remember, I created another account because the MAP police were so obnoxious. The most notorious seem to have fallen away by now, thankfully. The consumer has the right to voice complaints, stand up for himself, and don't buy. Spyderco isn't entitled to my money any more than any other company, nor I their knives. So, I bought back in BF 2022 at rock bottom and am set for life. Knives are indeed not a necessity! I agree! That's the excuse that was constantly thrown in the face of anyone who dissented from the MAP. So, now that the script has flipped, I throw it back.

Erich, I honestly still don´t understand - it might be just me or my not perfect English.
"You people".. "MAP Police".... I have no idea what you mean (and, less important but still unclear, to which "you people" you think I belong) :thinking

I definitely do not "blame you for everything", I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, I personally just feel that when looking at the whole picture (economy and inflation these days, Spydercos quality, will to explore exotic steels, ethics and approch towards not only their conumers but also business partners, employees, veterans, et cetera) Spydercos prices are justified and just fine.
And definitely not a "rip off" but well calculated in order to keep doing what they do, having their main production still in the US, offer good work places, and so on.
And I´d have no problem and would not hesitate to say it here if I felt differently.

Your milage may vary, and that´s perfectly fine!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I feel like I should point out in a dedicated post once more what imo has to be considered here - and this is not "fanboy-ish", it is what I believe and would also say about a company producing items I am not interested in at all, but with a similar approach as Spyderco:

I think what you buy with a Spyderco is not only a great knife, but also investing and supporting things like:

- A philosophy that is exactly NOT about making "the quickest and cheapest" money - look how long it often takes before a model hits the market, cause they want to make sure that everything is right before that.
Or Magnacut - I mean, other companies just jumped the wagon as soon as possible to "milk the hype" moneywise - Spyderco really took their time and probably relinquished money they could have made

- An approach of integrity and loyality: They stand with their partners and makers, they appearantly provide good work places, and this still to a large part in the country where the company is based, the USA. It would certainly be more cost efficient to relocate everything to China or just hire makers there - but Spyderco invests inside the US and creates jobs there.

- The will to really improve and fine tune already existing models all the times (cqi, modernizing like with the first Native to now Native 5, and so on).

- The risk of of investing in innovative steels, or things like many SE models, just trying out stuff that is interesting, but also could go wrong and potentially loose them money.

- Support of veterans, service members, law enforcment and so on via the "op focus" program

I personally rather invest in a company of that kind and perhaps pay a bit more or buy less models.
But no one forces anyone to do so - whoever wants can get a cheap(er) Chinese knife instead, right?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Danke wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:34 pm
Smart points! I'm looking for a new 15V folder this weekend. What good companies would you suggest?
Don’t be a troll. Fancy steel is a massive upsell.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:56 pm
- A philosophy that is exactly NOT about making "the quickest and cheapest" money - look how long it often takes before a model hits the market,
I think you’re misinterpreting this a little bit. Spyderco is a fine upstanding company, nobody can dispute their reputation. But this whole thread is really about how they’ve chosen to cater to the high margin enthusiast market instead focusing on “everyman” knives. They’ve always been a mix but over time that has shifted more and more to expensive knives with trendy steels. And because of this their solution to rising costs has been to pass that onto the consumers. Because frankly enthusiasts will buy anything.

Personally I would rather see them get costs under control, sell a much higher volume of knives, and see them in everyone’s pockets like you do Kershaws, Kizers, Civivis, etc.

There’s nothing wrong with one approach or the other. But Spyderco is a company I don’t end up recommending when someone needs a knife because the cost is so high and you can get much higher quality elsewhere for much less money.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:29 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:56 pm
- A philosophy that is exactly NOT about making "the quickest and cheapest" money - look how long it often takes before a model hits the market,
I think you’re misinterpreting this a little bit. Spyderco is a fine upstanding company, nobody can dispute their reputation. But this whole thread is really about how they’ve chosen to cater to the high margin enthusiast market instead focusing on “everyman” knives. They’ve always been a mix but over time that has shifted more and more to expensive knives with trendy steels. And because of this their solution to rising costs has been to pass that onto the consumers. Because frankly enthusiasts will buy anything.

Personally I would rather see them get costs under control, sell a much higher volume of knives, and see them in everyone’s pockets like you do Kershaws, Kizers, Civivis, etc.

There’s nothing wrong with one approach or the other. But Spyderco is a company I don’t end up recommending when someone needs a knife because the cost is so high and you can get much higher quality elsewhere for much less money.

Good and valid points and a perspective I did not really consider indeed, thanks!

Still it is like you say: At least nothing wrong with their approach, some might like it, some may not, and no one is forced to buy Spydercos.
But I completely get when people who love the brand would like to see more affordable models and less focus towards the "afis"

/ I honestly think though that one does not "get much higher quality elsewhere for much less money" - imo knives like the Delica, the Manix 2 LW or (and even especially) the S35 VN Tenacious offer great value and time proven amazing and very well executed designs...
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:07 am
/ I honestly think though that one does not "get much higher quality elsewhere for much less money" -
No offense but I think this is pretty out of touch with the modern knife market. I picked up a Civivi last year for a friend that blew my mind. You have to put your hands on what the good Chinese factories are putting out there to really let it sink in.

I don’t particularly care for most of the designs out there. And frankly there are too many models and companies to even know what to buy. But Spyderco has not been the “for the money” buy for years.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:41 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:07 am
/ I honestly think though that one does not "get much higher quality elsewhere for much less money" -
No offense but I think this is pretty out of touch with the modern knife market. I picked up a Civivi last year for a friend that blew my mind. You have to put your hands on what the good Chinese factories are putting out there to really let it sink in.

I don’t particularly care for most of the designs out there. And frankly there are too many models and companies to even know what to buy. But Spyderco has not been the “for the money” buy for years.
No offense taken (rather thanks for the respectful and constructive discussion :clinking-mugs )

I have to admit: While Spyderco to me represents good value, I haven't looked into any other brand for years now indeed when it comes to quality folders.
So I am not in a position to really argue with you when it comes to actually comparing folders from different companies.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

there are plenty of high value knives out there that have totally adequate quality if you like thumb studs, flippers, and liner locks. only spyderco does what spyderco does though, so you have to pay for it if you want it.

i've been one of the voices shouted down for stating similar things in the past, so i understand the frustration with continued rising prices and a cult-like fan base. as others have mentioned though, prices have skyrocketed across the board. the same reasons it's hard for us to justify buying knives make it harder for spyderco to continue making them at reasonable prices. even the chinese folders have gone up in price.

i think spyderco, despite having gone up in price to levels that i would've said three years ago are unreasonable, has managed to keep themselves at a relatively good value point for most of their knives, all things considered. last year, they didn't raise prices across the board like they have in the past and left most of the seki line alone. this year, it looks like they haven't raised anything and only changed map. while that is effectively a price increase, it looks to me like they are actually trying to stabilize prices.

the economy is rough right now. for everyone. i'm sure spyderco is feeling it too.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

The price raises suck, and have killed any enthusiasm I may have had for buying any brand new Spydercos. My only hope is that the Spyderco's workers have been seeing pay increases on par with how much they've raised their prices.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

I never pay MAP there are always deals if you are patient. Swayback $175 Autonomy serrated $225. Paysan second online $315.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:38 am
i've been one of the voices shouted down for stating similar things in the past, so i understand the frustration with continued rising prices and a cult-like fan base. .......

There might be that "cult like fan base", but honestly: I don´t see it here on this forum, or at least almost not.

To me it seems people here for the (vastly) most part are quite realistic and critical thinkers and contributors, aren´t they?
Yes, most here do love Spyderco and so they really look into and muse about the brand and their knives - but imo if in that process things occur that one might not like too much, this gets pointed out as well just like all the positive things.

I mean, there IS just a lot to like, even and also beyond "just" the Spyderco one gets in hand - as I´ve listed before, things like the philosophy, loyalty, ethics, creating US jobs, taking their time with new designs, exploring new steels and so on.

If I may take myself as an example: In this thread I probably said almost exclusively positive things about Spyderco - just cause this is my honest opinion, and I would also be that honest if I had more negative things to share. But I just don´t, in the grand scheme.
But I - like most here - absolutely don´t shy away from indeed saying what I don´t care too much for or would personally like to see differently when it comes to details: Like my preference for linerlocks over comp.locks - or that I don´t care much for choils on Native sized Spydies - or that the blade stock of quite some model could be thinner for me.

Most here seem to approach things similarly and not like a "cult like fan base" - ?
Just how I see it. :clinking-mugs
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I don't buy expensive folding knives to cut tape to open boxes at home, I have cheap useless kitchen knives for that. When employed at Amazon in their warehouse, they give us FREE tools for cutting tape and cardboard. They also do not allow us to bring knives of our own.

I buy knives for self defense, and I am preoccupied with that. Prices do matter to me a bit. I am not going to buy a $1,000 pig sticker if a $250 dollar one works well. I buy what I think works regardless of brand. I'm a buyer of Spyderco products because they make some neat knives, using some neat steels, and the company seems like a place I'd like to work.

I do not have a lot of faith in the ability of economists to predict anything at all, but quite a few of them are saying that the US consumer price index(CPI) continues to be in an inflationary period. We are not out of the woods yet and may see more price increases.

Inflation affects all goods and services. Spyderco is just like any other manufacturer, they are trying to make money, not lose money, so when raw materials and labor go up they must raise prices to stay in business. It is really that simple.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I have quite a bit of an education, a few of my degrees are technical(routers, switches, operating systems) but my biggest achievement was in the College of Business where I obtained a Management Information Systems degree.

Most of my education has long been forgotten. Instead I remember the concepts that underpin hundreds of pages of text.

One thing is for sure. If Spyderco manufactured below their cost to make knives, they would go out of business. Any manufacturer who wants to stay in business would not follow Spyderco's lead in selling below cost. If Spyderco makes a Native Chief for $500 each and it is popular, and has an 80% margin, hundreds of other manufacturers will try to make similar products to compete and get some of that market share. The many entrants into the market to sell $500 Native Chiefs would cause Spyderco to drop their prices to maintain sales and create a barrier to entry in the Native Chief market. It would be a race to the bottom....to eke out the minimum margin on each knife, so as to stay in business.

Capitalism is self correcting. If you want to stay in business, you simply cannot sell any product at too high a margin or too low a margin.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:16 am
I have to admit: While Spyderco to me represents good value, I haven't looked into any other brand for years now indeed when it comes to quality folders.
You should buy something. $50 is a cheap education :). The trouble is what to buy. The Metal Complex YouTube channel seems to have some good recommendations. I’ve been eyeing the Miguron Moyarl lately.
Danke

Post by Danke »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:21 am
Danke wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:34 pm
Don’t be a troll. Fancy steel is a massive upsell.
So I guess that's a no,,,,,,,
James Y

Post by James Y »

This subject comes up every year. Rising prices SUCK. And it seems like every year, the prices go up at higher amounts than they did in previous years.

I totally understand that Spyderco needs to do so to stay in business. So I'm not going to get mad at any particular company that needs to keep up with manufacturing costs. But at this rate, how long will it be before buying Spyderco knives becomes out of reach for all but the wealthy?

It won't affect me all that much, because, although ideally there are still knives I'd like to get someday, I stopped buying knives completely a few years ago. And for several years before that, my purchases had slowed to a trickle. I no longer feel a "need" to acquire every knife I'd *like* to have.

I own fewer Spyderco knives than most of the members here seem to own, but I still own far more knives than I'd ever need in 50 lifetimes. If I ever do buy another knife someday, it'll be a lot more expensive than it is now in 2024. If that ever happens, my income will be such that a "one and done" purchase isn't going to be a traumatic experience for me, compared to if I was in the habit of purchasing many new knives every year..

Jim