Scale swap question...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderJunky

Scale swap question...

Post by SpyderJunky »

Could there be an easy and straightforward scale exchange between these 2 knives or would something such as a different liner prevent me from doing so?

"I have too many Spyderco knives"-said no man ever.
yablanowitz

Re: Scale swap question...

Post by yablanowitz »

The description on the website says the liners are full on the lightweight rather than nested as is common on other lightweights, so you should be good.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:59 pm
The description on the website says the liners are full on the lightweight rather than nested as is common on other lightweights, so you should be good.

Yes, I had both the G10 and the FRN (=lightweight) Tenacious (as well as one with custom wood scales), and the liners are "full" (=not nested) on all Tenaciouses indeed.

I am almost 100% sure that screw placement is exactly the same too on all versions (which of course also makes total sense from an efficiency / production point of view) as well as scale thickness, so I´d say a scale swape should work just fine.

Don´t quote me on it though, I never actually DID one myself.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

... those non nested liners actually make the Tenacious (- family) a very good option for those who want to try and make their own custom scales: I figure one does not need much for that, just wood (or another material) in the right thickness (or longer / shorter screws), drill, and jigsaw (and perhaps sandpaper for shaping / sanding the handle / the handle edges)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
crayon

Post by crayon »

To piggyback on this question: are the scales of the Native 5 and Native 5 LW interchangeable?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

crayon wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:38 am
To piggyback on this question: are the scales of the Native 5 and Native 5 LW interchangeable?
I don´t know - just that the situation is different than it is with the Tenacious - on the latter I figure that "just" different scales (like in made out of different materials) are attached to the exact same internal frame (=liners).
While with the Natives both the G10 and the LW are linerless, so the internals might differ.
SpyderJunky

Post by SpyderJunky »

Geat info guys...
I figured the swap would work and went ahead and ordered the brown scaled G10 model with the 8CR13MOV.
I couldn't find any aftermarket scales ( I really wanted an earth tone micarta but figured the G-10 would do). So I figured for fifty bucks I would just get the whole knife... Knowing that if it didn't work out I'd have a good gift for someone.
But now the blue FRN is growing on me because warmer seasons coming.
The G-10 model should be in tomorrow so we will see soon.
Thx for the input!
I will report back here so then we'll all know for sure...
"I have too many Spyderco knives"-said no man ever.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

It’s for sure a direct swap. I did a lw-lw swap, but you can do the G10 too.

Cuscadi.de is one source for aftermarket micarta scales.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

crayon wrote:
The Native 5 LW and Native 5 G10 handles are not interchangeable.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
crayon

Post by crayon »

Wandering_About wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:15 am
crayon wrote:
The Native 5 LW and Native 5 G10 handles are not interchangeable.
Appreciate it!