Does anyone 3D print scales or accessories?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Does anyone 3D print scales or accessories?

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Just curious! I have two printers (Filament and resin) and was wondering if anyone had any luck printing scales or other accessories. I imagine there's the given weakness of PLA and other softer materials to consider but maybe I'm wrong. I was thinking as long as they have liners it may not be too bad. Or maybe I'm totally wrong and it's just a bad idea in general.

Your thoughts?
Sharp Guy

Re: Does anyone 3D print scales or accessories?

Post by Sharp Guy »

There's several been several threads about people 3D printing knife stuff. At least a couple threads on scales. A couple of the guys have even posted their scales on Thingiverse. Use the search function and you should be able to find the threads I'm referring to. 3D printed scales aren't really my thing but I'm sure it's a fun project for the guys making them

I have 4 machines and mostly make shooting related accessories but I've done some knife stuff too. Mostly Sharpmaker style bases with custom angles and some bases for other stone shapes (1" flat, 1/2" flat etc)

I've actually found PLA to be much more durable and chemical resistant than I originally thought it would be. Sure there are materials that are even better but it turns out they haven't been necessary for the parts I've designed, made, and used

Sal's mentioned they use a SLA printer to prototype handles. I'd like to get a resin printer too but I'm kind of out of room for another printer lol
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Danke

Post by Danke »

Some day you won't buy a knife. You'll buy a file and print your new knife at home.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:52 pm
There's several been several threads about people 3D printing knife stuff. At least a couple threads on scales. A couple of the guys have even posted their scales on Thingiverse. Use the search function and you should be able to find the threads I'm referring to. 3D printed scales aren't really my thing but I'm sure it's a fun project for the guys making them

I have 4 machines and mostly make shooting related accessories but I've done some knife stuff too. Mostly Sharpmaker style bases with custom angles and some bases for other stone shapes (1" flat, 1/2" flat etc)

I've actually found PLA to be much more durable and chemical resistant than I originally thought it would be. Sure there are materials that are even better but it turns out they haven't been necessary for the parts I've designed, made, and used

Sal's mentioned they use a SLA printer to prototype handles. I'd like to get a resin printer too but I'm kind of out of room for another printer lol
For the record I tried to search for "3d" and the results were overwhelming. Figured it was just easier to ask and resurrect the topic.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Visit the Mule sub forum.

Forumite Josh Crutchley is (one of) our local design and print wizard(s). Maybe his username is with no space between, can't remember. I know he has a number of Mule scale designs. I don't know if he has scale replacement designs for other Spydies, give him a PM and let us know.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I don’t think FDM printers are useful for knife scales. They just don’t look nice enough.

SLA can easily print something detailed enough to pass as a production knife scale. You’ll want to seal it with something as while hardened resin is relatively inert you’ll always have the nagging thought that it’s toxic. Epoxy spray paint would work well.

I haven’t experimented with the higher end engineering resins that are intended for this sort of application. The ABS-like resins are too brittle to withstand a drop without chipping. But it’s durable enough aside from that.

Could be fun to experiment with scale texture patterns.

If you’re motivated enough you could use SLA to create molds and injection mold a tougher plastic (maybe even FRN?).
Danke wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:03 pm
Some day you won't buy a knife. You'll buy a file and print your new knife at home.
No. Even if metal printing becomes something safe and affordable for consumers, you’ll need to hear treat the steel.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Here's a few pics of scales designed by Josh that I printed on an SLA printer.

-Turbo
Danke

Post by Danke »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:51 pm
I don’t think FDM printers are useful for knife scales. They just don’t look nice enough.

SLA can easily print something detailed enough to pass as a production knife scale. You’ll want to seal it with something as while hardened resin is relatively inert you’ll always have the nagging thought that it’s toxic. Epoxy spray paint would work well.

I haven’t experimented with the higher end engineering resins that are intended for this sort of application. The ABS-like resins are too brittle to withstand a drop without chipping. But it’s durable enough aside from that.

Could be fun to experiment with scale texture patterns.

If you’re motivated enough you could use SLA to create molds and injection mold a tougher plastic (maybe even FRN?).
Danke wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:03 pm
No. Even if metal printing becomes something safe and affordable for consumers, you’ll need to hear treat the steel.
Well now who said it had to be metal?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Danke wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:59 pm
I am not aware of any knife-worthy blade material that can be printed at home in any practical sense. Ceramic included.
Danke

Post by Danke »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:51 pm
Danke wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:59 pm
I am not aware of any knife-worthy blade material that can be printed at home in any practical sense. Ceramic included.
Well we are talking about the future. 20 years ago if you went around telling people you could have a 3D printer in your home with about the same footprint as a microwave you might have gotten yourself locked up (or at least laughed at).
Danke

Post by Danke »

Getting closer.

FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

I've printed quite a few different scales. SLA Resin is by far the best for details but ive done FDN scales as well and they are functional. No i'm on to making scales with the CNC out of wood, and other materials. It is truly amazing where technology has taken us in the last 20 years.
Spyderco Mule Scale Tutorial (1).jpg
Spyderco Paramilitary 2 Beside Mule Team Knife.jpg
Spyderco Paramilitary 2 Custom Handles.jpg
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

Injection molding isn’t an additive manufacturing process and is even more out of reach to amateur makers than forging or stock removal.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I designed and printed this Sharpmaker base to give me a couple additional angle options.
Attachments
IMG_20240212_090751_(1500_x_1125_pixel).jpg
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

ekastanis wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:48 am
Injection molding isn’t an additive manufacturing process and is even more out of reach to amateur makers than forging or stock removal.
Injection molding is absolutely additive and it’s not that out of reach. Some of older TheCrafsman videos on YouTube show some pretty low end production of molds. The actual injection is very simple.
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

zhyla wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:29 pm
ekastanis wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:48 am
Injection molding is absolutely additive and it’s not that out of reach. Some of older TheCrafsman videos on YouTube show some pretty low end production of molds. The actual injection is very simple.
Injection molding is a formative manufacturing process, not additive, which ASTM defines as
additive manufacturing (AM) technology ... applies the additive shaping principle and thereby builds physical three-dimensional (3D) geometries by successive addition of material.
My comment was along the thread of printing/making your own complete knife at home. Injection molding of HIC is a step in the opposite direction of that.