So, Sal, is the Caly3 model extinct ?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
destroid

Re: So, Sal, is the Caly3 model extinct ?!

Post by destroid »

Calypso Jr. fish-scale (FSFRN) would be fantastic.

Dare to dream:
SPY27/cobalt blue
LC200/salt green
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

The Caly Jr with fishscales was before my awareness of Spyderco. Based on its popularity and iconic status I have no doubt it would be a popular sprint run. I sure would get one.

I'm curious what steels would be available to the maker. I'm sure some would be easier to source for them than others. Maybe if Hap 40 is available, a Forrest Green color could be paired with FRN to match the Caly 3 version.

Sal, are you able to share what steel options would be on the table?

I love the burgundy scale color, but that probably wouldn't be duplicated.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

^ I love the idea of British racing green or forest green frn with laminated hap40 steel!
:bug-red-white
THG

Post by THG »

Is it possible for a future Caly Jr. sprint to be screw construction instead of pinned?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Maybe my memory is failing, but I seem to recall the Jr. being a one-piece molded handle. I don't know if it would require a new mold to change to a screw pivot, but if it does it probably shoots that idea down.
THG

Post by THG »

Could be the case. My only experience with the Caly Jr. is a stainless handle one which I thought was pinned like the SS Delicas and Enduras, but now that you mention it, maybe only the lock bar pivot was pinned. In fact, I think it might have been you that I sold that SS Caly Jr. to on eBay many years ago
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Screw or pinned just bring it back ASAP. This one could quench my thirst for my dream lw medium edc ; the XL Dfly. I only pray for a stainless steel.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

THG wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:36 am
Could be the case. My only experience with the Caly Jr. is a stainless handle one which I thought was pinned like the SS Delicas and Enduras, but now that you mention it, maybe only the lock bar pivot was pinned. In fact, I think it might have been you that I sold that SS Caly Jr. to on eBay many years ago
Entirely possible, I've bought a couple of stainless Calypso Jrs on ebay, and yes they are pinned together like the older SS Delica, Endura, Police, etc.

I just pulled out a fishscale FRN Jr and checked. The handle is molded in one piece. The rivet used for the pivot is substantial, so a screw pivot might be possible without a mold change, but I can't say the same for the lockbar pivot pin.
Tristan_david2001

This family of knives is like the culmination of in-house design features spyderco has used and developed on their knife designs the most throughout their history in the In-house product line.
-The in house edc folders have always been relatively slim and compact, designed for the pocket as much as for the hand. E.g the original clip it line (worker, hunter, harpy etc), the delica family.
-leaf shape blades. Spyderco has probably developed this blade shape the most on their folders.. they just make it a very versatile do it all shape.
-a thumb ramp and finger choil. Both features in house spydercos most often opt to include on their folders.
-Mid back lock. the most used lock in the in house spyderco design history ? I don’t know exactly but I’m confident it is.
-dropped angle blade handle relationship with a swell style handle shape.
I think these designs are game changers and I’m very happy they exist. the craft, talent and attention to detail put into these designs is inspiring. Thank you Sal of Spyderco for everything you’ve done
Last edited by Tristan_david2001 on Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

I'd be up for a SPY27/Cobalt Blue FRN, a CRUWEAR/Gray FRN, or even a ZDP/British Racing Green FRN Caly Jr Sprint. Of course, all three (eventually) would be fantastic! Undoubtedly a HAP40/Burnt Orange FRN would be in the mix somewhere. Even a V-Tofu/Gray-Blue FRN Sprint would be great. Perhaps get AEB-L into Japan for an AEB-L/Brown FRN Sprint? Heck, may as well round the model out with VG-10/Black FRN and K390/Blue FRN variants to boot!

Regardless, I'm most looking forward to whatever happens with the Caly Jr/full-size Calypso models, but the lightweight/FRN Calys have my attention, too.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Weeping Minora,

Me too. Right now we're working with the maker to see where it can go. They are a small maker and move more slowly.

Just found out they still have the tooling for a Calyso Jr with the fish scale bi-directional texture, and they can make a Sprint run of same. We can change color and steel. Thoughts?

sal
Tristan_david2001

sal wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:42 pm
Hi Weeping Minora,

Me too. Right now we're working with the maker to see where it can go. They are a small maker and move more slowly.

Just found out they still have the tooling for a Calyso Jr with the fish scale bi-directional texture, and they can make a Sprint run of same. We can change color and steel. Thoughts?

sal
I liked the idea of British racing green and zdp. Or maybe hap40
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

sal wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:42 pm
Hi Weeping Minora,

sal
Hi sal,

I'm going to post a poll thread with various options pitching this to the forum to get an overall interest for what folks would want. I'm with Tristan on this one; I'd like the ZDP/BRG combo with a black clip/yellow bug, but we'll see where the concensus goes.

ETA Poll Thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96255
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Weeping Minora,

Thanx for the effort. Considering the "other thread" on upping the price, keep in mind that the more expensive steels are more expensive to buy and work.

sal
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

sal wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:24 pm
Hi Weeping Minora,

Thanx for the effort. Considering the "other thread" on upping the price, keep in mind that the more expensive steels are more expensive to buy and work.

sal
Thanks, sal. Roger that. I appreciate the consideration for discussion and will share your sentiment within the poll thread.
sal

Post by sal »

Will do

sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Yes please on another Calypso - I foolishly missed the SB when I had the chance.
Tristan_david2001

I think I’d rather have a more basic steel like vg10 on the calypso’s to keep the price down if that means they could release it back in the original black linen micarta handle with steel liners, black and yellow bug clip with a yellow bug on the blade. Grail knife
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

I’d like whatever it takes to make it happen 😉
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Looking forward to the revival of this line. Is the Blue G10 UKPK in SPY27 the next available member of the Caly line?
- Richard