Different knife different day, or one knife for life?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
p_atrick

Re: Different knife different day, or one knife for life?

Post by p_atrick »

There is a certain part of me that likes the idea of having that "one knife" that you carry day-in and day-out. The scales get worn in ways unique to you, which gives your knife character. I find the stories here about knives that have been a constant companion for 10+ years to be really interesting. I also dislike the idea of investing a non-trival amount of money into something that just sits there unused most of the time.

But then I always seem to find myself wanting to try something new. Not because I have an actual need for it, but simply because I want to. It is hard to reconcile these two desires, especially since local laws can be restrictive. Why get a knife that will see so little carry time outside my apartment? (Hint: some of these knifes that are "illegal" are truly awesome!)

One thing that has worked for me is to get a knife with a lot of sentimental value. For me, it is a Delica with some custom wooden scales. I'm not afraid to carry it, so it isn't a safe queen. I value the knife so much that I have a hard time talking myself into getting a new knife in that relative size category. Why would I want something that would take away pocket time from this Delica? Of course, I still feel the desire to get knives in different categories (like longer blade length), so I don't have this thing fully figured out yet.

EDIT - fixed some typos and improved readability
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

For me, I carry whichever knife suits my wardrobe and my expected use. I carry two knives. One keyring knife and one larger, usually in the 2.8" to 3" range. If not that, then a keyring knife and a 3.4" to 4" bladed folder. Again, it depends on what I expect to do. Going to the grocery store does not require me to carry a 4" folder. Usually, I carry a UKPK or a Buck 302 or a SAK.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I have a ton of knives (thanks factory seconds sales!) that I keep in SpyderPacs. What I do is select 5 (3 tip up for the right pocket and 2 tip down for the left) to put into rotation for a month or so. This way I'm only picking out of 3 knives for one pocket and 2 for the other. After about a month, I'll put them back in the SpyderPacs and select another 5 to be my rotation.

This keeps my daily choices fairly easy, but also ensures I make my way through my collection.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I like a variety. I let the day decide
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

How did I get here? In a roundabout way. The decision about which knife to carry boiled down to situations in which I would have to defend myself.

It's tricky. I started by reading a lot of books and magazine articles on world events and war back in the 70's and that continued on and off up through the year 2000. Until 1986 I assumed I would end up in the US Marine Corps, and until they booted me on a heart murmur, that is what I thought. I prepared myself for that eventual day but was denied. I worked out, did martial arts and physically and mentally prepared for service, but when denied the information collected did not go away, it then was used to secure my safety on the general population.

You would think knife selection would be easy, but I was at the mercy of knife designers and location. What is the perfect self defense tool? I was no longer being outfit for the military and I could not carry a 5 to 30 inch edged weapon around in the state in which I live. Laws regulating me to a 3 inch knife blade for a misdemeanor charge meant options were limited.

I bought more than 90 knives, spent around $20,000US, most of the knives were for combatives use. In the end I settled on a Spyderco Native Chief for EDC. There is a lot to this story, this is the most simple answer that I can give.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

JayHenMac wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:07 am
I tried to explain this to my wife, but she simply didn't understand.
Tell her it's like women's shoes, or handbags. They all look alike to the man but to the woman they are vastly different.

I put my knives in a rotation, when I get ready to switch to another knife I pick the next one in my rotation. I don't have to agonize about it and all of my knives get carried and used. Occasionally I put the rotation in a different order. If I pick a knife from the rotation and I don't want to carry it I will give it a few more tries then I might take it out of the rotation.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Found myself pulling a Delica out more than ever most days lately. More of a size considered not scary in the work I have been doing lately.
(I get to use a knife in a airport :shush )
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Well I don’t have nearly the collection as some here (around 50?) but I do see where you’re coming from on daily selections…it kinda depends on what I’m doing or where I’m going but usually I’ll carry one SE and one PE with one being a salt…of course when fishing,hunting, camping a fixed blade comes along…I keep most of my knives lined up on a table in the ol’ man cave and come morning I just go down the line till something strikes my fancy…with the exception of the Dfly salt SE I switch it up a lot…here lately I’ve really enjoyed using tool steel but deep down I’m a salt junky 😉
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

I'm in the rotating subset of a larger collection group. I have most of the collection tucked away in one of those HF Apache hardsided cases, with a handful of knives in a dresser drawer. I pick from the dresser drawer each morning, and once every couple weeks or month or whatever I'll haul the Apache case into the bedroom and swap out what's in the drawer to pick from.
MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Spyderfreek wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:12 pm
I just stare into the knife drawer until I'm about to be late for work.
:')
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Fortunately my limited budget has prevented me from having this issue. :') I only have one choice of folder these days, and just a few choices of fixed blade, so my decision making is pretty limited for me and I have no trouble using all of my knives as much as I wish to.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
James Y

Post by James Y »

Back from the mid-'80s to 1997 (when I discovered one-hand opening folders), I carried only one pocketknife, a Victorinox Spartan SAK, that I used for all of my carry knife (and some other tools) uses.

I have many Spyderco knives, more than some here, but far fewer than probably most around here. I tend to carry certain knives a lot. Then one day I'll switch to another model, but often will go back to one of my few favorites. I almost never switch them out on a daily basis.

Sometimes I kinda wish I only had one good Spyderco knife that was my one and only clip carry knife. I would still also carry a SAK in my other pocket with it, though. Carrying and using only the same knife every day, no matter what, is actually very freeing. I know that would probably sound sacrilegious to many around here.

Jim
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I think I'm slowing down, both in new knife purchases and in the need t0 switch knives from day to day.

I think I could probably get away with a Shaman, Stretch (esp. XL), PM2, or Military and be fine for life. Maybe 2, so I would always have one sharp.

That said... where's the fun on limiting yourself? I do the same thing as Jay.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

I do have a couple knife drawers full of users. But Para 3 rex45, native 5 magnacut, manix Maxamet, pm2 15v are the most carried Spyderco. If I had hindsight those would be all I needed. Collecting is not only a passion, it’s a habit/addiction. As far as what you need it’s not many. I carry 5-7 different knives in a rotation normally. But those 4 are most of the time in my pocket. I will admit 1 knife is all most need. But that’s not fun.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

You have to carry a lot of knives before you know which are superb for you.

One of my early purchases was a Caly Jr, and after many, many knives owned in the meantime, I now know with confidence and experience, that the Caly Jr is superb.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

For about 20 years, I carried different iterations of Delicas in pocket every day. Then for about 10 years, I switched to carrying Stretch every day. It was simple and easy. I used my knives and was glad to have them with me.

Then for health reason, I retired. I have been trying a variety of different knives but don't have the various impromptu opportunities to use a knife like I used to. So I have started using my knives for chores around the house, in the kitchen, gardening, and basically whenever and wherever I can.

Going out, I usually have a Delica as a backup and then rotate through a variety of others that I've been trying out to determine which ones I really like (or don't). But my in house use has moved some knives into the maybe category and others into the sell category. Eventually, I will narrow things down to a "reasonable" number, but I haven't determined that figure yet - lol.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
The Aflac Duck

Post by The Aflac Duck »

For me, collecting and interest comes in waves. I might be really into autos for a few months, then my attention goes to knives with an Axis lock, or it shifts to Spyderco for a while, etc…. I’ve learned not to sell knives, because most times I’m kicking myself a few months down the line.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

The Delica finds its way into my pocket more than anything else. I’m considering upgrading the K390 version
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:34 am
One of my early purchases was a Caly Jr, and after many, many knives owned in the meantime, I now know with confidence and experience, that the Caly Jr is superb.

This touches on an interesting question I once even tried to discuss in a dedicated thread (but could not really bring my point across in English) - something along the lines of :

- How much (if at all) is what one prefers in folders shaped and influenced by what one "knows best", got used to, "learned" to do knife tasks with - ?

In my case the Endura is the second Spyderco model I ever got, and the third "quality" folder overall (before it came Delica and BM Minigriptillian, both just too short in edge for having the potential to become really universal do-it-all EDCs)

The Endura still is my favorite folder ever, and a version of it would be my choice for the infamious "if you could only have one" question.

Now:

- Did I just get lucky in that my second Spyderco and first quality folder in the for me "right" size already turned out to be my favorite? And none of the great models that came afterwards could change that in the end?

- Or is it more like that the Endura exactly IS my favorite cause I am so used to it, "learned" to do every knife task perfectly well with that particular model and feel instinctively "at home" when grabbing one of mine?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:35 am
- Did I just get lucky in that my second Spyderco and first quality folder in the for me "right" size already turned out to be my favorite? And none of the great models that came afterwards could change that in the end?

- Or is it more like that the Endura exactly IS my favorite cause I am so used to it, "learned" to do every knife task perfectly well with that particular model and feel instinctively "at home" when grabbing one of mine?

It's an excellent question. Like you, I have many questions about how knife preferences form, and sometimes persist, and sometimes change. It's the psychological side of knife ownership, I suppose. It's possible my early-purchase Caly Jr. shaped my preferences. On the other hand, a lot of knives I bought early on (before I became a Spyderco die-hard), did not! Most of my old knives I consider "uncarryable" today, many with poor steel, but many with poor designs too.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189