Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Superflex wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:53 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:29 pm
Pretty sure when this dropped and I got mine a couple years ago it was $400. So definitely more now (and not worth it imo)
Pretty sure previously in this thread, you said it wasn't worth $400, but you still bought one.
Good thing it's not a pansy color, or we would never hear the end of it. :yawn
Yea, I bought one...and then sold it, because it wasn't worth the $400 to me. How about that!! :*

For being "Superflex", you sure are soft. I haven't said anything about scale colors in a good year or two now!! Still hung up on it though huh?? :rainbow
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
GonzoRider

Post by GonzoRider »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:54 am
Superflex wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:53 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:29 pm
Pretty sure when this dropped and I got mine a couple years ago it was $400. So definitely more now (and not worth it imo)
Pretty sure previously in this thread, you said it wasn't worth $400, but you still bought one.
Good thing it's not a pansy color, or we would never hear the end of it. :yawn
Yea, I bought one...and then sold it, because it wasn't worth the $400 to me. How about that!! :*

For being "Superflex", you sure are soft. I haven't said anything about scale colors in a good year or two now!! Still hung up on it though huh?? :rainbow
It must've been bothering you since you decided to come back and edit your post. But yeah he's soft. Rainbows and snowflakes and such :smirk
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
fixall

Post by fixall »

I'm stoked that this is coming back for the people who missed out on the first Knifejoy release (or the original Bowie for that matter).

I personally really enjoy mine. I have knives ranging in value from $50 - $1,600 and think it faces off very well against other ~$400 - $500 knives in my collection. In fact, the addition of an overtravel stop and lockbar insert is worth the extra $50 to me, so I might by another and sell off my older KJ version.

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:24 pm
New Features:

Added Lockbar Insert/Overtravel Stop

I'm not a frame lock guy so can someone explain what this means?

The lockbar insert is to reduce sticking when trying to unlock the blade? And is replaceable if the lockbar wears down and gets too short over time? Did I hear somewhere that titanium lockbars are prone to stick if they don't have the insert?

The overtravel stop is to keep you from wedging the lockbar too tightly against the blade? Doesn't the angle cut on the back of the blade where the lockbar engages, do that already? Or does the overtravel stop engage when you UNlock the lockbar? Is it to keep the owner from bending the lockbar outward too far on unlock?

Is the LI and the OS the same mechanism, or two different mechanisms?

Is this what we're talking about? https://www.rickhindererknives.com/rick ... tabilizer/
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:47 pm

The lockbar insert is to reduce sticking when trying to unlock the blade? And is replaceable if the lockbar wears down and gets too short over time? Did I hear somewhere that titanium lockbars are prone to stick if they don't have the insert?
Correct, Ti on steel is more susceptible to galling than steel/steel. Ti can be treated to alleviate this, though. And some manufacturers have advertised replaceable inserts though I'm not sure how common that is or if Spyderco's usually are.

Bolster wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:47 pm

The overtravel stop is to keep you from wedging the lockbar too tightly against the blade? Doesn't the angle cut on the back of the blade where the lockbar engages, do that already? Or does the overtravel stop engage when you UNlock the lockbar? Is it to keep the owner from bending the lockbar outward too far on unlock?

Is the LI and the OS the same mechanism, or two different mechanisms?
The overtravel stop keeps the lockbar from being bent too far out when unlocking.

The Hinderer-style overtravel stop is only an OS. In other Taichung models, Spyderco has previously used a combined LI/OS design. See the Domino pics below - the LI has a tab sticking up past the lockbar that will catch on the rest of the Ti scale to keep it from being pressed too far out. (for what it's worth I don't find the overtravel stop necessary on the Domino; I basically unlock just enough to get the detent ball back on the blade tang and never hit the OS.)

Obviously no guarantee the Slysz Bowie will use this setup but seems possible from what Taichung's done before.

MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Thanks for the explanation and the photos, now I understand. I just checked my only framelock, the Sage 2, and it does not have this detail. Looks like a nice upgrade.

I like the look of the Slysz Bowie, but I doubt I'd buy one. I have difficulty using blades with big bellies. I'll content myself with admiring the photos that you guys post.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I just want one in green.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

To anyone that owns Slysz knives:

Is the opening similar between the Bowie and the Chef? Both the Chef and the Techno2 seem to be easy to open. But I found the Swayback to be more difficult to open via the Spydie hole. Maybe it is the size of my thumb, but the Swayback just doesn't seem to work well for me.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
Danke

Post by Danke »

kriezek wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:09 am

Is the opening similar between the Bowie and the Chef? Both the Chef and the Techno2 seem to be easy to open. But I found the Swayback to be more difficult to open via the Spydie hole. Maybe it is the size of my thumb, but the Swayback just doesn't seem to work well for me.
So I have a Swayback and a Spidiechef and they both pop for me (never held a Bowie).

The trick is when I open the Spidiechef I flick forward. With the Swayback I flick down.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It IS a good looking knife though isn't it? I guess I should never say never. The upgrades are a nice touch.

I probably spent close to that on this Maxamet PM2
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

kriezek wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:09 am

I own the Bowie and used to have the chef. The Bowie is definitely smoother and is easy to flick out with the thumb; but no middle finger Spydie flick on the Bowie, unless you use your left hand, then it flicks out very well.
I really want this new blue one with the over travel stop. I hope it drops right after pay day hehe.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:35 am
It IS a good looking knife though isn't it? I guess I should never say never. The upgrades are a nice touch.

I probably spent close to that on this Maxamet PM2
This is a beautiful specimen
MRj “Weak things break!”
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Mrj wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:21 pm
This is a beautiful specimen
Thanks! Flytanium hardware and Lynch Scales. The Lynch scales are cool, it only uses one liner, the lock side. The other scale is linerless Titanium. That has to help with a better fit.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
NorthB

Post by NorthB »

Just got a swayback-convinced I would never open it with on hand. Found you need to press your thumb into the hole, at the same time squeeze with your other fingers on the opposite scale and flick your thumb. Not easy but glad I figured it out. Was ready to take a dremel to the thumb notch.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear NorthB:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Danke

Post by Danke »

Most knives you flick along the X axis. On a Swayback if you flick along the Y axis it will pop open like any other.

Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I’ve never handled one before and (and this is probably hype) but I am really interested. Part of me wants to pull the trigger when these drop, but the other part tells me I can get a Sebenza in Magnacut for $50 more, or a Les George VECP button lock in Magnacut for $425.

I know this is subjective, but to you die hard Slysz Bowie fans, is it really worth it?
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

I’ve never handled one either but it is on my Spyderco grail list along with the Paysan and Nirvana…the new Knifejoy exclusive really is peaking my interest too 🤔
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

Freediver wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:39 pm
I can get a Sebenza in Magnacut for $50 more, or a Les George VECP button lock in Magnacut for $425
That’s what I keep coming back to, also. Aside from scarcity induced FOMO, there’s really nothing exceptional about this knife in my opinion.
GonzoRider

Post by GonzoRider »

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST