MT40P – HIC Mule Team Dropping Soon!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Fireman

Re: MT40P – HIC Mule Team Dropping Soon!

Post by Fireman »

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
vanka

Post by vanka »

Alarm set. It's a difficult moment because I'm already three knives in for January but I'll try to push myself for this one. Good luck everyone.
xnmw

Post by xnmw »

This should still be a good fit for the leather sheath? Handle will be the same for the factory G10 scales?
Looking forward to snagging one if I can. If anyone has any ideas for the handle I'm all ears--I was thinking micarta or even something like cork
francois

Post by francois »

Oh cool, the time zone makes it a 5PM event here so I'll give it a try :)

Are there things to know WRT ordering one, like "add to your cart and rush to pay before someone else does" or is it just about adding the blade (or 2) and then I can just take my sweet time to add more stuff to it?
(Just want to set the expectations, I wouldn't like to get to the end of the order just to read I wasn't quick enough to type my CC details)

Thanks in advance for your veteran feedbacks!

Cheers,
--
François.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I would suggest doing your shopping before the drop. Add the Mule(s) and head for the checkout. That's how I've done it for years.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

francois wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:49 am
Oh cool, the time zone makes it a 5PM event here so I'll give it a try :)

Are there things to know WRT ordering one, like "add to your cart and rush to pay before someone else does" or is it just about adding the blade (or 2) and then I can just take my sweet time to add more stuff to it?
(Just want to set the expectations, I wouldn't like to get to the end of the order just to read I wasn't quick enough to type my CC details)

Thanks in advance for your veteran feedbacks!

Cheers,
That's good advice from Yabs! I will add a couple things to my cart right before the deadline even if I don't intend to purchase them just to have my details in order and will adjust just what I want before confirmation.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

What does everyone think the demand will be on these? I mean some like MagnaCut and Z-Max sold out in minutes while others are on the site for months. I am guessing the $150 price tag will slow some people down, but this is something totally different and unique so the demand might be there.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
francois

Post by francois »

Thanks for the tips!
I'll try to play then, but most likely for a single one since it's mostly for the uniqueness factor (and FOMO...)

Cheers,
--
François.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

$150 has slowed me down and not sticking to my magnetic knife rack… ',:-|

Probably kick myself for not being on these, but it’s the steel for me :tonque-out

Will order a few Spy27 or others Mules before the drop for the excitement of Mule drop :grin-sweat
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

standy99 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:57 pm
Hmm, maybe a set of stainless steel scales would remedy that?
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

Hoping they have a large batch cuz I think demand will be high due to the uniqueness of the offering. While it states that the Boltaron sheath won't fit, can anyone answer if the leather sheath fits?
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I have NO idea how this will work out as a knife. But I am certainly curious and will go for 1 just to find out. Maybe 2 depending on my mood and how I feel at the time about spending that much $$$. Not exactly pocket change for me anyway.

But I think it is really cool that Spyderco is doing this. I can't even imagine what goes on to fabricate one of these.
CLOK

Post by CLOK »

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... heath/2517

There is the dedicated sheath. I am sure it will be available when the knife is posted live for sale.
Brant

Post by Brant »

Is this the thickest blade ever made with this material? The kitchen knives look really slim compared to the stats here.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Would love to give it a try, but with int. shipping, import fees etc. the entry fee to play feels a bit too high.
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

It's a little pricey but super unique and I am extremely interested to try it out.

Might have ti figure out a non metallic mounting system for my resin handles for a totally non metallic knife.
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
sal

Post by sal »

It was a very challenging Mule to make. Zoom meetings with the manufacturer in Switerland, special tooling, special handling and drilling. Sharpening challenges. Actually, as Brant mentioned, it's thicker than a kitchen knife, so it's more of a "Sport Knife", than a kitchen knife. Nothing quite like it on the market.

We made a bunch of them, otherwise it could not have covered the very expensive tooling. I've been using one for a while. I sharpen it on the CBN "Cat's eye" on the Gauntlet, using very light strokes. Works OK, but I'm challenging the very bright folks here to come up with better ways to sharpen it and get it sharp enough to shave?

CATRA tests showed working hardness to be exceptional.

sal
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

sal wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:29 pm
We made a bunch of them, ...
sal
Ok, if it's there when I wake up, I'll contribute to the plan. :clinking-mugs
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Challenge accepted. I've got a few ideas up my sleeve from my stone carving and polishing experience. With its hardness and composition I might expect it to act more like stone than steel.

Maybe a 50k diamond soft bonded water cooled wheel. Or cerium oxide on hard leather or hardwood? Lots of ideas and things to test once I get my hands on one.

Thanks for all the hard work putting this together Sal. This should be a fun one.
sal wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:29 pm
It was a very challenging Mule to make. Zoom meetings with the manufacturer in Switerland, special tooling, special handling and drilling. Sharpening challenges. Actually, as Brant mentioned, it's thicker than a kitchen knife, so it's more of a "Sport Knife", than a kitchen knife. Nothing quite like it on the market.

We made a bunch of them, otherwise it could not have covered the very expensive tooling. I've been using one for a while. I sharpen it on the CBN "Cat's eye" on the Gauntlet, using very light strokes. Works OK, but I'm challenging the very bright folks here to come up with better ways to sharpen it and get it sharp enough to shave?

CATRA tests showed working hardness to be exceptional.

sal
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

kennbr34 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:25 pm
standy99 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:57 pm
Hmm, maybe a set of stainless steel scales would remedy that?
Or stainless liners?