New Tenacious Frame Lock in D2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cjk

Re: New Tenacious Frame Lock in D2?

Post by cjk »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:09 pm
cjk wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:02 pm
I find lightning anodizing unattractive. I’m sure some folks like it. I find it to be an odd choice.
I feel similarly. I also think Fat Carbon looks silly.

I think it's an attempt to appeal to the Civivi/CJRB/Kizer fans.
Maybe. However I think fat carbon jungle wear and green dark matter are pretty much the cat’s meow. :smlling-eyes
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Skidoosh wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:20 pm
The Tenacious D
No. This is just a tribute.

D2 is a great budget steel. Pairing that with titanium is a little odd these days but no functional reason not to.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

kennethsime wrote:
cjk wrote:
I find lightning anodizing unattractive. I’m sure some folks like it. I find it to be an odd choice.

I get the feeling you do not know fatt carbon is a maker/dealer of materials and not a material itself ?
You probably do not like some of there products but i find the chance very small you dislike everything they have since they have a very diverse product line.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

apollo wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:25 am
kennethsime wrote:
cjk wrote:

I get the feeling you do not know fatt carbon is a maker/dealer of materials and not a material itself ?
You probably do not like some of there products but i find the chance very small you dislike everything they have since they have a very diverse product line.
You’re right- turns out I don’t much care for their Design Series Composites Carbon Fiber products, as used on a wide variety of folding pocket knives over the last two years or so. Turns out they make other stuff too. You’ll forgive my mistake, of course: most knife companies seem to describe their scales as “fat carbon,” or at best “fat carbon jungle wear,” and exclude the other qualifies.

No shade on the company, I just don’t love the aesthetic - a bit flashy for my taste.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Saw a shot show clip from a few days back where they showed this off. What a weird looking knife but it looks like they’ve stepped up a tier in Chinese OEM’s.

I’m really curious what the price will be. I think it should be $75 but there’s no way Spyderco will price it that low. Guess we will find out in a few months.

That anodizing looks terrible. Hopefully they have some other options.
apollo

Post by apollo »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:19 am
apollo wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:25 am
kennethsime wrote:
cjk wrote:

You’re right- turns out I don’t much care for their Design Series Composites Carbon Fiber products, as used on a wide variety of folding pocket knives over the last two years or so. Turns out they make other stuff too. You’ll forgive my mistake, of course: most knife companies seem to describe their scales as “fat carbon,” or at best “fat carbon jungle wear,” and exclude the other qualifies.

No shade on the company, I just don’t love the aesthetic - a bit flashy for my taste.
Dont worry no forgiving needed. Just wanted to share some info with you.
Personally most of the flashy ones i do not like myself. I do have custom scales in other materials they make that i am very happy for.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Well, I like it.
Would not necessarily have needed that (kind of) anodization, but it´s just fine.

Also wonder what the weight will be like - I have actually been wishing for a Tenacious TRUE lighweight for quite some time now - so FRN (or G10), as linerless as possible, in the Manix 2 LW weight range.
This is something the frame lock Tenacious will not be, but I in a titanium frame lock folder I actually don´t look for light weight anyway.

Generally it seems like Spyderco is really investing in the Tenacious (and, considering what Eric hints in the vid, also its smaller and larger siblings):
I mean, actually designing and making a "new" handle is something else than "just" giving the already existing linerlock FRN or G10 handles another steel option...

Wonder how long it will be till someone asks for a Tenacious Salt... :smirk (yes, I am aware of that (so far) they don´t do Salts in Chinese Spydies)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Titanium framelock is one of my two favorite categories of folder, the other being a liner lock. So I'm big-time interested in this Tenacious. I have no problem with D2, either. I'd rather have a raw Ti handle, or a different anodization, but that won't keep me from buying, if the price is reasonable.

For some reason, I can't draw a bead on a price point for this baby. Too many variables: budget steel, expensive handle material, anodizing, made in China, Spyderco prices often higher than expected, 2024+ pricing... :thinking
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Coastal wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:44 pm
For some reason, I can't draw a bead on a price point for this baby.
Titanium. Spyderco. It’s going to be $120 minimum.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:19 pm
Coastal wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:44 pm
For some reason, I can't draw a bead on a price point for this baby.
Titanium. Spyderco. It’s going to be $120 minimum.
the S35VN Tenacious is currently $112.00 on BHQ, the M4 model is $133.00. I bet this is a $200.00 knife.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:09 pm
I bet this is a $200.00 knife.
Could be. That would be insane. I’m not saying you’re wrong but it just seems way too high.

For reference here’s a Steel Will titanium frame lock with D2 blade. Spyderco likely has higher standards than Steel Will. Spyderco obviously prices their knives higher than budget brands as well.

I’m putting my money on $135 price point.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Yea, you might be a lot closer than me, definitely without going over lol. Either way, I bet I wait till a MAP holiday sale for this one.

Coastal

Post by Coastal »

If zhyla is correct, this is an automatic buy.

I initially thought $200+, but then I remembered it's pretty easy to find decent Chinese D2 folders for around $50, so factor in Ti and the Spyderco brand, and I'm thinking $175...ish? At that price I'll wait for the holiday sale as well.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Yeah don’t get too excited guys. Spyderco’s pricing is always higher than I think the market could bear. And their Chinese knives don’t always pan out price wise (Alcyone/Polestar 😞).
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:53 am
Yeah don’t get too excited guys. Spyderco’s pricing is always higher than I think the market could bear. And their Chinese knives don’t always pan out price wise (Alcyone/Polestar 😞).
Just to give y'all an idea of the current market and what is coming from the potential outsourcing partners here, TwoSun's titanium frame locks in D2 are mostly under $100 at US retailers and some get closer to $60. The D2 models with fancy anodization are closer to $100. Here are a couple of examples.

Kubey seems to have moved away from titanium frame locks in D2 but most had an MSRP of $125. Their current titanium frame locks in 14C28N all run about $100 at US retailers. To see an example of their fancy anodization, here is one in M390 for $165.

CH's titanium frame locks with this kind finish in any steel are mostly around $125 but are usually not available at US retailers.

Of course, all indicators point to higher pricing from Spyderco. They could surprise us but I doubt it.
apollo

Post by apollo »

Well since the m4 tenacious is 175€ here i presume this one will be at least 200€.
I think spyderco will not really place the tag of budget knife on this one. So i would be amazed if its cheaper then 200 myself.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Someone needs to send one to The Advanced Knife Bro for review. It looks glorious
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

chronovore wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:32 pm
They could surprise us but I doubt it.
Think about what happens if they price this knife at $100. It undercuts nearly every Golden, Seki, and Taichung knife. Massive cannibalization. I don’t think they can do it with the current pricing structures.
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

apollo wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:53 pm
Well since the m4 tenacious is 175€ here i presume this one will be at least 200€.
I think spyderco will not really place the tag of budget knife on this one. So i would be amazed if its cheaper then 200 myself.
You and others are probably right here. It is going to continue the trend of Chinese Spydies that cost more than they should given the materials.

Sure, it will be a rad titanium frame lock in Chinese D2. Unfortunately, it might end up costing more than equally rad titanium frame locks in M390, S35VN, or even S90V that are made in the same factory or just down the street. Worse, it'll be a rad titanium frame lock with the same blade steel as a $30 knife from Petrified Fish...
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

electro-static wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:16 pm
Someone needs to send one to The Advanced Knife Bro for review. It looks glorious
Love that guy. I think he'd do it justice.