"Talkin' Story" with Mr. Sal Glesser

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JSumm

Re: "Talkin' Story" with Mr. Sal Glesser

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:56 pm
Talkin' Story;

One of the problems that we had early on with our designs was copies/counterfeits. Our designs were very unique and identifiable. As the cost of manufacture kept going up in Japan, we had to try to offer lower cost versions to combat the copies. The C05 "Economy", which later had a name change to "Standard" was the first of these lower cost versions.

Part of the cost of our models was the clip, screws for the clip and labor to mount the clip. Another was the blade steel which was Hitachi's Gingami 1. (We called the steel G2 at the time, as Gingami had been promised to a competitor that had more clout than we did. G2 stood for "Good **** also". We always included the chemistry with the knives so our customers would know what they were getting).

I designed the C05 with an integral clip built into the outside scale (2 scales on the clip side) and by using a less expensive steel in the blade (Aichi's AUS-6). After much use, we learned that the clip could "scissor" the pocket so we eventually changed to an added clip. The next lower cost strategy was to make FRN versions. That was the C10 and C1l, which we still make today.

Later on, we began making some models in China to serve that lower cost need.

sal

"Continual improvement is our evolutionary obligation to humankind"
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

What a KILLER thread!!! Thanks Jeff and Sal 👏
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:17 pm
Interesting discussion. Thanx much.

Just Talkin" Story:

Like many of my designs, I tend to be pretty OCD and it's not uncommon for a design to take a year or two to refine to where I think it's ready for you. The Shaman project took more than 2 years for the original and another year for the "variations" ( Bodacious & Edgerati ). We build the original model as a test bed for the design/concept. The variations will be likewise. If the Design/Concept is well received, then we use your suggestions for material changes for us and for Sprints and Exclusives.

sal
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:43 pm
Just Talkin' Story

There was some discussion about making a regular size Native as a Slippie back when we were designing the UKPK with the group at British Blades forum. At the time, There was some concern about the appearance of the Native with its wide thick blade and full grip. We finally opted for what became the UKPK, which has been surprisingly well received for a "modern" slip-joint, though it took 20 years. There is a lesson there.

As I remember, we made a Native Slippie and I believe I sent it to Danzo as I owed him a favor. Since we're on the subject, I'd like to see response on the thread. I'll make a Native Slippie prototype. I have received a few "requests" from the Brits on the "Edge Matters" Forum. (A great group FYI), Which I will be forwarding to management planning. I will include the regular size Native Slippie as part of the list. We're making a selling quite a few Slippies at this time. So a time for a Native variation might be now?

Nothing until next summer when the expansion will be finished. But we're planning now for new models to be introduced.

sal
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

A Native “slippie” seems like it would be well received, coming out of Golden. The Native design is both practical and handsome. Locks confound some users.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:55 am
A Native “slippie” seems like it would be well received, coming out of Golden. The Native design is both practical and handsome. Locks confound some users.
I know it would be an instant purchase from me, even if I have to admit that Mr. N5 tends to go towards other designs as of late !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

S110V Native 5(?) Slipit…. Take my money… Please !
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:20 pm
Talkin' Story;

As mentioned, the Caly 3 was a mid lock-back version of the UKPK, which was essentially designed by a group of British forumites on the original "British Blades" forum to service the need created by new British knife laws.

The original Calypso jr. didn't do as well as hoped and the larger Calypso didn't fair much better. I tried again with the Caly 3 though we did have a number of problems as the very skilled maker's family in Japan had a series of bad luck health setbacks from which they are just now recovering. (heart attacks, strokes, aneurysms, deaths, etc.) For a long time, we feared they would not recover. It's a multi generation relationship.

The current plan includes; a continuation of the Caly 3 in traditional carbon fiber, a Caly 3.5 (3.5" blade) in both traditional carbon fiber and a light weight version. A Caly 4 (4.0" blade) in carbon fiber. A Caly 2.5 (2.5" blade). And a necklace pendant miniature (non locking) in 4 handle variations. This will increase the size of the "family" and assuming all goes well, we can make variations (requested by you) in different materials.

Several years ago, a Mountain lion snatched a 4 year old boy from between his parents in a park in Texas, the boy's father chased the cat that was dragging the boy, into the forest. When he found them, the cat had his mouth over the boy's face trying to suffocate the boy. The father pounded on the cat with his fists, which he said had no effect. He remembered he had a Caly 3.5 in his pocket,which he opened and stabbed the cat in his side. He said he was surprised by how easily the blade penetrated the cat. At that point the cat ran off. The Dad's a real Hero, he saved his son and the family is safe from a harrowing experience. Local authorities found the cat dead in the forest not far off from the incident.

The Caly series is a particularly favorite design/concept for me as it has a very efficient blade shape for most tasks, mated to a fairly diminutive handle that is quite ergonomic. In the 3.5 and 4.0, the blade appears too large to fit into the handle, so there is a lot of blade in as easily carried package. It's really a combination of two family's working together to do this. Some see it as a gents folder, but the design has proven to handle harder tasks than it appears to be able to do.

It will not likely be a high volume series, even as a light weight due to the limited capacity of the maker, but we are pleased and proud to be able to provide this unusual folder series to you. We are also pleased that the original maker will be crafting them.

sal

"Continual improvement is our evolutionary obligation to humankind"
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:13 pm
Talkin’ Story;

My wife, Gail, and I are sailors and divers and so we've always been looking for a good rust resistant material with which to make a salt water knife. It’s really challenging because an edge rusts first because it is exposed on both sides. Some companies chrome plated their knives to prevent rust, but when the edge was sharpened, the chrome was gone, so it was the first part of the knife to rust.

Over the years we've tested a lot of materials. We tested a variety of ceramics from different suppliers. We tested different alloys of Titanium. We tested all kinds of steels that were supposed to be rust proof and nothing really worked. In fact I remember one test piece that a custom knife maker made for us. He said his steel would never rust, and so I was holding his knife in my hand as I dropped off the boat and as I was descending down into the water, I could see the rust forming on the blade while it was in my hand. By the time I reached 40 feet it was completely rusted. LOL.

The first Nitrogen steel (that I am aware of) which was created in Europe was called Cronidor 30. We tried to buy it but the foundry wouldn't sell it to us for two reasons; 1) We were an international company and they feared that if we sent knives made with Cronidor to an unfriendly country, they could reverse engineer the chemistry and knock it off without honoring their patent, and 2) was that NASA was buying all they could make for ball bearings.

The next Nitrogen steel to come along was the Japanese steel H1. After a lot of testing, we decided that H1 would work for us and so we jumped on it pretty hard. In our testing, we found out that the plain edge H1 was not the best for edge retention, but it sharpened up easily and as Vivi said, worked better with a Coarse edge. We were surprised by the edge retention of the serrated version which is unusually effective.

Later on, after the patents ran out on Cronidor 30, an associate in the industry was able to get it for us but we had to call it LC200N as the name Cronidor 30 was trademarked. It also proved to be very good in testing and so we added it to our salt line.

Then Larrin Thomas designed MagnaCut. We've known Larrin for a long time and we knew of his experience and knowledge, so we were sure that MagnaCut would be a very good steel. It wasn't a Nitrogen based Steel, but In our testing, we also learned that it was exceptional for corrosion resistance. Eric and the R&D team continued testing in that area and eventually decided that we could make it as a Salt model.

There are other steels being developed for corrosion resistance and I'm sure more will come along. We are very fortunate to be living in a time when the technological advancements in blades keeps improving "the cut".

sal

"Continual improvement is our evolutionary obligation to humankind".
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
sal

Post by sal »

Transported from Bladeforums;

Talkin' Story;

The Chaparral project was a personal thing for me. My first attempt was with the Solo series which was made in Japan and was a "Lobe Opener" pocket knife with no clip. This was in the late '80's. We made a number of models in two sizes, but the concept was short lived due to limitations in what materials the maker could work with. We're currently making a display for the store to show the early Solo series.

The Kopa was the 2nd attempt. I did the Kopa project with many variations, same model with different handles materials, but we reached a point where the maker was not able to follow the plan. So we ended the Kopa project, which became a very valuable collection for those that had them all. Really hard to find Kopa's now. We have a display in the store to show the models.

I know of one person that had an entire Kopa series that was stolen from them and the insurance payout for the loss was based on value, which turned out to be very high.

Then I began the Chaparral project with a new maker, but with the same spirit in mind of the Solo and Kopa series. The "Stealth" model, which has the titanium triangles at different depths, was actually the first design, but nailing down the triangles was taking a long time, so we created the Carbon Fiber version to introduce the line and concept.

The steel that I wanted to use, Carpenter's CTS-XHP, was still being refined and wasn't ready for production, so we used CPM S30V for the first model, Carbon Fiber. The Kopa series was limited production numbers (Sprints), which presented difficulties so I decided to make the Chaparrals as regular models and would continue them as long as sales were strong enough to support the inventory. The second model, the "Stealth" version was then released after the Carbon Fiber version. The "Stepped" Titanium model was the 3rd which we did with blue anodizing and without the blue anodizing. It's interesting to note that while it appears to have curves in the handle, the entire scale is made up of only straight lines. It's a bit of an optical illusion, that I learned to draw as a child in school.

The Sun / Moon version was a concept that was originally introduced with the Solo series, but we used Micarta, which wasn't strong enough when made very thin and kept cracking. I decided to try the concept again with the Chaparral which, in my opinion, came out very nice. The Raffir Noble and Maple versions were newer. As new materials become available, well add the version to the line.

We'll continue to make the Chaparral versions and keep making each model as long as sales are strong enough. When the market slows down on a particular variation, then it will be discontinued.

sal
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Thank you!
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

The kopa series was one of the best projects of knives by spyderco, the bolster and pommels are just a beautiful and old school part of the design.
:bug-red-white
sal

Post by sal »

Transported from "Edge Matters" forum in the UK circa May 2022;

I guess as long as we're Talkin' Story; Some of you may not be aware of the history? My wife, Gail, and I began Spyderco in January of 1976. We were homeless at the time, living in a 1955 International Step Van that was a bread delivery truck that we converted to a "motor-home". We towed a VW bug behind the truck containing our factory. We borrowed $250 to begin the company. We were also travelling with our 2 year old daughter. We traveled back and forth across the US, setting up our equipment in campground benches and selling our wares at county fairs. We settled in Golden, Colorado as our daughter had to begin school. Gail continued manufacturing product in Golden and shipped it to me while I continued to promote our company on-the-road.

We respect and appreciate the entrepreneurs and never forgot our roots. It's been a great ride and we are pleased and proud to be able to provide you with quality high performance products to enjoy.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Transported from the "Edge Matters" forum in the UK circa Oct 2022;

Talkin' Story: When I first joined UK forums "back-in-the-day", (20+ years ago) it was a bit of an adventure. Gail and I always enjoyed coming to the UK. The people, while a bit daft, were always enjoyable to spend time with. We spent time in London, went to plays, checked out surrounding areas, visited our distributor up north, spent sometime in Sheffield, bought a CATRA machine, etc. It was while we were in Sheffield that I had he notion to eventually try to build Spyderco knives in Sheffield. One of my major faults, (besides being OCD) is that I try to do too many things. I do get most of it done, but peripheral damage often has to be dealt with. Good thing I have a patient wife and great staff.

When I learned of the changes in the knife laws to 3" and non locking, I was inspired to try to serve that market. Working with forumites, on another forum, together we designed the UK Pen Knife. Some of you might remember? My staff thought I was nuts to try to build a one hand open non locking folder for an odd market across the pond. But being OCD and being sure I was right, we actually went into production on the UKPK. Sales were not great, but Persistence is King.

Now, decades later, we actually have a fair amount of "Slipit" models selling all over the world, and we owe it all to you. Because of that relationship, developed over time, I think some type of special model or project would be fun to create. We're having some capacity issues right now, but we're also expanding the Golden factory and by next year, we'll be in a better position to bring the project to fruition. So now is the time to figure out what that will be? A special handle material, a piece project that Lucky mentioned, engraving, steels, or some odd variation of the UK?

So let's begin the discussion. Maybe another thread? A special knife for the Brits, limited production, So what do we want?

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Transported from "Edge Matters" forum in the UK circa MAR 2023;

Hey Eee, Talkin' Story;

When we first introduced CPM-440V (S60V), it was the result of a trip to Crucible foundry back in the '90'S. I contacted them and told them we wanted to use their powdered metal in our knives and we'll be there on Wednesday. We just showed up, about 4 of us and had a long chat about steel. Their original reaction was, "who are you and you want to do what?"

We ended up selecting 440V and in the beginning, we ran it hard, about 60Rc and it turned out to be far too brittle. We ended up dropping the Rc to 55 to get some real overall performance, but it was a "mutha" to sharpen. Also a really difficult steel to grind. We've come a long way since then.

I agree with Joe, that any modern steel used as a sword would have to be tested in "Real World Testing". Actual "in use" testing often surprises us with what actually happens.

Particle metallurgy gave us more than better distribution of the alloys, it also gives us the opportunity to add more of particular alloys without migration on cooling. If you put more than 1.6% carbon in an ingot steel, the carbon migrates during cooling and you end up with clumps of carbon in the finished product. With powder, we can put as much of anything as we want. There is so much carbon and vanadium in some steels that we had to "invent" our own grinding wheels to be able to grind them.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Transported from the "Edge Matters" forum in te UK circa FEB 2019;

No problem and not really a derailment. I think it's all relevant.

LAWS:

Changing regulations on knives is a problem for us Globally. We're shipping to 50+ countries and each has their own laws and they are constantly changing. That's one of the reasons we work closely with distributors in each country so we can try to stay on top of that country's needs. There are a couple of organizations in the US that are fighting knife legislation. I don't know of any such groups ion any other countries.

The best that we've been able to come up with is to make special models that conform to the countries laws or needs. That's how we began the UKPK project a number of years ago. I have noticed that other manufacturers are also making models (slippies) more global. But laws do influence opinion, as well as the other way around and non of us knife afi's really want to be perceived as weird or dangerous because we carry a knife. I have added some discussion below on that for models.

TAXES:

The virus that has always plagued societies, politics, I don't think that there is any thin any of us can do in this area. Duties and VAT are an equal opportunity burden.

PRICE / COST:

As Chui mentioned, we are limited. First of all you need to know that Spyderco doesn't charge as much as the market will bear. We feel that is "biting the hand that feeds you". We have basic margins that serve us and the customer. That balance is always part of the equation. We can lower our costs only if we; 1) reduce the quality ( materials or tolerances ), 2) make our knives in China where there is a definite cost advantage.

Our distributors all get the same price and it is the best price we offer. We try to work with them very closely to develop our brand in each country. Shipping costs and taxes also affect their margins. However, We are making more knives in China ( the market demands lower prices ) and Eric is working on a USA made budget model(s).

SOLUTIONS:

To increase the public awareness that a knife is not a weapon, but a tool like a pen or flashlight is something that we as a community might be able to do. And I believe it will be necessary to slow the extinction of the edge. It will take some brainstorming. We all know the Brits are daft, but you are still the tip of the spear in social evolution. So what can we do, as a community to alter the public's thinking about the portable edge?

Perhaps we can create a PC friendly model(s) promoted as such? Ladybug, Manbug, Dragonfly Slipits in bright colors with blunt tips? They are more often thought of as "cute" than alarming. More of a thing mixed in with the coins in our pocket?

Talkin' Story: When Honda began to bring motorcycles to the US, there was a major problem with attitudes. At the time, Motorcycles were seen in the US as a negative sort of transportation for asocial types. So Fujisawa, Honda's marketing genius promoted low powered scooters on billboards with little old ladies and teens "Scooting along in bright sunny conditions. The captions read; "You meet the nicest people on a Honda". He changed the way Americans thought about motorcycles. The rest is history.

Can we do that with knives? that's what the "roadie" was all about. But it maybe it was too big? Too thick? It didn't do it regardless.

Can we create a model(s), styles or ad programs that can change the way Brits think of knives? Maybe a change in attitude could create a change in the laws? Just a thought to share.

sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The roadie is pretty conservative. Although you may be onto something with whimsical bright colors. Especially now that Spyderco is branching out into new blade coatings and coating colors.

Anecdotally my good friend is a High School teacher. Attitudes and laws about knives in schools are harsh in CA. And yet she carries a switchblade clipped to her bag/purse everyday and no one raises an eyebrow. She even uses it in her class sometimes. Part of why I believe it flys under the radar is because it's a 'Mini Dessert Warrior'. It has a pink handle with color sprinkles and a baby blue blade. It looks like a toy.

I don't think Spyderco has to make a doughnut knife, but what about a ladybug themed knife? Or something in that vein. Dragonfly themed? If the colors are distracting enough a fully blunt tip may not be necessary. Something like the manbug salt blade or Wharncliffe might work.

As for the cost, I can only speak for myself, but a lowering of quality is not preferable to higher costs. Not for me anyways. And the odds of me buying a knife made in China are near zero. I would rather live with higher costs.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:12 pm
The roadie is pretty conservative. Although you may be onto something with whimsical bright colors. Especially now that Spyderco is branching out into new blade coatings and coating colors.

Anecdotally my good friend is a High School teacher. Attitudes and laws about knives in schools are harsh in CA. And yet she carries a switchblade clipped to her bag/purse everyday and no one raises an eyebrow. She even uses it in her class sometimes. Part of why I believe it flys under the radar is because it's a 'Mini Dessert Warrior'. It has a pink handle with color sprinkles and a baby blue blade. It looks like a toy.

I don't think Spyderco has to make a doughnut knife, but what about a ladybug themed knife? Or something in that vein. Dragonfly themed? If the colors are distracting enough a fully blunt tip may not be necessary. Something like the manbug salt blade or Wharncliffe might work.

As for the cost, I can only speak for myself, but a lowering of quality is not preferable to higher costs. Not for me anyways. And the odds of me buying a knife made in China are near zero. I would rather live with higher costs.
Ditto.

I think fun colors and fun advertising is the way to go. Also, Spyderco has hunting models and I never see them advertised as such. The tactical image is only good for a small group and disadvantageous to the rest of us, even if the knives are the same.

I like the Roadie, but its blade is too thick. It needs to be thinner and more slicy. That is what such a knife is used for, slicing packages, or etc.

I like the idea of more colors on the Dragonful, Manbug, and Ladybug and I think a good fun marketing strategy would help.

Never cut corners. Once that gets started then it is easy to fudge some more. Then, a company will end up like those Frost knives, metal knife shaped objects.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:51 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:12 pm

Ditto.

I think fun colors and fun advertising is the way to go. Also, Spyderco has hunting models and I never see them advertised as such. The tactical image is only good for a small group and disadvantageous to the rest of us, even if the knives are the same.

I like the Roadie, but its blade is too thick. It needs to be thinner and more slicy. That is what such a knife is used for, slicing packages, or etc.

I like the idea of more colors on the Dragonful, Manbug, and Ladybug and I think a good fun marketing strategy would help.

Never cut corners. Once that gets started then it is easy to fudge some more. Then, a company will end up like those Frost knives, metal knife shaped objects.
Honestly I seek out bright colors specifically not to draw attention to my knives. I’d love if spyderco did a doughnut knife colab with BladeHQ. Dougnelica
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Transported from Bladeforums:
Talkin' Story;

It's more than just another Mule Team. Gail and I have been playing around with ceramic stones and even ceramic knives for a long time. We did extensive testing with Kyocera Ceramic knives. Mostly Kitchen knives. We've tested USA made ceramic knives, diving with them in our search for a Salt Water material capable of holding an edge.

The HIC material was brought t us by one of our regular forum guys on our site forum. "Fireman". I hadn't herd of them. In discussion on the forum, the Mule Team folks indicated that they would like to try a Mule Team, so we began the hunt. It was more complicated than we thought, but to tell the truth, pretty much all of the Mule Teams present us with new challenges.

So now we've got this ceramic "Sport Knife", probably one of the first of its kind. And I'm curious to see where it can/will go. Some of our Mule Team steels became regular "in-the-line" steels, like K390, which we would not have put into the line had we not made a Mule Team and gotten a good response.

It's a very unique piece. We also have scales and two types of sheaths available for transport. It says Spyderco HIC on the blade and Switzerland as Country of Origin on the blade.

I've challenged the folks on the Mule Team sub forum to share sharpening techniques that we learn with the material.

sal