Sneaky Sneaky Shot Show Reveals

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Sneaky Sneaky Shot Show Reveals

Post by Wartstein »

apollo wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:02 pm
Kinda bummed out that the new rex steel will again be in that burned Orange.
It makes spydies look like something that was put in a display in the sun for 20 years that nobody ever wanted to buy…

Did you ever actually own a burnt orange Spydie?
Some folks say that color grows on them.

... I personally really like it anyway (have three burnt orange models).

It is a warm eartthone that can actually be found in nature (especially in fall) - but it it is not too dark or dull, so the knife is less likely to get lost, while it is still not "screaming" and obtrusive, like "real" orange.

Depending on the lighting it is more orange or more brown.

...And it is a bit different between Golden and Seki (at least in FRN/FRCP)... wonder how Taichung will do it.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:05 am
apollo wrote:
It makes spydies look like something that was put in a display in the sun for 20 years that nobody ever wanted to buy…
Did you ever actually own a burnt orange Spydie?
Some folks say that color grows on them.

... I personally really like it anyway (have three burnt orange models).

It is a warm eartthone that can actually be found in nature (especially in fall) - but it it is not too dark or dull, so the knife is less likely to get lost, while it is still not "screaming" and obtrusive, like "real" orange.

Depending on the lighting it is more orange or more brown.

...And it is a bit different between Golden and Seki (at least in FRN/FRCP)... wonder how Taichung will do it.
Why would i complain about it if i never seen it in person? I have the Shaman and the G10 Manix. You know the one all the strong bodybuilders heroes here call the "heavy weight"... ;)

By the way i do not want it to be safety orange but i rather have that then this.
I am just not happy looking at the colors spyderco's pushes out in exclusives and every time its for everyone they keep using the same colors over and over. Why cant they give us something different? In the end the steel isnt the same so the color should not be identical then.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

apollo wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:33 am
Wartstein wrote:
apollo wrote:
Why would i complain about it if i never seen it in person? I have the Shaman and the G10 Manix. You know the one all the strong bodybuilders heroes here call the "heavy weight"... ;)

By the way i do not want it to be safety orange but i rather have that then this.
I am just not happy looking at the colors spyderco's pushes out in exclusives and every time its for everyone they keep using the same colors over and over. Why cant they give us something different? In the end the steel isnt the same so the color should not be identical then.
Did not mean to critisize you by any means, my apologies should I have come across like this! It was just an honest question out of interest. :clinking-mugs

And burnt orange definitely IS a "controversial" color, many appearantly do NOT care for much! I just happen to really like it.

/ But honestly I think there are actually not many new colors left Spyderco COULD use...and generally the "color coding" is a cool thing imo.
Regardless which color they choose, there'll always be a share of folks who don't like it (I for example would though not mind, but also not exactly like blurple).

/ On the "heavyweight thing": No offense, but we've discussed that a lot already and it is completely not the topic here - ?
The G10 Manix just IS the "heavyweight" compared to the alternative that is literally called the Manix 2 lightweight... and I totally respect that you happen to prefer the former. Just like for me the evolution and real genius in knife making shows itself better in creating that simple, light, but still strong FRN/FRCP handles, which on top are just a nicer carry and feel better in my personal use and hand.
To each their own, right? :smlling-eyes
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

I’m holding out on the bodacious until it’s released in a different steel which I’m sure is coming.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
apollo

Post by apollo »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:12 am
apollo wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
apollo wrote:

Did not mean to critisize you by any means, my apologies should I have come across like this! It was just an honest question out of interest. :clinking-mugs

And burnt orange definitely IS a "controversial" color, many appearantly do NOT care for much! I just happen to really like it.

/ But honestly I think there are actually not many new colors left Spyderco COULD use...and generally the "color coding" is a cool thing imo.
Regardless which color they choose, there'll always be a share of folks who don't like it (I for example would though not mind, but also not exactly like blurple).

/ On the "heavyweight thing": No offense, but we've discussed that a lot already and it is completely not the topic here - ?
The G10 Manix just IS the "heavyweight" compared to the alternative that is literally called the Manix 2 lightweight... and I totally respect that you happen to prefer the former. Just like for me the evolution and real genius in knife making shows itself better in creating that simple, light, but still strong FRN/FRCP handles, which on top are just a nicer carry and feel better in my personal use and hand.
To each their own, right? :smlling-eyes
Buddy i hope you know i was just messing around with you when i mentioned the heavy weight thing?? To me at least its just fun and games between us nothing serious. :zany

And on youre part no offence taken. You probably just missed my rex pictures i made in the past. :savouring
I am a big fan of the rex 45 steel.
And i am brain dead in love with the rex 45 manix i have because it has such a beautiful rough satin finish!!
I have a friend making scales for it as we speak.

And i guess you can be right but i still hope one day we might see some change in the coloring of spydies. I really want to have some stock models to instead of always needing to buy customs scales to make what the eye can see match with the quality that are spydies.
I hope you can relate to what i mean?
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:51 pm
im excited a out the new coatings. dlc has a great ability to resist corrosion better than satin blades but they also increase drag. plus lowered cost is nice to hear. with larger models dlc option can add $30-50.

really interesting stuff. excited to learn more!
https://madcustomcoating.com/mad-black/

Referring to the new coatings, I wonder if it is something like this. I found it last week when I was looking into coatings I could finish my police SS with. The new coating Eric is talking about could be in this realm
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

apollo wrote:
Respect your opinion but burnt orange is my favorite handle color ever.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

RugerNurse wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:54 am
I’m holding out on the bodacious until it’s released in a different steel which I’m sure is coming.
Maybe 15V one day, maybe soon with the Reveal 15 coming soon.
Last edited by WilliamMunny on Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:05 pm
RugerNurse wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:54 am
Maybe 15V one day, maybe soon with the Revel 15 coming soon.
Revel 15V…
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
apollo

Post by apollo »

twinboysdad wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:00 pm
apollo wrote:
Respect your opinion but burnt orange is my favorite handle color ever.
I respect your opinion aswel and i am very glad for you! I will be glad aswel once my wallet cried a little to change the scales. ;) :squinting-tongue
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

Vamais wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:51 pm

All the Golden models will get Magnacut
All the Golden models will get Spy27
All the Golden models will get CruCarta'd
Delica 4 - Japan - :disappointed

Stretch 2 - Japan - :disappointed

Techno 2 - Taiwan - :disappointed

Autonomy 2 - US - CruCarta - Bwahahahahahaha...... :beaming-face
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

apollo wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:54 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:12 am
apollo wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Buddy i hope you know i was just messing around with you when i mentioned the heavy weight thing?? To me at least its just fun and games between us nothing serious. :zany

And on youre part no offence taken. You probably just missed my rex pictures i made in the past. :savouring
I am a big fan of the rex 45 steel.
And i am brain dead in love with the rex 45 manix i have because it has such a beautiful rough satin finish!!
I have a friend making scales for it as we speak.

And i guess you can be right but i still hope one day we might see some change in the coloring of spydies. I really want to have some stock models to instead of always needing to buy customs scales to make what the eye can see match with the quality that are spydies.
I hope you can relate to what i mean?

Hey my friend, I indeed missed the winking face emoji you put behind your words about the "heavyweight" thing and took it too seriously... silly of me, sorry for that! All good of course! :clinking-mugs

I do find the "heavy vs lightweight" discussion entertaining too, as long as folks don´t adamentely insist on that everything FRN is nothing more than "cheap plastic" - and you definitley do NOT do this, despite your preference for the heavier built!

/ I get what you mean!
Still, for me the very special and unique and imo classy while still not boring burnt orange does "match the quality that are Spydies" - but among many things concerning knvies that are purely subjective, color is a prominent example of course.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

kriezek wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:05 pm
Vamais wrote:

Feels like a huge missed opportunity not having MagnaCut in the Seki produced knives, especially the Salt series. Even conservative manufacturers like Boker are getting in on the act. Plain edge Salt 2 and Stretch XL models in Magnacut would be an instant purchase for me but at this rate I can't see them turning up before 2025. So come on Spyderco - gimme a chance to give you some cash :grin-smiling-eyes
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kriezek wrote:
Vamais wrote:

Farmer wrote:
kriezek wrote:
Vamais wrote:

Feels like a huge missed opportunity not having MagnaCut in the Seki produced knives, especially the Salt series. Even conservative manufacturers like Boker are getting in on the act. Plain edge Salt 2 and Stretch XL models in Magnacut would be an instant purchase for me but at this rate I can't see them turning up before 2025. So come on Spyderco - gimme a chance to give you some cash :grin-smiling-eyes

Well, in the "non corrosion arena" one could also see it the other way round and feel like it is a "missed opportunity" that ONLY the Sekie models come in H1/H2 and that only SOME Golden Salt models come in LC200N..

Though I am sure Magnacut is great stuff, it is not clear to me if LC200N (or H1/H2) might not be an at least as good or even better choice in "real life" for quite some people.

In this context you might find Erics quotes from a recen vid interesting, see here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96011&start=40#p1767210
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:20 pm

Well, in the "non corrosion arena" one could also see it the other way round and feel like it is a "missed opportunity" that ONLY the Sekie models come in H1/H2 and that only SOME Golden Salt models come in LC200N..

Though I am sure Magnacut is great stuff, it is not clear to me if LC200N (or H1/H2) might not be an at least as good or even better choice in "real life" for quite some people.

In this context you might find Erics quotes from a recen vid interesting, see here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96011&start=40#p1767210
I’m sure LC200N would be ok for many people but the market is asking for Magnacut. So, whilst it is of course entirely their choice, it seems like a bit of an own-goal for Spyderco not to offer that steel in their most popular (and cheapest) products. Just my opinion though.

Re other ‘salty’ steels, I’m sure LC200N would be ok as a Magnacut alternative (although I much prefer the latter’s balance of properties). But I think both those steels make plain edge H1/H2 almost obsolete and it will be interesting to see whether it’s still offered in a couple of years time. However for serrated blades H1/H2 remains a very strong contender.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Farmer wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:38 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:20 pm

I’m sure LC200N would be ok for many people but the market is asking for Magnacut. So, whilst it is of course entirely their choice, it seems like a bit of an own-goal for Spyderco not to offer that steel in their most popular (and cheapest) products. Just my opinion though.

Re other ‘salty’ steels, I’m sure LC200N would be ok as a Magnacut alternative (although I much prefer the latter’s balance of properties). But I think both those steels make plain edge H1/H2 almost obsolete and it will be interesting to see whether it’s still offered in a couple of years time. However for serrated blades H1/H2 remains a very strong contender.

The strongest
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I noticed on the spyderco.com page banner at the top a picture of the Magnacut PM2 Salt with what is likely the new Spyderco developed coating. In the picture it looks pretty good. I am interested to see what other colors they come out with.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Ok, that's hilarious. If you have your speakers turned on the 2024 Product Guide makes the sound of pages flipping when you click the next arrow. I never noticed that before.
- Richard
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

apollo wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:26 pm
That could be but rit dye is almost impossible to find here and its more like 30€ if you so happen to find it . And then its always black or maybe grey that's it...
That's a shame. You can't order it online? The Rit DyeMore for synthetic material is what you want and it can work wonders. Red would be awesome but there are a bunch of colors that could work there (and black remains a choice if you do something else and don't like it!)
cjk wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:31 pm
One of the vids showed off a blue Sage 5 lightweight in SPY27.
Evidently SPY27 has also been allowed to leave the good ole USA. 😁
I'd be way into that. There are less choices with blue but I'd probably dye that too...
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:13 pm
That prototype Tan coated blade is really promising. Definitely see that paired with a G19X on instagram EDC posts.

A dark Army Green I think would also be awesome if that's an option, especially as we're getting back to Green military vehicles post-Ukraine / Pivot to Asia.

Something like the green used in the Windmill JP Windproof lighter, paired with a black G10 handle and green clip / screws... yes please.